Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy pre-made starter and dessert ideas

Options
  • 06-02-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I've gotten myself involved in a sort of supper club with 4 other people who I don't know very well. I'm not the most confident of cooks and it's my turn this week (Wednesday).

I've decided to cook jambalaya as the mains as I've made it before and I'm comfortable with it. But I have no clue what to do for starters and dessert. It would be great to have something that I could make earlier and serve it cold or re-heated. But jambalaya is really hard to match up with anything.

Maybe something like a spicy prawn or chicken salad might work. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

If you don't know them very well, I'd be inclined to do a selection of dips - roast pepper, smoked mackerel, olive tapenade and hummus with crackers or breads.

It means everyone should find something they like.

If you'd prefer to make something more formal what about gazpacho or smoked chicken salad? They are both quite light (I consider Jambalaya to be a heavy dish) and not strong tasting.

For dessert I'd do a coconut creme brulee. Very easy to make and would nicely finish a jambalaya.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Thanks for the suggestions Dinkie!
    I'm going to go for the salad but with prawns instead of chicken. Seems like an easy enough option....fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you want something really easy, go for carrot sticks and hummus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I would suggest ribs as a starter, you can pre marinate the crap out of them and then bang them in the oven with a nice glaze on them and then chocolate pecan pie and vanilla icecream for desert.

Advertisement