Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie bin dispute

Options
  • 06-02-2012 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm living in a rented property with two others and we're having a slight dispute with our residents association over our wheelie bins. We live in a terraced house with steps up to the front door and there is a small alcove beside the steps where we keep our wheelie bins. Shortly after I moved in last year the residents association called around to give us a newsletter and while they were there asked us would we consider bringing our wheelie bin through the house and storing it in the back garden. None of us were happy with this as (a) it would be awkward to get a full wheelie bin down the steps (b) its unhygenic (they said it was no different to wearing shoes in the house but we take our shoes off immediately when we come into the house) and (c) there is a light coloured carpet in our hall and a new wooden floor in the sitting room where we would have to bring the bin through and we don't want to be liable for any damage done to the carpet or floor while bringing the bins through.

We have spoken to our landlord and he is completely against the bins going through the house as damage was done before because of this. The residents association have called around several times since to give us lectures about our bins- they want them brought in as they look unsightly apparently. They don't block the path due to the alcove and they are emptied on a regular basis so it's not like they are overflowing. Anyway I was wondering is there any legal way they can make us keep them in the back? I know its a very minor problem but the constant lectures are starting to wreck all our heads, at this stage we don't want to answer the door to unexpected callers! I am by no means a hygiene freak but the thoughts of dragging a wheelie bin full of rotting food and dirty packaging through our nice clean sitting room makes my stomach turn...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The next time they call open the say no, don't ask me again, and goodbye.
    After that tell them to fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ideally you need to get the landlord to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"You will need to contact the owner of the property about this". And close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Personally, I feel that there is no need to tell anyone to F*** off as this will not be in any way helpful in any further dealings you may have with the residents association - and you never know when you might need them. It is however quite a silly request on their behalf, especially if the bins are neatly stored and it is clear that it's not really an option for you to store them elsewhere. I would suggest that you politely explain that you will not be bringing the bins through the house and that you will continue to store them neatly at the front. Should this continue to be a problem then they should take it up with the landlord directly as you pay your rent to him and this is really his responsibility. For the most part the Residents Associations (I am Chairperson of ours) tend to have the best interests of the residents at heart and give their time free of charge but of course there are some who can be a bit intolerant of residents who do not abide by "the rules". The one thing I would check out if I was you is the matter of littering. The council will let you know if storing your bin outside the front of the house is considered littering. If so then you may have to bring the bins through the house, if not then I would say carry on the way you are. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Definitely point them towards the landlord. Your landlord said no to it and he/she owns the property so let them deal with it. Wouldnt be overly rude to them just be clear that it's not you who has the final call. If the landlord then decides they are to be taken in - let them put it in writing and make sure you aren't going to get stung deposit wise for damage to carpets etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Politely inform the residents association that for health and hygeine reasons you will not be dragging a wheely bin through your house, and that the mere suggestion is frankly appalling. Its not up to someone to demand that you drag germs and dirt through your house just because they dont want to look at the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Suggest a compromise and put some kind of screen in front of the wheelie bins,landlord to pay of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Residents Associations are a nightmare! They are full of housewives with little to do with their time and when there is a real issue they don't know how to deal with it.

I think the advice you got here was best. When they ask again simply say, "I am sorry, we have had this discussion, we have spoken to our landlord we have made a final decision not to bring the bins through the house and we are not willing to discuss this subject any further. If there is anything else I can help you with please call on me."

I wouldn't tell them to **** off but I would be firm that the conversation is not one which you are going to entertain any further. Make sure to leave the door open for future communication though.

If it makes you feel any better the association here asked for €30 from me last summer so I gave them a post dated cheque and told them they could cash it when I got a copy of the accounts for my inspection. They never cashed the cheque :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

Thanks for the advice everyone, at this stage we tell them to contact the landlord but they just keep arguing with us! They rang the landlord once and when he said we wouldn't be bringing them through they were super nice but then called around the following week to hassle us again! A few other houses have theirs out the front, as do houses on the neighbouring streets so I'm guessing the council wouldn't really care...I think part of the problem is that my housemates and I are in our twenties and the RA seems to consist of people in their late 50s/60s who feel we should do what we're told like good children- they keep telling us they bring their bins through their houses but they are all retired and have time to wash and clean everything on a weekly basis, whereas we all work full time. Such a silly thing to get worked up over but as long as they can't legally make us bring them through then we'll keep saying no :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The next time they call answer the door naked, and engage in a totally irrelevent conversation while stuffing your mouth with dry cream crackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Too many residents associations seem to consist of nosy busy bodies with too much time on their hands. If the landlord told them where to go and the council/management company dont seem to care then I would politely but forcefully tell the residants association busybody to kindly leave you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good for you OP. Don't let yourself be bullied. Bringing your wheelie bins in and out thru the house is a disgusting thing to have to do. I can't imagine why anyone would think it is a good idea unless there are issues of paths being blocked or dogs/rats getting into the bins & causing a litter issue. The latter was a constant problem with my mams wheelie bins, but if it isn't for you, rock on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

I like the answering the door naked idea, though I could see them calling the guards!
    They are actually very lucky we are nice polite people, most people would have lost the head at them by now. I could feel my temper rising the last time they called round but I wouldn't shout at them as (a) you never know when you might need them and (b) I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of ringing the landlord to say I was abusive to them.
    My workplace is currently infested with mice so I now have a bizarre fear that they'll come into the house in the wheelie bin, which is also putting me off! It's just a manky idea, dogs pee against bins and I don't want to drag a dog's toilet through my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I agree tell them the F**K OFF.

Bunch of nobodies who heads are filled with a view of self importance.

Tell them the only thing moving is them off your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Alternativly, grab the bull by the horns here. Call around to their houses, asking them to consider leaving their bins out front, like you. Each time the call to you, call back a day or two later to them.
    They'll soon drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Zulu wrote: »
    Alternativly, grab the bull by the horns here. Call around to their houses, asking them to consider leaving their bins out front, like you. Each time the call to you, call back a day or two later to them.
    They'll soon drop it.
    Oh, that's fantastic. Extra points for printing out fliers and putting them in letterboxes and on tellegraph poles.

@OP At this stage, I think you'd be justified in being a little bit rude, but try not to be. You can refuse to talk about aomething in a polite way, just don't get drawn into it. Make an excuse at the door that you really must go, turn, and close the door, don't slam it or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mention that if they call around again about the f**king bins you'll report them to the police for harassment.

And then tell them to f**k off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

As others have said if they call just tell them to contact the landlord. Don't enter a debate or engage them just say "It is against my lease and you have to contact my landlord so I'm not engaging on this" then shut the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- I'm closing this- before you get any off the wall suggestions.
    I think you've been adequately advised.

Kind regards,

Shane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement