Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which dns takes priority?

Options
  • 06-02-2012 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

right, so if i have one set of dns on my router and another on my pc - which takes priority? will it always be the ones on the router?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Your PC usually gets the DNS addresses from the router. Often this will be the address of the router itself and the router will forward on the request. You can also manually set the DNS server addresses on your PC.

Regardless of how it gets the addresses, your PC will only sent requests to the servers it's configured to ask. It doesn't matter what is set up on the router unless the router is one of those addresses or the router is sending the addresses it knows of via DHCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have upc.
    i have a router set to auto dns.
    i have my pc set to auto dns.
    i assume then at the moment im using upc default dns.

so i change my pc dns and dont touch the router, my pc will ignore the upc dns and use the ones i have picked?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Random wrote: »
    so i change my pc dns and dont touch the router, my pc will ignore the upc dns and use the ones i have picked?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

go in DOS and type:

ipconfig /all

look for DNS Servers section

... OR type in same DOS ...

nslookup www.somewebsite.abc

and see what DNS server is answering your query !

Priority can take local or remote ,but all are based on LOCAL IP address configuration ,as first,second,third,up to 12 names can be configured,all answer in series and in failover !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Setting static on your pc will bypass the settings on your router. I use this to get around the OpenDns adult content filter, Opendns is set on the router. Your pc always uses static ones if they are set

• Advertisement
Advertisement