Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT & VAT on car Import from UK

Options
  • 06-02-2012 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Folks,

Does anyone have any experience on importing a car less than 6 months old from the UK? There are VAT implications but it seems not to be listed anywhere how ths is calculated etc.. Also you can get a rebate from the UK authoroties - how easy is this etc..

I have imported several cars from the UK and there is a bunch of money to be saved but now looking at importing a nearly new car! The last time I did this I imported the car when it was 6 months and a day old and then had no VAT implications but now I'd like to get a 2012 car.

Also the VRT rules look like they are going to change on cars less than 3 months old so this should help also.

BMW 520d 2012 Efficient Dynamics (119 grams CO2 so 14% VRT) is ~£27.5 in the UK with discounts available from dealers so at exchange rate of 1.2 = €33,000 and I estimate the VRT to be about €5,600 so total imported price =€38,600 and the car is €43+k here. No brainer in my opinion - I am keeping the car for 3 to 4 years so I am not worried about being the second owner on a car that is 2 months old! In 4 years time I'll have the paperwork to prove I bought a new car from a dealer with delivery mileage but registered to the dealer before I imported it.

I just need to find out about the VAT implications. I have to pay VAT here if less than 6 months old but I can claim back the VAT from the UK authorities? How is VAT calculated here? Is it a case that I pay here at 23% and reclaim from the UK at 21% - a difference but is it based on the price I paid in the UK or the open market price here?

Help please?

Cheers,
    Neroaccess
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Try asking in the Motors forum.

This forum is people who have questions about the boards.ie site itself.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement