Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hand Blender (Curries)

Options
  • 06-02-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I need some advice if anyone can spare it. I'd like to take my curry making that little bit further and make the gravy/base sauce now. Is a small hand held blender ok to buy for this purpose do you think? I would only really use it for this and making soups possibly, so I don't really want to splash out on a food processor, any advice and pointers would be welcome. Thanks a mill. B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

A small hand blender is exactly what I use - mine is from Tesco's Value range, and cost just over €5, if I remember rightly (have had it a couple of years). I used to use a liquidizer, but the hand blender saves on the washing up, and does the job just fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Darkginger wrote: »
    A small hand blender is exactly what I use - mine is from Tesco's Value range, and cost just over €5, if I remember rightly (have had it a couple of years). I used to use a liquidizer, but the hand blender saves on the washing up, and does the job just fine :)

That's excellent, Argos have one as well in their value range for around the same price. Thanks a million for the info, I am cooking a curry for 14 people and I need all the help I can get! :)

Argos value range stuff is good, if their bread machine is anything to go by - cost under €40, has 8 different programs, and has lasted longer than my more expensive Kenwood one did :)

When're you starting on preparing the curry for 14? I'll keep an eye out in case you hit any snags - just ask!

Argos value range stuff is good, if their bread machine is anything to go by - cost under €40, has 8 different programs, and has lasted longer than my more expensive Kenwood one did :)

When're you starting on preparing the curry for 14? I'll keep an eye out in case you hit any snags - just ask!

Thanks for that...not for a few weeks yet. I like madras type spicy but will be toning it down a bit also for those whose palettes only like milder. I am just thinking of toning one pot down with some cream or yoghurt though, and not doing two seperate sauces. I use coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom pods etc and roast all of that in a dry heavy pan, and grind with mortar and pestle to make the spice mix, it is proving a lot tastier, but I think making the gravy base will add something to it that mixing with canned tomatoes and water is somewhat missing....thanks I'll throw any questions at you if I think of any...you're very helpful, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i also use a small philips hand blender and bled in the pot. works perfect even in large pots. mine has a chopper accessory which is great for making thai pastes.

if your making curry for the masses id recommend the one in post#10 of this tread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521427

its a one pot curry that works great and tastes divine just triple or quadruple the ingredients for 14

• Advertisement

i also use a small philips hand blender and bled in the pot. works perfect even in large pots. mine has a chopper accessory which is great for making thai pastes.

if your making curry for the masses id recommend the one in post#10 of this tread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521427

its a one pot curry that works great and tastes divine just triple or quadruple the ingredients for 14

Thanks CA....Argos have a decent Philips one at under 20 EU so might get that one. Had actually printed out your madras one yesterday, I'm a sucker for the madras! It's also something I'd be fairly used to doing so I might try The Tikka one again...hmmm decisions! I can't seem to find fenugreek leaves anywhere, do you know anywhere good to get them?
    Do they melt into the dish or stay as leaves or need to be removed?

Fenugreek leaves are also known as methi - you should be able to get them in any Asian food shop - or maybe health food shop. They're not whole leaves, but look a bit like large tea leaves - and they stay in the dish, and really add an 'Indian' flavour. I think you have time to order some from eBay if you can't find them locally - a search on methi brings up a few sources - all in the UK, but I've often ordered spices and herbs from eBay (cheap!) and they don't take too long to get here, as a rule.

Fenugreek leaves are also known as methi - you should be able to get them in any Asian food shop - or maybe health food shop. They're not whole leaves, but look a bit like large tea leaves - and they stay in the dish, and really add an 'Indian' flavour. I think you have time to order some from eBay if you can't find them locally - a search on methi brings up a few sources - all in the UK, but I've often ordered spices and herbs from eBay (cheap!) and they don't take too long to get here, as a rule.

Thanks Darkginger...you're a fantastic help, cheers.

Curry Addict... I've read your full recipe for the tikka masala and am now tempted...sorry but can I please ask another couple of questions if you don't mind?

1. When you say juliennes of ginger do you mean like little matchsticks, and if so, do they stay that way in the sauce (I notice this step comes after the sauce has been blended) Does it not make it lumpy/gritty again?

2. Do you just finley chop up the green chillis?

3. Can you leave the chicken in the marinade overnight in the fridge? Hope so, it'd make it all a bit easier! It sounds easier to do for a large group now I've read through it. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Babooshka wrote: »

Curry Addict... I've read your full recipe for the tikka masala and am now tempted...sorry but can I please ask another couple of questions if you don't mind?

1. When you say juliennes of ginger do you mean like little matchsticks, and if so, do they stay that way in the sauce (I notice this step comes after the sauce has been blended) Does it not make it lumpy/gritty again?

yes its little matchsticks and they stay that way in the sauce. its a very small amount compared to the volume of the sauce so it doesnt make it lumpy/gritty.
    2. Do you just finley chop up the green chillis?

yes
    3. Can you leave the chicken in the marinade overnight in the fridge? Hope so, it'd make it all a bit easier! It sounds easier to do for a large group now I've read through it. Thanks!!

yes marinade the chicken overnight for best results. id advise to make your sauce the day before, cool it down and refrigerate it. make your chicken half an hour before u want to serve and add it to the heated up sauce. this way you have the lest amount of stress and can enjoy your friends.
    dont make the chicken in advance as it dries out and becomes tough.

if you like your madras, try the madras recipe when you have a bit of leisurely time. just follow the process step by step and you will get a great result. im a big madras fan and i can guarantee you will love it!

That above is much appreciated, thanks a million CA...also Darkginger. I can't wait to try recipes out. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement