Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford 7710 price

• 06-02-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I'd like some opinions on the the price I should pay for a 1987 Ford 7710, series 1, 2wd. Tyres 50%, don't know the hours though!

The engine has been "done" whatever that is, apparently some of these have porus blocks and I was told it was lined or something. Going well now though I'm told.

It's got a Q cab and is very clean, all lights and everything working.

Also, am I risking it by buying something that I know has a porus block?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP are you a cornossuir of machinery?

AFAIK if there was a good job done on the liners you are ok. Have a look in the rad for traces of oil and 'mayo' on the oil filler cap. If in doubt take someone with you who has a bit of mechanical knowledge. Ballpark value somewhere in the region of 4,500 to 7,000 for a really clean one, but it is very hard to say without seeing it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jj92

Thanks Blue5000, I'm not a connoisseur for sure, but my mate in Cork heard of this one up for sale and I need something around 100hp. I should have said, the year is 1987.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

the 7710 is a big tractor what do you plan to use it for?. reason i ask is that a 4wd is better than a 2wd. the 7710 is basicly a beefed up version of the 7610 more suited to tillage and draft work then general farm work like a 7610. its higher and more heavy so can be a bit of a pain in low sheds.
    would have seen a lot of them with tillage and contractors over the years, saw loads of them pulling beet and drawing silage and grain. they tend to be a bit cheaper than the 7610 cos they are not a pratcial for work around a yard, but out the field are very good.

the 2wd wouldnt be great out in a wet field though

I'm looking to replace a 2wd david Brown 1690 that has a cracked engine block. The 1690 is (was!) just over 100hp so the 7710 is close enough. It'll be pumping slurry in the winter topping with a 10ft mounted topper, spraying with a 600L sprayer and transporting bales. I think I'd want a minimum 90hp tractor for pumping the slurry at any rate.

The 7710 will be more than big enough for all that. I know of a few people that got them but then were surprised how big they were if your coming from a 1690 it wont be too much different. is the 1690 6 cylinder?

As for the engine find out what "done" means. The newer series 10's have a ribbed block that is a series of raised ribs criss crossing the block. These are less likely to be porous. The older blocks on the 000 and 600 series ones were more likely to let the water in. The cylinders are bored out and a liner pushed in to seal it. If the engine was done then it might just have been the block was done and not just the head and bearings. If the engine was rebuilt then it like a new engine when done right

• Advertisement

Yes the 1690 is a 6 cylinder .

I was told that new liners were put in the 7710. I reckon it's straight enough. Any thoughts on an offer price?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

Once its in good order and fairly straight it will be worth between €4500 and 6k,being 1987 it should have a Super Q cab but might not as hundreds of Q cabs built between 1980 and 84 are knocking around with later registrations on them,a Super Q cab will have 4 spotlamps integrated into the roof at the front and back and have a square shaped flat roof,the Q cab has a rounder roof.

Its probably worth a bit more if its a super Q but beware of rust,both cabs suffered from excessive rust but the super Q was worse,have a very close look at the bottom of the windscreen,the back mudgaurds,under the side windows,the bottom of the doors etc,if its been patched up and its done fairly well you are ok,if theres holes everywhere you have a lot of work to do,this problem isnt an easy fix.

Theres a strong export market for this exact model at the minute,you wont get it for any less than €4500 id reckon but definitely dont pay anymore than a little over 6k for it or it will be getting very dear for what it is.

as long as the engine aint blowing and pissing out oil it'll be grand. as for money second hand tractors are over priced when your buying but you wont get much when selling. 7710's can vary from anything from 5 to 10k depending on the condition. not seeing it i wouldnt be too sure wount pay than more than 7 for a good 2wd though and thats probaly a bit on the high side

I'll keep a good look out for rust and see if it's Q or super Q cab. If it's in good nick I'll make an offer.

the super q is a better job, more comfortable and much quiter so it'll cost a bit more. the q cab (bubble) was there for seris 1 and 2 so its proabaly a q cab. the layouts are pretty much the same with the gears on your right.

another thing check the hitch there are a few differnt types, most have a cable lever to open and close and the hitch can be changed from pin to hook by turning the hitch around, but there are a few that have only one type of hitch. there are also some with no pick up and i've seen others with a manual pick up where you reach out teh back window and push and long lever back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement