Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can cyclists run red lights?

• 06-02-2012 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Hey

Was just wondering can cyclists on the road go through red lights?
    I was walking by a pedestrian crossing and one ran the red light and nearly took me out of it:eek:,so do you guys know if they are allowed to do that or do they have to obey the rules of the road like motor vehicles?

Comments

Nope, cyclists have to obey the rules of the road just as everyone else does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can or may?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

They're physically capable of it.

Although few live to regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No they can't- they (we) need to obey the rules of the road just like anyone else.

What you saw- was an arsehole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes they can..

• Advertisement

they can but they're not allowed to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

No

The guards do convict people who do so and they routinely get fined.

I do run red lights when cycling and I know i shouldn't, I really should Kop-on.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They usually can, a couple of times at least. Eventually they'll gamble and lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

You can if you're a pompous twit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

the question is can they see red lights

i theorise that their particular mode of transport causes brain farts and hence the stupidity of their actions.

Except for the five known cyclists that obey the rules of the road, fair play to ye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cyclists, especially ones on Dublin Bikes also think they're allowed cycle on paths

Except for the five known cyclists that obey the rules of the road, fair play to ye...

Identify those five!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

even if i did you wouldn't see them, they are Snuffleupagi, rarely seen and hard to find so much so few believe they actually exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As this is After Hours and the question is stupid, then the answer is yes, they can break red lights, cycle on footpads, go the wrong way down one way streets and all sorts of great things.

In fact they usually get a cash bonus for hitting pedestrians, I'm guessing the one that almost hit you was fairly new to the game as you'd be posting from a hospital bed had it been one of our more experienced pedalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

So long as they carry a donor card and their next of kin is willing to pay for injuries to me and repairs to my vehicle, then I'm happy for them to break as many red lights as they wish.

What's a footpad?
    How do you break a light, and a red light at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I know some cyclists who, when stopped at a junction, will pull off a fraction before the light changes from red to green in order to avoid being hit by cars turning.
    I don't do it myself, but if they make sure there's no-one crossing then it's not the worst thing in the world, though it's never risk-free.

But ploughing through a red light simply because you're on a bike, and even if your way looks clear, is idiotic.
    A car or pedestrian could appear instantly (I wonder: has anyone who's ever hit someone with a car or bike ever uttered the phrase "He/she just came out of nowhere?") and it would be seriously frowned upon if it were a car doing it and not a bike.
    I don't understand the thinking behind it: "Well, it's ok for me to do it, as there's less chance of my bike seriously injuring someone compared to a car."

Too few cyclists indicate as well.
    And don't get me started on morons cycling on the wrong side of the road or the footpath.

As a cyclist, I think that 90% of road users of all types are idiots, including pedestrians ("I don't want to step out in front of that car, but stepping out in front of that bike will be ok") and drivers ("Sure I pay road tax, not this feckin' cyclist. Therefore, I'll shove him onto the footpath).

But there are too many cyclists who completely ignore the rules of the road and give the rest of us a bad name.
    I'd love if you had to at least do a theory test before being allowed to cycle on the roads.

What's road tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

Underdraft wrote: »
    You can if you're a pompous twit.

The guy was acting like a dick but in fairness the cop should know a bit more about what laws he's enforcing!

And lunging at the camera wasn't the smartest move.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

they shouldn't - but quite a few do.
    +1 on that dublin bikes comment - I cycle daily and the people I see break the lights are those using the dublin city bikes. ( not all of them..)

Last week I was cycling in town and stopped when the lights went red - only to have a girl on one of those bikes hit into the back of my bike. She started giving out to me for stopping *suddenly* and blocking her from getting through the (red) lights...

That being said I've never seen a guard pull a cyclist over for breaking the lights. How much is the fine?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

snubbleste wrote: »
    What's a footpad?
    How do you break a light, and a red light at that?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055434174

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

snubbleste wrote: »
    What's road tax?

It's motor tax really (though I think it may be officially called "road tax") and it's something some drivers feel cyclists should pay towards, and if they don't, they're fair game for basically being killed on the road.

Some drivers, mind you.

It's motor tax really (though I think it may be officially called "road tax") and it's something some drivers feel cyclists should pay towards, and if they don't, they're fair game for basically being killed on the road. Some drivers, mind you.

Oh the motor tax for having an engine on your vehicle! I understand that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

One thing I dont understand is them doing it in dublin's city centre :confused:

You could have about 40 people crossing at pedestrian lights and you always see some cyclist dashing through the crowd. Utter knob ends! They trying to hit into someone or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a good question OP, best check with the horses mouth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement