Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridley Orion 901r

Options
  • 06-02-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering if this bike is any good, any advice greatly received, or if you know of a better bike in the same price bracket €1300 please let me know. Spec below:

Shifters Shimano Tiagra 9 speed
    Chainset Elita triple
    Front derailer Tiagra
    Rear derailer Tiagra
    Brake set 4ZA
    Wheels 4ZA stratus
    Tyres Vredestein
    Saddle 4ZA stratos
    Finishing Kit 4ZA
    Bottle cage 4ZA tail
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The Orion is a fine bike but I'm boased as I have one (two actually). You can get it for a bit less here http://www.thebikeshop.ie/details.aspx?pid=P3325&cid=&sid=
    and possibly even bargain them a bit more (as I hear they have a fair few left.....)

There are probably other makes/models in the same price point......others will be along shortly to volunteer .....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Recent threads on here suggest that the tiagra 9-speed has been superseded by the 10 speed, and parts are becoming hard to get. Given a choice at this stage, I'd probably prefer a compact with a wide range on the cassette than a triple, even though I use a triple myself. Could be worth seeing what options are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Thanks BlaaMan,

What do you think of the spec of the bike for that price?

smacl wrote: »
    Recent threads on here suggest that the tiagra 9-speed has been superseded by the 10 speed, and parts are becoming hard to get. Given a choice at this stage, I'd probably prefer a compact with a wide range on the cassette than a triple, even though I use a triple myself. Could be worth seeing what options are available.

Ok thanks for that maybe they could change it? How much would I be expecting to pay to get it changes and wat would you recommend? Sorry but I am new to this so my knowledge isnt great..

I'm a relative newbie myself, but having wasted too many hours drooling over too many bike adds, for €1300 I'd reckon on getting a new 10 speed tiagra or even 105 set-up. I don't think it is something you should be paying extra for on a new bike. The link theblaaman put up just says tiagra, could be worth giving them a shout and getting more details.

• Advertisement

I'm a relative newbie myself, but having wasted too many hours drooling over too many bike adds, for €1300 I'd reckon on getting a new 10 speed tiagra or even 105 set-up. I don't think it is something you should be paying extra for on a new bike. The link theblaaman put up just says tiagra, could be worth giving them a shout and getting more details.

Would you recommend any bikes with a 105 set-up in my price frame? Ill check out that tiagra I didnt spot that it was different, thanks for that :)
    What is a good all-rounder for the price I want to pay, what about a Planet-X?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Haven't got a road bike myself but if I had the 1300 odd eur to spend on one I'd most likely look at the Planet X offers. You should be able to get a full carbon frame with a decent SRAM group for that money from them.

If not for a carbon frame then there are some good reviews about the Cannondale CAAD10 and CAAD8 models (everybody seems to be over the moon by the quality of the frame). Also the new models of simpler alu Trek and Giant bikes have the 10sp Tiagra groups on them.
    I've heard a lot of good things about Canyon MTBs but haven't paid much attention to their road bikes tbh. But the Roadlite (alu frame) looks like a good option for 1k eur with Shimano's 105 group and decent looking wheels.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, having ended up with a 2nd hand Ridley Triton myself as a first road bike, keeping my money until I get a better idea of what I'm really after. If you look at the likes of planet-x and canyon you seem to be getting much better specs for your money, but that doesn't necessarily add up to a better bike. Depends what you want the bike for as well; for me it's all about comfort over long leisurely days on the bike, rather than the fastest, lightest, or even best looking bike on offer. I'd also hit the hills on the majority of leisure spins, so having low enough gearing to get up steep hills without coughing up a lung is important.

If it's about style, I think the Ridley Orion looks the business. Personally, I'd want a bit more for my €1300, or want to pay a bit less.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Haven't got a road bike myself but if I had the 1300 odd eur to spend on one I'd most likely look at the Planet X offers. You should be able to get a full carbon frame with a decent SRAM group for that money from them.

If not for a carbon frame then there are some good reviews about the Cannondale CAAD10 and CAAD8 models (everybody seems to be over the moon by the quality of the frame). Also the new models of simpler alu Trek and Giant bikes have the 10sp Tiagra groups on them.
    I've heard a lot of good things about Canyon MTBs but haven't paid much attention to their road bikes tbh. But the Roadlite (alu frame) looks like a good option for 1k eur with Shimano's 105 group and decent looking wheels.

Thanks for the advice, Im just looking for something to get me started but want to get the best that I can for the budget I have. Im not sure how serious I will get into cycling but I dont want to get a bike that will turn me off either!

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, having ended up with a 2nd hand Ridley Triton myself as a first road bike, keeping my money until I get a better idea of what I'm really after. If you look at the likes of planet-x and canyon you seem to be getting much better specs for your money, but that doesn't necessarily add up to a better bike. Depends what you want the bike for as well; for me it's all about comfort over long leisurely days on the bike, rather than the fastest, lightest, or even best looking bike on offer. I'd also hit the hills on the majority of leisure spins, so having low enough gearing to get up steep hills without coughing up a lung is important.

If it's about style, I think the Ridley Orion looks the business. Personally, I'd want a bit more for my €1300, or want to pay a bit less.

Im not too fussy to be honest, I just want something light and comfortable to get started really, just the best bike I can get for the budget. Style isnt really a factor ideally i want to start off on shorte spins and then increase it to maybe 75 miles or something I dont know if I would be trying to go further its just for fitness as jogging is out with lower back and shin problems so I want something thats easy on the body!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Recent threads on here suggest that the tiagra 9-speed has been superseded by the 10 speed, and parts are becoming hard to get.
    That's not the case yet. 9 speed and 8 speed stuff is still readily available.

Can you get Cannondale bikes in Ireland? Im living in Cork so anywhre near here would be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I bought an Orion 901r frame last month and built it up. I'm really enjoying it I must say. Great bike.

IF you had to choose between the Cannondale, Ridley and Planet-X which one would you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I have a Cannondale CAAD9 and I like it. However, it's my second bike. If I were to choose between the three which you've narrowed it down to I'd go with the PX with Rival. I'd probably pay a little more and swap out some of the components. This probably wouldn't be an option for you if you were to go for the Cannondale or the Ridley.

thank you Lemag, advice greatly received. Where did you get your bike from? Is there any stockists in the Cork area, or would you recommend a good local bike shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

empty21 wrote: »
    IF you had to choose between the Cannondale, Ridley and Planet-X which one would you go for?

Me?

I wouldn't have a particular loyalty to any myself, I'd buy on overall spec. I'd be reluctant to dip below 105 though in the groupset.

Cannondale's are lovely looking machines, and I'd be well happy with a high quality aluminium frame instead of carbon and 105 or maybe even ultegra if you could wangle it.
    Planet-x's I have no direct experience of either but it's hard to argue with the specs and prices, and they've moved on a bit from the primary colours school of art and design :)

The Ridley is a high quality bike, I'm really liking it, haven't had it long but have used it weekly for 120k+ club spins on all sorts of roads and in some sh1tty weather and it's been faultless. A notably comfortable ride quality too, without any flexy downsides. -If I had to pick a fault with it, it's that it's quite obviously an '09 frame as in the styling and paint scheme is a bit dated looking now.

Here's mine in winter spec now - mudguards don't do any bike any favours, and a nicer set of wheels would lift the styling too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76389167&postcount=4233

This is the Planet X spec in my price range:

Shifters: SRAM Rival 10 Speed Double Tap Black
    Rear Mech: SRAM Rival Road Short Cage
    Front Mech: SRAM Rival Band On 34.9mm Double
    Chainset: Sram Apex Mirror Black 50-34T with GXP BB
    Cassette: SRAM PG1050 10sp 11-26
    Chain SRAM PC1051 10sp
    Bars: Planet X Road Bar Strada Shallow Drop Black 31.8 mm Clamp
    Stem: Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Black 6 degrees 31.8 mm Clamp
    Headset: Planet X Integrated 1"1/8 Black Integrated
    Saddle: Selle Italia Shiver
    Seatpost: Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Alloy 31.6 mm Black
    Tyres: Vittoria Zaffiro Wired Road Tyre / 700c / Black / 23mm
    Wheelset: Planet X Model B / Silver

thank you Lemag, advice greatly received. Where did you get your bike from? Is there any stockists in the Cork area, or would you recommend a good local bike shop?
    I bought my bike from a German website. I don't think that I've ever seen a Cannondale rad bike in any Cork store. The only dealer in Ireland which I was able find from the Cannondale site is base.ie. I've never actually heard of them. The best selection of bikes in Cork would probably be the Edge. They tend to be pricey though. There are Planet X dealers in Athlone if you think that it'd be worth the trek to get a look at the bike before buying.
    This is the Planet X spec in my price range:

Shifters: SRAM Rival 10 Speed Double Tap Black
    Rear Mech: SRAM Rival Road Short Cage
    Front Mech: SRAM Rival Band On 34.9mm Double
    Chainset: Sram Apex Mirror Black 50-34T with GXP BB
    Cassette: SRAM PG1050 10sp 11-26
    Chain SRAM PC1051 10sp
    Bars: Planet X Road Bar Strada Shallow Drop Black 31.8 mm Clamp
    Stem: Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Black 6 degrees 31.8 mm Clamp
    Headset: Planet X Integrated 1"1/8 Black Integrated
    Saddle: Selle Italia Shiver
    Seatpost: Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Alloy 31.6 mm Black
    Tyres: Vittoria Zaffiro Wired Road Tyre / 700c / Black / 23mm
    Wheelset: Planet X Model B / Silver
    I have a preference for SRAM components so this would get the thumbs up from me. The Model B wheels are supposed to be quite good. There are a couple of members here who've had Rival shifter levers snap. It won't necessary happen to you. A friend of mine recently had his 105 RD snap for no apparent reason. There will be incidents of failure for every component out there.

Thanks Lemag,

Started to chek out the Planet X bikes and they get great reviews alright may be worth looking into a bit further, see the stockists are in Athlone, which is a bit of a trek but could be worth it.

Do pedals come with bikes or do you need to buy them seperate, how much would they cost roughly and shoes and a well cushioned pair of shorts? I am tight on the €1300 so maybe I should factor the extras in too??

• Advertisement

Do pedals come with bikes or do you need to buy them seperate, how much would they cost roughly and shoes and a well cushioned pair of shorts? I am tight on the €1300 so maybe I should factor the extras in too??
    Pedals won't come with the bike. They can cost anything from €20 to €300. Have a route around online to get an idea of the prices for what you might be looking for. This post contains a few bike shop links to get you started. Shoes tend to be more expensive and are probably the one item that you really ought to try on and buy from you local bike shop.

Lemag wrote: »

Pedals won't come with the bike. They can cost anything from €20 to €300. Have a route around online to get an idea of the prices for what you might be looking for. This post contains a few bike shop links to get you started. Shoes tend to be more expensive and are probably the one item that you really ought to try on and buy from you local bike shop.

Again thank you I think I have a lot of searching to do, when did buying a bike get so complicated!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I am in a similar situation with an identical budget, and for me it's a choice between the planet x pro carbon with SRAM rival groupset, or the canyon roadlte al 7.0 with ultegra groupset.

Basically, do I go for a carbon frame with a good groupset or an aluminium frame with a really good groupset?

colm_gti wrote: »
    I am in a similar situation with an identical budget, and for me it's a choice between the planet x pro carbon with SRAM rival groupset, or the canyon roadlte al 7.0 with ultegra groupset.

Basically, do I go for a carbon frame with a good groupset or an aluminium frame with a really good groupset?

Options options!! Where can you get Canyon bikes??

Direct from canyon is the only place you can get them I'm told

Direct from canyon is the only place you can get them I'm told

I think deciding on a bike has got to be one of the most complicated processes I have seen in a longtime!! My lbs said he would make one up for me using a tifosi frame for 1300 didn't get a full spec of him but just a general ball park.

Can you buy off the net?? What about frame size etc?? 5ft 9" or 10" some give sizes in cms some are small medium large...

Confused....

canyon.com for Canyon bikes. I'm living in the city centre (Cork) if you'd like to get a first hand look at my CAAD9. It ain't got no chain on it at the moment so you wouldn't be able to take it for a spin but you'd get some idea of the quality. I've also got a couple of Canyons but niether of them at are the Roadlite model which colm_gti mentioned. PM me to arrange the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

I decided to go alloy with better components over carbon; but you could also look at Dolan bikes, you can build any frame with the three group sets

http://www.dolanbikes.com

Rival and Ultegra work differently. You can make a direct comparison between their weight - Rival comes out lighter. Other than that, it's about personal preference. I have Red/Force on one bike and 105 on another. I prefer the SRAM so I would actually be inclined to go for Rival before Ultegra.

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    Rival and Ultegra work differently. You can make a direct comparison between their weight - Rival comes out lighter. Other than that, it's about personal preference. I have Red/Force on one bike and 105 on another. I prefer the SRAM so I would actually be inclined to go for Rival before Ultegra.

That's it exactly, my current bike has tiagra, and I've gotten used to the way shimano stuff works, and was completely lost when I tried Plastik's Planet X with SRAM rival stuff, but I'd imagine one long spin with the SRAM groupset and I'd be used to it.

Advertisement