Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just a reminder ,reality bites tonight : from boom to maternity

• 06-02-2012 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

From Boom To Maternity

RTÉ Two, Monday 6 February 2012, 9.30pm

Writer Maia Dunphy is a child-free 35-year-old who recently married her partner of three years, the UK Comedian Johnny Vegas, and now all everyone wants to know is...."when's the baby due?"
    But the Irish birth rate has been shooting up over the past 3 years. From 48,000 births in 1994 to a current 75,000 per year...and rising. The maternity services are straining to cope, and with falling incomes and exorbitant childcare costs many Irish mothers are choosing to stay at home while absent fathers work punishing hours to keep the bills paid.
    Against the backdrop of the biggest baby boom in the history of the Irish state, Maia Dunphy looks at the realities of giving birth in Ireland in 2012 and asks...if everyone else is doing it, why can't I? The journey takes her from a fraught life swap with a 29-year-old full-time Boom Mum in Dublin's Donaghmede to the stark realisation that, in reproductive terms, 35 is not as young as she'd hoped.
    user_online.gifreport.gif edit.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Writer Maia Dunphy is a child-free 35-year-old who recently married her partner of three years, the UK Comedian Johnny Vegas, and now all everyone wants to know is...."when's the baby due?"
    user_online.gifreport.gif edit.gif

Thanks for the reminder. The programme was well done, covering most of the topics facing potential parents in Ireland today.
    Never knew of Maia before (Johnny has a wife!?) and liked her slightly sarky humor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Thanks for the reminder. The programme was well done, covering most of the topics facing potential parents in Ireland today.
    Y.W. :D. the bits i saw in the ads were from the first 10 mins or so. it was good ,could've gone into more detail and maia could've spent a good day on her own with the twins. i thought a night was a bit short. but all in all it was great viewing. purple nearly peed herself laughing when maia was changing the nappies. on the down side i thought the baby shower thing was a bit o.t.t. as ordinary mrs. public wouldn't be able to afford the lavish lifestyle and that goes with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree, you can survive a night on andrenlan, but its after 4pm the next day when you start losing you mind!!

Advertisement