Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting thrown out of a certain pub

• 06-02-2012 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I was out last night in a local very popular late bar on Denmark St, and saw a group of men getting thrown out for snapping pics of the barmaids on their phones. Far as I'm concerned well done to management, they must watch their girls like hawks there were strait in there. But what does boards think-overkill or fair enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 playmasterone

very good caues without the girls permission the lads are breaking the law

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did ye "both" register to have a chat here?

If I was in AH, i'd say pics or...

I've never seen anyone trying to snap pictures of barmaids. Maybe in hooters once. And that's nearly expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 catinhat77

Just noticed that myself, I'm not talking to myself pal-roommate is always on it, said I may as well join up. Was just curious what everyone esle thought, the (mixed) group I was with were split. The other lads thought it was harmless and it was the usual bouncer on a powertrip but they were dead right in my book, I was the only fella thinking it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Yeah it's common courtesy to ask someone to be in a photo before taking it, so if the guys were made to leave because they didn't do this then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

In places I've worked, its usually the girl complains that sleazy guys are perving on her so they get watched, and if something happens after that they're out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

but does the whole "right to photograph anything in a public place" not matter here? (not sure of the definition of the inside of a pub/club public vs. private)

either way i'm sure it's not the first or the last time something like that has happened, so the bouncers just take a no tolerance line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

inside the pub isn't a public place, Its hassling staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

but does the whole "right to photograph anything in a public place" not matter here? (not sure of the definition of the inside of a pub/club public vs. private)

either way i'm sure it's not the first or the last time something like that has happened, so the bouncers just take a no tolerance line

Technically its illegal, without permission from the person, especially if indoors, if its outside, fair game unless you are invading someones privacy ie. Shooting in someone's window.

Also, there is the thing of management reserve the right of entry. Only thing is, they can't confiscate or delete the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Why bother really? I mean if you want pics of their barmaids there is a whole ruddy facebook page they officially dedicated to this!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.311942268822502.94976.218936501456413&type=3

Military brunette is a fav!

fap_meme_black_white_line_art_coloring_book_colouring-555px.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

zuroph wrote: »

really???

inside a Pub(lic house) isnt a public place??? i thought it falls under a public place according to law???

by the way taking photos of people is not against the law unless the photees are children. it is public domain.

that being said if these guys where just being creepy with their camera phones then fair enough id chuck them out. but to be honest bouncers would get more respect if they showed people the same courtesy. they should have told the lads to stop what they are doing or else they will be thrown out. throwing out first asking questions later does speak of the heavey handedness that isnt needed in bars and clubs.

if its the "bar only bigger" place that i think you are reffering to then i personally dont like their tactics so i wont be going back there. ive been to alot of places in the world and ive never come accross such rude doormen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

by the way taking photos of people is not against the law unless the photees are children. it is public domain.
    no it'd be considered private property where its up to management to decide.

It's only public domain if: you are shooting on a public street, park etc. And anything you take can't be in severe breach of privacy, ie. Shooting in someones window from a tree, or plagerisim.

Photographing children is also okay, as if its in a public place. Private property, the owner decides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

zuroph wrote: »

It is, here's the legal definition:

A public place is anyplace the public have access, whether by right or by permission, and whether subject to or free of charge.

Technically a person can snap away without permission in a public place, but having said that management does reserve the right to refuse admission, ie they take away the permission to be there, it then becomes a private place and the person can be asked to stop taking pictures and leave the premises.

no it'd be considered private property where its up to management to decide.

It's only public domain if: you are shooting on a public street, park etc. And anything you take can't be in severe breach of privacy, ie. Shooting in someones window from a tree, or plagerisim.

Photographing children is also okay, as if its in a public place. Private property, the owner decides.

when i was saying that i was thinking what Source alludes to below

i thought the pics of kids was dodgey teritory. something i wouldnt be going out of my way to do in any case:D
    source wrote: »
    It is, here's the legal definition:

A public place is anyplace the public have access, whether by right or by permission, and whether subject to or free of charge.

Technically a person can snap away without permission in a public place, but having said that management does reserve the right to refuse admission, ie they take away the permission to be there, it then becomes a private place and the person can be asked to stop taking pictures and leave the premises.

the biggest problem these days is that management doesnt actually have the right to refuse admission unless there are extenuating circumstances i:e they are drunk,misbehaving,unrully etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Either way... that's pretty creepy. If I were management, I would have kicked them out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

Don't think its right that lads are taking photos of the Barmaids but i can't stand bouncers on a power trip. The old Knight in Shining Armour bull****. Was the pub directly across the road from Nancy Blakes or just up the road.
    Also did the bouncers use excessive force?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Anyone want to buy some pictures of barmaids?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Anyone want to buy some pictures of barmaids?

Nah, apparently you can get them on facebook for free!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

very good caues without the girls permission the lads are breaking the law

It's actually not.....ever wonder how photojournalists don't get arrested. perfectly legal to take someone's photograph even if they refuse...

Thats a good point actually!! Journalists are allowed take photos in public so is it different for members of the public.
    The Bouncers if its in the pub (you know the one with live bands and a Nightclub downstairs) are only too keen to throw their weight about. Wouldn't neccesarily agree that these thugs had the best interest of the barmaids in mind when they threw the lads out.
    More an oppurtunity to show off to the bar maids. Oh look at me i'm a hard man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 catinhat77

No actually, it's the bar with the older crowd in the front and the younger ones in the back on Denmark St, you know the one. Never seen the bouncers there throw their weight around-but I do know where some people are thinking of and yeah if it was them Id be saying it was more powertrip sh1te.

• Advertisement

If its the pub whose First letter begins with a F i would be surprised (1) The lads on the door seem pleasent enough and (2) There aren't any hot barmaids behind the counter there.
    Haven't been there since the 1st week of January so unless they've got some new birds in behind the bar!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

all would have been avoided if the creeps hadnt been hassling the bar staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

catinhat77 wrote: »
    No actually, it's the bar with the older crowd in the front and the younger ones in the back on Denmark St, you know the one. Never seen the bouncers there throw their weight around-but I do know where some people are thinking of and yeah if it was them Id be saying it was more powertrip sh1te.

If its the bar beginning with N on Denmark Street, then there might be a smaller, older bouncer in there who wears a baseball cap..

I've always found him to be very ignorant and quite intimidating during the night and especially at closing time. Does anyone know can a bouncer physically push you/remove you from the premises? Or does that constitute assault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Amateurs, they should have pretended to take a pic of a mate while zooming on to the bar maid behind ........

constantg wrote: »
    If its the bar beginning with N on Denmark Street, then there might be a smaller, older bouncer in there who wears a baseball cap..

I've always found him to be very ignorant and quite intimidating during the night and especially at closing time. Does anyone know can a bouncer physically push you/remove you from the premises? Or does that constitute assault?

Bouncers are security, and deal with use of force, If someone gets aggressive they are permitted to use reasonable force to remove the person from the premises. So pushing/physically removing you from the premises is allowed once the force used is proportional. ie they can't smack you one (unless to defend themselves), but can restrain you.

source wrote: »
    Bouncers are security, and deal with use of force, If someone gets aggressive they are permitted to use reasonable force to remove the person from the premises. So pushing/physically removing you from the premises is allowed once the force used is proportional. ie they can't smack you one (unless to defend themselves), but can restrain you.

but they must have a security badge/id

the pub with the letter N dont need to because most of their "door staff" are counted as barmen. same can be said for my fav place that begins with a C up by taits clock:D

im loving the code

Bouncers still can't "smack you one"!!! This is classed as assault.
    The amount of times i have some poor young fella who is just pissed and falling around the place without actually being threatening to anyone being roughly grabbed and thrown out of a particular pub/Night club in Denmark street is shocking.
    And yes i agree that these lads who just get stupid drunk should be asked to leave. But why the need to man handle them in such a rough manner.
    I can safely say that the majority of Bouncers in Limerick are violent men!! Of course there are exceptions.
    There is a well known security man in Nancys. Big Tall fella who seems to have been there for years who i have seen remove people from the premises without atually roughing him up.
    Funny how the bouncers always go for the Studently looking types as well and not actually lads who look like they will put up a good fight.
    And no i am not a student i am 33 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I was on a Ryanair flight to Barcelona years ago. Before take off and during the safety demonstration, the guy sitting in front of me started to record the air hostess. She noticed what he was doing and put a halt to proceedings, demanding his camera and deleting what he had just recorded. She gave him back his camera after she had finished her demonstration but only after a right grilling. I was seriously mortified for him as the 'incident' had the attention of the entire plane but didn't feel sorry for him...kinda pervy if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

TONY DAY wrote: »
    Bouncers still can't "smack you one"!!! This is classed as assault.
    The amount of times i have some poor young fella who is just pissed and falling around the place without actually being threatening to anyone being roughly grabbed and thrown out of a particular pub/Night club in Denmark street is shocking.
    And yes i agree that these lads who just get stupid drunk should be asked to leave. But why the need to man handle them in such a rough manner.
    I can safely say that the majority of Bouncers in Limerick are violent men!! Of course there are exceptions...

And neither can a customer 'smack' a member of staff one, so it works both ways. Just consider someone raising a glass or bottle threatening to hit you with it. You dont take the chance and wait untill he/she swings at you with it and leaves you blind in one eye. When people see a young studenty type being removed from a place and make a snap judgement, they only see a small part of what was happening -the 10 seconds it takes to put someone out. The barstaff may have been dealing with said customer for 5 mins before security arrive, or the security themselves may have dealt with the customer 3 or 4 times previously.

Not to mention the 8/10 other times that security may calmly walk someone out of the pub and nobody notices anything.
    I'm not having a go at heavy handedness or power tripping, but just asking people not to jump to conclusions when they get a glimpse of the end of a situation that might have been going on for several minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

constantg wrote: »
    catinhat77 wrote: »

If its the bar beginning with N on Denmark Street, then there might be a smaller, older bouncer in there who wears a baseball ?

That would add up! Only bouncer in limerick i ever had any issues with! Only bouncer anywhere in fact.

You really shouldn't be taking pictures of people in bars like that to be honest. I've seen a few foreign nationals removed from clubs in limerick for taking videos of girls on the dance floor .its not on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement