Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our TD's - making democracy work

Options
  • 06-02-2012 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

The expense claims of our dáil representatives:

Bannon FG €48000
    McFadden FG €49000
    Penrose Lab €15000
    Troy FF €48000

Penrose had use of 2 drivers, whom I believe were paid 30,000 each.

On top of that they get 90K a year wage basic plus money for sitting on comittees, etc.

Tis a great little country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

What does "Expenses" Cover?

constituency office? - Make meeting rooms available council buildings/libraries throughout

Travel expenses? - give them free bus and rail passes

does this include secretarial staff?

There is one labour TD who claimed no expenses. he is based in Dublin but that would only save some travel costs and he survives.

Really pissed with myself I voted Mcfadden although I don't think the alternatives would be significantly better less bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

slowharry wrote: »
    What does "Expenses" Cover?

constituency office? - Make meeting rooms available council buildings/libraries throughout

Travel expenses? - give them free bus and rail passes

does this include secretarial staff?

There is one labour TD who claimed no expenses. he is based in Dublin but that would only save some travel costs and he survives.

Really pissed with myself I voted Mcfadden although I don't think the alternatives would be significantly better less bad.

they get Constituency Office expenses on top of that - flat rate given, no need for rent receipts. I think they have to pay a person out of that allowance too.
    they also get is it one or two parliamentary assistants?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

The expense claims of our dáil representatives:

Bannon FG €48000
    McFadden FG €49000
    Penrose Lab €15000
    Troy FF €48000

Penrose had use of 2 drivers, whom I believe were paid 30,000 each.

On top of that they get 90K a year wage basic plus money for sitting on comittees, etc.

Tis a great little country

I'm not questioning the accuracy of these figures, but I just wanted to ask where you saw them? Were they online or in a newspaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmerc

All I can say is that our Labour TD does not use his allowance to answer his emails. I emailed him on a matter and I got a standard reply that did not address my question. Despite two more emails from me he has not bothered to have the manners to reply! But no bother there will be another election and I will not forget!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Ireland roughly has the same population as Manchester. They dont need 166 T.D.s a Seanad, a president and about 300+ getting paid on councils.
    Stop voting mainstream for a few government terms. Its the only way folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

it is my understanding that your local Labour TD has been sick and receiving treatment the last 4plus months. Not affliated with said person.
    jimmerc wrote: »
    All I can say is that our Labour TD does not use his allowance to answer his emails. I emailed him on a matter and I got a standard reply that did not address my question. Despite two more emails from me he has not bothered to have the manners to reply! But no bother there will be another election and I will not forget!!!!:mad:

it is my understanding that your local Labour TD has been sick and receiving treatment the last 4plus months. Not affliated with said person.
    How sick is sick? Is he not also double jobbing down in the Four Courts in these recent weeks? Again how sick is sick, holding down two jobs at the moment poor fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jimmerc

I am sorry to hear if he is sick but as far as I know he gets an allowance for running his office and to staff it. It is not beyond the impossible that some could have had the manners to email me letting me know the situation.

I find it difficult to believe that he is sick for the last 3 months and we have not heard about it. Perhaps his office could enlighten us regarding this matter.

it is my understanding that your local Labour TD has been sick and receiving treatment the last 4plus months.

Sorry for him if he is sick but if his illness means he is incapable of working as a TD he should resign.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Our Westmeath TD's who are only 1 -2 hours away from Dublin, none of them have any significant back bench portfolio, none of them are even an arses roar close to even a junior ministerial role, are all getting around the €45k mark,nearly bloody €50k.

Yet, TD's in Cork, Longer distance, are claiming only about €5-10 k more? (whatever preverse universe we are in, how could the gap between these areas be so close?)

It makes no sense, who the Westmeath guys could have ran up such huge bills.

Imagine what they will try and claim if Town Councils are banished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

slowharry wrote: »
    Sorry for him if he is sick but if his illness means he is incapable of working as a TD he should resign.

Has not stopped him from being out and about in the Law Library, last seen 2 weeks ago (okay okay the stress level would not be as huge)

Just listened to Robert Troy on the Newstalk (Moncrieff show) very poor performance. Not one remotely interesting thing to say. Sounded like it was his first interview and considering its the first time I heard him maybe it was.

Couldn't say any thing about that man without incuring a lifetime ban:mad:

time lord wrote: »

ah go on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

time lord wrote: »
    Wise decision.
    aeons for a time lord, I'd imagine.

Advertisement