Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Feral Cats

• 06-02-2012 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I came across Limerick Feral Cats on Facebook and I just wanted to make people aware of them. Fantastic to see people giving up their time and money to do such selfless work for the cats of Limerick. Restored my faith in humanity, at least for a while. Well done to all involved. Best of luck with your wonderful work.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

If I could take another cat I'd love tutts! but were looking after 9 cats already in our place and I reckon my neighbors hate us for having them about
    the place. (and tis pretty stressful looking after that many)

Myself and the other half managed to get most of the neighborhood's stray cat population spayed/neutered apart from 1 Tom, all the females done, so the population is controlled now.

A few of ours over the years most of which tamed down after a while.
    (one or two were neighbors cats that visited for a while)
    http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w70/bullets_ie/cats/?start=all

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

bullets wrote: »
    If I could take another cat I'd love tutts! but were looking after 9 cats already in our place and I reckon my neighbors hate us for having them about
    the place. (and tis pretty stressful looking after that many)

Myself and the other half managed to get most of the neighborhood's stray cat population spayed/neutered apart from 1 Tom, all the females done, so the population is controlled now.

A few of ours over the years most of which tamed down after a while.
    (one or two were neighbors cats that visited for a while)
    http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w70/bullets_ie/cats/?start=all

~B
    They're all gorgeous. Is so good to see people caring enough to do something instead of waiting for someone else to do it. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I'll have to check them out, we have a lot of creepy cats stalking our neighbourhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys :o

Bullets you have such a big heart. Those cats are so lucky! :)

Limerick Feral Cats is still in its infancy. Basically we're a small group of LAW volunteers who really care about the welfare of feral cats. We're doing as many TNRs as funds allow, and relocating some feral families into homechecked farmyard homes, if the location they're currently in isn't safe. We're getting a really good response from the farming community.

Bullets we are putting an article into the agri page of the Limerick Leader (county edition) to appeal for farm homes and are putting photos together for the piece. Would you mind very much if we used some of your photos? We can make sure you're credited at the end of the piece, if you'd like.

It would also be fab if you shared your photos on the LFC facebook page and told us a little bit about them - I'd love that.

It's very much a case of learning as we go along, so all input much appreciated!

We have three TNR projects in the pipeline so will be keeping the page updated with photos and progress reports. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

boomerang wrote: »
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys :o
    Bullets we are putting an article into the agri page of the Limerick Leader (county edition) to appeal for farm homes and are putting photos together for the piece. Would you mind very much if we used some of your photos?

Feel Free to use any of my pics, cant really call em feral nowadays since the've been domesticated (aka they adopted us) they all have their stories and personalities between amputees, cancer and aids viticms to the obesity crisis and the mute.

The Idea of placing the cats on Farmland/Country side is an interesting one,
    it may have very mixed views from landowners with some happy they might help control vermin and others who would be just as happy to shoot a cat
    if seen on their land.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Thank you Bullets!

What we do is put the word out in the newspaper explaining we are looking to rehome healthy, neutered feral cats on farms ("ferals for farms") as pest control, in exchange for daily food and a warm place to sleep. We explain that the cats have to be confined for at least a week before they can be released. We call out to the farm ahead of the TNR to meet the farmer, see the set-up and make sure everything's kosher.

Then on the night we've done the TNR we bring the cats to the farm and put them in the shed/enclosure while they are still a little groggy. We make sure they are kept warm. We stay in touch with the farmers afterwards and the feedback is great. It's great for cats that are in a bad situation in town, where they're not being reguarly fed, have little shelter and aren't wanted.

If the cats in town have a caretaker who feeds them and minds them, then we prefer to leave them in place, so long as they're safe. Sometimes the situation has got a little out of control so we might try and relocate some of the cats, just to bring it back to a manageable number for the caretaker.

We rehome in small family groups - e.g. momma and the females of her most recent litter, so there is some continuity for them and the move is less stressful.

With very young kittens we will foster and tame them and then find them pet homes with the help of our friends at LAW. :)

PS I am reading some scientific papers on feral cats at the moment. The home range of a neutered feral isn't much bigger than that of a domestic cat, especially if the farmer is providing food and shelter. So I feel where the cats are in danger in the city (reports of the colony being attacked by dogs, poisoned, etc.) they stand a better chance on a farm in the country.

It's really labour-intensive, but when you see the cats and their older kittens cosied up in the hay loft after their breakfast, throwing you filthies, it's worth anything. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

bullets m8 , kudos m8 to you and the other half ,actually goes a small way to restoring some of my faith in mankind.

they are stunning - black kitten with black nose piece reminds me of my boy so much :).

its a pity it took a volunteer organization to do what Limerick Feral Cats do but i am glad they do .

Advertisement