Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reference from company that went into liquidation

• 06-02-2012 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I wonder could anyone help.

My boyfriend worked with a company for 5 years as a plumber but got no papers, the company has gone into liquidation since 2008.

He then went onto do something completely different for a few years as couldnt find work as a plumber.

We are considering emigrating and would like a reference from his company, does anybody know if there is away we could get one?

I have tried searching for email addresses and phone numbers but nothing, I have also tried Linkedin and cannot track down anybody.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Do you know who the liquidators were? They might be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If your boyfriend was on speaking terms with any of the company directors or secretary, he might be able to get their home address from the CRO website and contact them asking for a reference. That will be their home address when the docs were submitted though, so may not be up to date.

Sounds obvious, but has he checked the phone book for any of the managers' home numbers/addresses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Eoin wrote: »
    If your boyfriend was on speaking terms with any of the company directors or secretary, he might be able to get their home address from the CRO website and contact them asking for a reference. That will be their home address when the docs were submitted though, so may not be up to date.

Sounds obvious, but has he checked the phone book for any of the managers' home numbers/addresses?

Looking for the managers name and address and asking them to give a reference is bad form. The manager is no longer part of the company at this stage. Would be similar to asking a manager at previous employer who no longer works there. Its pointless.

Would be best to contact the liquidator about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

chris85 wrote: »
    Looking for the managers name and address and asking them to give a reference is bad form. The manager is no longer part of the company at this stage. Would be similar to asking a manager at previous employer who no longer works there. Its pointless.

No, it's not bad form at all. What makes you think that? If you want a reference that's more than just confirmation of the position and dates of service, then of course it will often involve a reference from a manager who has also moved on.

My referee from one of my previous companies has also left, but he can still obviously give me a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The reference would be from the manager or director in their personal capacity - not an unreasonable request to make.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

That happened to me years ago and I was able to get the logo off the web and basically made my own headed paper/reference. It worked at the time as the signee(me) could not be traced to verify. At the time it was better than nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, four18, what you did could be somewhat illegal. And breaking the law is not something we encourage here.

/moderation

That said ... I can understand why you did it, and might even do something similar myself - IF there were no consequences. I certainly wouldn't do it for getting time counted towards an apprenticeship.

Anyone reading this thread should see it as a reminder to keep note of the contact details of their colleages and managers - as individuals, not just at the company. You never know when you'll need 'em.

Advertisement