Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

novice dealing with grass

• 06-02-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just bought 4.5 acres of grassland near the Dublin/Meath border.

I'm not sure how long it has been left unused. There are not many weeds in it, so perhaps not too long.

This is going to be a small holding of sorts. I am not farming it or putting animals on it. It is basically just a garden extension.

I have no experience dealing with something like this.

My main concern now is to keep control of the grass/weeds. I am planning on buying a small tractor like a Massey 135 and get a topper and manage it myself, but that might be 2-3 years from now. It doesn't look bad, just looks like the grass is a bit wild and few thistles and nettles patches here and there. Looks like nice grass about shin high, but not as green/lush looking as surrounding fields.

So I need to figure out the best way to manage it in the meantime.

I am reluctant to let somebody put animals on it.

My thoughts so far are:

1. Pay somebody to just come in and mow it
    2. Get somebody in to mow it and bale it?
    3. Get somebody in to mow it an make silage?

But I don't understand the implications of each.

What times of the year are best for each?
    Could I make a few hundred euro form bales/silage?
    If the grass is there a few years is it useless? If so, when do I mow and let it grow again as proper grass.

Bear in mind I would not use any chemicals/fertiliers on the land.

The long term aim is to plant willow for fuel, some veg, lots of native trees. Also some patches to extend our beekeeping and other projects but it is all for family use and non commercial.

Any tips? I don't want to look a fool when I go and try to find somebody local to do some cutting etc :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

get a horse or a pony in they will clean it off the best , not too many people going to pull mowers and balers out of sheds this time of year for 4 acres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I think your best bet is to let someone either graze it off for free or pay to get it cut, but if it's poor grass (uneaten all year) it has no real feed value and maybe hard to get rid of the bales. talk to a local farmer someone that is reputable in your area and looks after his own land, don't advertise it or you'll have all the wrong clients calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

ill look after it for you and put slurry and dung on it in exchange for maps-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

There seems to be an equestrian place nearby. Perhaps they would be interested in putting horses on it.

If they did, would I need insurance?
    Would they be responsible for water?
    If I wanted horses on it purely to cut it down in a reasonable time frame, how many would need to be on it per acre?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

El Kabong! wrote: »
    There seems to be an equestrian place nearby. Perhaps they would be interested in putting horses on it.

If they did, would I need insurance?
    Would they be responsible for water?
    If I wanted horses on it purely to cut it down in a reasonable time frame, how many would need to be on it per acre?

Thanks.

naul/garristown

• Advertisement
Advertisement