Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madonna - Aviva Stadium 24th July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭tonyangelino

In fairness she puts on some show but the venue was too big on a wet miserable Tuesday in recession Ireland. Place was maybe just over half full. Rds would have been a better venue. New material from MDNA works well providing youre not going for the hit laden tour. I admire her for going out and playing the new stuff like she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Huh? you could have fit the entire audience into a large van by the looks of things.....

You have a van that fits 43,000* people?

*http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/why-does-it-always-rain-on-me-madoanna-asks-irish-audience-as-she-sings-in-downpour-3179783.html

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Indo & Times had to use a quote from the same person to get a positive review. Twitter tells the true story as usual... Madge should be put out to pasture me thinks.

https://twitter.com/stokessara/status/227862382658064384/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

larry1 wrote: »
    Indo & Times had to use a quote from the same person to get a positive review. Twitter tells the true story as usual... Madge should be put out to pasture me thinks.

https://twitter.com/stokessara/status/227862382658064384/photo/1

Nobody wants to watch an old woman mime, that picture is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭bren2001

Jesus that place looks empty. Anyone who thinks there was 43,000 at that is deluded. The (seating) capacity is only 50,000, place looks half empty. Standing is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Half the crowd must have went to the toilets at the same time. That's why the place looks empty in the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I was seated at the east stand, and it didn't look as desolate from where I was! And as the night progressed it appeared to fill up.

I enjoyed it, she looks fantastic and she's a great performer - I don't know how she danced in those high heels!

The double jointed dancers gave me the creeps though, I couldn't look at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

43,000 my arse......ok i wouldnt fit everyone in there in my van,most of them though(some would have to travel on the roof to be honest)

With this and the recent Chilli Peppers gigs(and countless other half empty venues around the country big and small)i hope it finally dawns on promoters and artists alike that the boom is over and people wont pay the money they used to anymore

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Looks like she would have been better off doing 2 nights in the O2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Those of us standing on the pitch would have preferred the O2, believe me!

It was a good show but the conditions really didn't help. Good atmosphere on the pitch, especially for the bigger hits, but I went expecting mainly her new stuff ( it's the MDNA tour, not a 'Hits' tour ) and that's what she did. Those pics show that the pitch was only half full, but that wasn't really noticeable when on the pitch ( as we were all looking the other way! :) so it didn't feel like there was no atmosphere or anything like that.

All in all, I thought it was a good night. The best gig I've ever been to? Not at all. The worst? Not at all. Just a good night of entertainment, with the more classic songs a highlight for me, but I enjoyed the whole spectacle...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublinwon

Best concert ever. She was simply amazing. The place was packed. 43000 is correct number. It was jammers. Mdna no.1 on iTunes and her tour the most successful of all time. Can't say clearer than that. Suck it up haters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dublinwon wrote: »
    Best concert ever. She was simply amazing. The place was packed. 43000 is correct number. It was jammers. Mdna no.1 on iTunes and her tour the most successful of all time. Can't say clearer than that. Suck it up haters

haha.

Presume you're joking right? Some old attention seeking bitch miming for 2 hours?

Its not. Suck it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Best concert ever.
    Surely you don't really believe Madonna in the Aviva could be called the "best concert ever"? Or has boards been taken over by preschoolers perhaps.

I'm sure you enjoyed the show, but that statement is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublinwon

If you weren't at the show don't add your hater comments here. Call joe Duffy or even better try getting a life instead of writing on a Madonna concert forum writing poison about someone's age????!!mdna tour after only 20 shows so far is the most successful of 2012 and will eventually beat the record of the most successful tour ever. She has to beat ........ Herself. Suck it up haters. If u don't like her perhaps put some more effort into your own lives instead of just bitching about the most successful recording artist ever. Fact .

If you weren't at the show don't add your hater comments here. Call joe Duffy or even better try getting a life instead of writing on a Madonna concert forum writing poison about someone's age????!!mdna tour after only 20 shows so far is the most successful of 2012 and will eventually beat the record of the most successful tour ever. She has to beat ........ Herself. Suck it up haters. If u don't like her perhaps put some more effort into your own lives instead of just bitching about the most successful recording artist ever. Fact .

haha now not only has she the most successful tour of all time shes also the most successful artist of all time.

I think you'll find U2's 360 tour was the most successful of all time grossig $736,421,586. Shes still a fair whack off that!

As for one the most successful artist of all time how do you justify that? I personally would of said it was The Beatles. If its individuals your on about again I would say Michael Jackson or maybe (I'm told) Elvis.

If its a fact, link me to the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

bren2001 wrote: »
    If its a fact, link me to the evidence.

There is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I dont like concerts, rain, loud music or madonna....(im old before my time)

but I suprised myself by really enjoying the concert last night. I knew alot of the songs (obviously subliminally through radio or 'Now' Compilations as I dont have any of her albums) and I was defo entertained by the show as a whole.

I was in a great position - 5ft from the stage .... which probably plays a huge role. I knew friends up in the seats who'd be fans but thought the show was rubbish.i didnt even notice the empty spaces/seats behind me. anyway, thought it was brilliant. id go again.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Suck it up haters. If u don't like her perhaps put some more effort into your own lives instead of just bitching about the most successful recording artist ever. Fact .

Feisty one ain't ya. Don't engage in a discussion forum if you don't like opposing views, that's the purpose of forums actually.

I've a lot of time for Madonna, but not in a month of Sundays would I pay up to €114 or whatever her top price tickets were for this show. In a way I'm glad it was so poorly attended, it might be a wake up call for rip off artists and concert promoters.

There will always be fanboys blinded by their own tribalism for a given artist who will jump on the defensive at the first sign of criticism or negative comments, nothing new there.

It's terrible Joe etc etc.
    Sincerely yours,
    A Hater

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I love how people that weren't in the concert, have an opinion on the concert itself. . .

If the seating capacity of Aviva is 50000, I'd say we were around 35000 people in there.
    The weather didn't help at all, it was raining from 6 in the afternoon and didn't stop all night-at times raining quite heavily.
    I was feeling kind of miserable (especially during the support DJ. . .) but as soon as the show started, nothing else mattered.
    The show is of course based on the new songs (MDNA tour, as previously said), but I'm counting six songs from the 80's-early 90's: Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart, Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Vogue. Couple of them haven't been played for ages (I think Papa Don't Preach was in the Re-Invention tour, I can't even recall the last time Open Your Heart was on a setlist).
    A nice show overall, she still has her way on how to put on a great production.
    I was in the Gold Circle and most people had a good time, dancing and singing in the rain!!
    A very good concert overall, my second time that I saw her, I would love to see her once again before she stops doing these big productions (I reckon she will probably do one or maximum two more tours like this)

L-U-V Madonna!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Looks like she would have been better off doing 2 nights in the O2

Tina Turner sold out 4 nights in 2009 her tickets were more expensive but
    im sure Madonna could just about sell out 2 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I was at the gig last nite. I was talking to a steward and he said 48,000 tickets were sold. Seating capacity is 50,000 but that's not including the pitch.

Anyway I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong she puts on a great show, costumes, set pieces, choreography, the lot. The opening was quite spectacular too.

But I expected to hear much more of the hits - I know it was the MDMA tour but I didn't expect to hear quite so much of it.
    And she reworked Open your Heart and Like a Virgin.
    Im a regular gig goer, love listening to different versions of loved songs but when it comes to Madonna, I just want to hear the big songs. (although Open your Heart was reworked into something quite interesting)

I don't think MDMA lives up to her other albums, the songs didn't seem to be good enough for the set pieces. So it just left me disappointed.

Like a Prayer as a penultimate song was out of this world. It truly is a wonderful, life affirming song and it had me and most ppl jumping in their seats. I expected the whole gig to be like this, but it wasn't.

I just don't think Madonna still has it in the songwriting stakes anymore. I think she's past it and is not as relevant as she was.
    That's why I think a greatest hits gig would have been more appropriate.

The Indo said she came onstage at 9pm sharp and left at 11pm. I think that copy was written before the gig because it was about 9.15 when she got on stage and I was a bit peeved because we wouldn't get a full 2 hours because of curfew, but she did in fact play after the curfew - approx 5-10 minutes.

I didn't expect her to be quite so humble but she did thank the Irish fans for showing up and for supporting her through the years. Did not expect that from a Diva!
    Apparently she spoke some words in Irish too but didn't hear it.
    I was in the South Stand upper so she very tiny indeed! Towards the end we moved to the east stand to get a bit closer.

All in all, a good show, NOT the best show ever, some highlights (express yourself in cheerleading looked great, vogue, girl gone wild opening act, open your heart Reworking)
    Overall I think Madonna truly believes her own hype - can't say I do, so much.

Anyway else think Madonna thought she was a God with the whole church thing and the Hare Krishna chanting at the end - they seemed to be chanting Madonna? I know religion has always been a prevailing influence in her music but I just felt the God was in fact Madonna and we were worshipping at her altar?
    Nothing less for a diva, I suppose! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭lindascribbler

I was at the gig last nite. I was talking to a steward and he said 48,000 tickets were sold. Seating capacity is 50,000 but that's not including the pitch.

Anyway I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong she puts on a great show, costumes, set pieces, choreography, the lot. The opening was quite spectacular too.

But I expected to hear much more of the hits - I know it was the MDMA tour but I didn't expect to hear quite so much of it.
    And she reworked Open your Heart and Like a Virgin.
    Im a regular gig goer, love listening to different versions of loved songs but when it comes to Madonna, I just want to hear the big songs. (although Open your Heart was reworked into something quite interesting)

I don't think MDMA lives up to her other albums, the songs didn't seem to be good enough for the set pieces. So it just left me disappointed.

Like a Prayer as a penultimate song was out of this world. It truly is a wonderful, life affirming song and it had me and most ppl jumping in their seats. I expected the whole gig to be like this, but it wasn't.

I just don't think Madonna still has it in the songwriting stakes anymore. I think she's past it and is not as relevant as she was.
    That's why I think a greatest hits gig would have been more appropriate.

The Indo said she came onstage at 9pm sharp and left at 11pm. I think that copy was written before the gig because it was about 9.15 when she got on stage and I was a bit peeved because we wouldn't get a full 2 hours because of curfew, but she did in fact play after the curfew - approx 5-10 minutes.

I didn't expect her to be quite so humble but she did thank the Irish fans for showing up and for supporting her through the years. Did not expect that from a Diva!
    Apparently she spoke some words in Irish too but didn't hear it.
    I was in the South Stand upper so she very tiny indeed! Towards the end we moved to the east stand to get a bit closer.

All in all, a good show, NOT the best show ever, some highlights (express yourself in cheerleading looked great, vogue, girl gone wild opening act, open your heart Reworking)
    Overall I think Madonna truly believes her own hype - can't say I do, so much.

Anyway else think Madonna thought she was a God with the whole church thing and the Hare Krishna chanting at the end - they seemed to be chanting Madonna? I know religion has always been a prevailing influence in her music but I just felt the God was in fact Madonna and we were worshipping at her altar?
    Nothing less for a diva, I suppose! :D

Good post.

Have to say that after reading a Madonna thread on Boards.ie I downloaded MDNA (who'd a thought an internet chat board could sell a Madonna album?) & at least recognised and enjoyed the load of stuff she performed from the album esp Girl Gone Wild (opening song), I don't give a f***, Masterpiece, Give me all your luv et al
    I agree there was a massive religious theme...& interesting bit when she asked the audience whether they were mostly Catholics & after getting a dull response (we were all soaked) re-phrased the question to were we 'spiritual' to a livelier response. Thought the Hare Krishna bit was boring + pointless tbh.
    I noticed while she was doing some of her lesser known songs from MDNA, people were chatting & not really bopping as if just bored...I was standing on the pitch, close to the barrier, jealously watching all you in Golden Circle (at E140 a pop) She was a mere dot from where I was.
    Yes, there was miming and a shortage of classic songs but all in all it was vintage Madonna, pure spectacle, a great show. icon10.gif
    The rain was crap though, but sure we can't blame Madge for that icon8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭brokenice

incredible gig! fantastic production! i wish it was on again tonight...and you know what....the rain added to the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I note Dublinwon made this point today - "Call joe Duffy or even better try getting a life instead of writing on a Madonna concert forum writing poison about someone's age????!!

But made this point on a post some time ago - "The grandpa lovers are out in force? Bruce Springsteen Paul McCartney are they still alive?".

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

poundhound wrote: »
    I note Dublinwon made this point today - "Call joe Duffy or even better try getting a life instead of writing on a Madonna concert forum writing poison about someone's age????!!

But made this point on a post some time ago - "The grandpa lovers are out in force? Bruce Springsteen Paul McCartney are they still alive?".

Oh dear.

Yea heaven forbid someone play for longer than two hours and actually sing, LIVE, who would want such a horrible display??!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

darryn wrote: »
    Yea heaven forbid someone play for longer than two hours and actually sing, LIVE, who would want such a horrible display??!!!

And for cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

...mdna tour after only 20 shows so far is the most successful of 2012..

http://www.nme.com/news/roger-waters/65038

CPL 593H

Advertisement