Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good (romantic!) restaurant in Kilkenny please

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

foody28 wrote: »
    The level of service I received by management tonight is a prime example of a restaurant that continues to receive customers due to location and does not care about how it treats it's customers.

If that were the case, as a repeat customer of long-standing, surely you'd have encountered or observed poor levels of service on previous occasions & accordingly taken your business elsewhere?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Grapevine is great if you like tapas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 foody28

Yamanato, my outrage was directed at the fact that a new manager was employed who clearly has about as much customer service skills as a turnip! I was upset as I have gone to the restaurant for years and was shocked at this treatment, I only spoke of one incident with a manager I was unfamiliar with, not an ongoing problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If you are unhappy with a place, slate them on Tripadvisor.

Just be sure to commend the places athat are actually good too though. I always do this. It's good for the service industry overall if people rate online - it goes a long way towards eliminating tourist traps and business with high turnover off passing trade and makes everyone up their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Sky King wrote: »
    If you are unhappy with a place, slate them on Tripadvisor.

Just be sure to commend the places athat are actually good too though. I always do this. It's good for the service industry overall if people rate online - it goes a long way towards eliminating tourist traps and business with high turnover off passing trade and makes everyone up their game.

Well said, this is the way to go. Wrt the poster, I'm not particularly surprised, I've found the staff in Rinuccini to be very arrogant....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 foody28

Definitely, I always have a check of tripadvisor when travelling so have voiced my opinion there also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Not from Kilkenny but I eat there a bit, imo you have a gem in Campagne number one in Kilkenny by a country mile.
    Zunnis is also very good package all round.
    Sol a lovely cafe never ate at night but tasty and imaginative.
    For a relatively small place you are really blessed with good eateries .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I checked tripadvisor, to be honest the accolades the restaurant received makes one wonder about the poster's comments.
    I personally have only eaten there once, but I would not put the place down on that experience.
    There are others who rave about campagne, yes it is lovely but there are some adverse comments. One should remember food is like a wine, some good some not so good, it also depends on ones expectations and the quality of food you are used to.
    Okay if I dine at the Ivy in London there is no way one can compare Kilkenny restaurants, different world.
    Food is very personal, Mc Donalds is down to earth and very reasonable, I am not a food gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, it has to be served hot depending on what is ordered, presentable and most of all clean.
    Michelin or any other stars mean very little, is it not the same with the chef, because he or she is well known it must be good.
    Just enjoy or if you have a complaint tell the management, do not attempt to ruin business it is hard enough these days, personally I think too much has been written on the subject.
    A storm in a teacup

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OpenYourMind

I agree with the above... Food is very relative, one person's feast is another person's gruel. In general, Kilkenny does offer a lot of quality places to eat for a city it's size.

I find that Tripadvisor is starting to 'level off' in terms of overall ratings. I'm not just referring to Kilkenny or restaurants. We were in a well-known holiday spot last year (travelling independently, not on a package etc). Ate in some really poor places, which were overpriced. Looking back at Tripadvisor then later (in an effort to find a decent place), we found all restaurants in the area were averaging total "scores" of 4.5 or 5 out of 5 - even the ones that clearly didn't deserve it. I've noticed a similar trend throughout the site.

My point is... well, the first sentence I wrote, and also TA is reaching 'maturity' as a business concept I think - you need to approach everything with an 'Open Mind'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Roma cafe, she'll never forget!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Michelin or any other stars mean very little, is it not the same with the chef, because he or she is well known it must be good.

We're gonna have to very much disagree on that one, it takes a huge amount of effort and quality to achieve a Michelin star.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement