Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madonna - Aviva Stadium 24th July

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

listening to that live show now also, and I dunno if there was a blip in my internet connection or she just hit a series of bung notes, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt:D

Well Madonna doesn't normally sing live so at least tonight she was! I did find that Napoleon comment amusing. In 5 mins she spoke more tonight than we got on Tuesday and of course that is when my connection went wonky so only got bits of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

scudzilla wrote: »
    HOW THE FCUK IS SHE A REVOLUTIONARY!!!!

Facial Hair ? (bleached in her case)

Madonna%20Guevara.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭tonyangelino

is she not adding another leg of indoor gigs on then like a lot of artists do?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Madonna was booed and called a "slut" by disgruntled fans after a gig in Paris last night (July 26).

The intimate show at the city's 2,700-seat Olympia Theatre was a last-minute addition to the singer's 'MDNA' tour, with tickets offered to fan club members first and selling out in less than five minutes.

However, the gig was considerably shorter than other performances on the tour. Madonna performed just eight songs, ending her set with a cover of Serge Gainsbourg's 'Je T'aime... Mon Non Plus' and leaving the stage 45 minutes after she had come on.

Some fans apparently felt short-changed after paying between 80 and 280 Euros (£62 and £219) for tickets. Video footage uploaded to YouTube shows gig-goers chanting "Remboursez!", French for "We want our money back!", shortly after Madonna left the stage.

Later in the video, a group of fans begin to chant "Salope!", a derogatory term that translates as "slut" or "whore". Scroll down to watch the video.

Madonna also caused controversy at a previous show in Paris on July 14. After the singer showed video footage of French National Front leader Marine Le Pen with a swastika superimposed on her forehead, the far-right political party threatened to sue the singer for "public insult". Madonna will return to France for a gig at Nice's Stade Charles-Ehrmann on August 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭bren2001

Madonna was booed and called a "slut" by disgruntled fans after a gig in Paris last night (July 26).

The intimate show at the city's 2,700-seat Olympia Theatre was a last-minute addition to the singer's 'MDNA' tour, with tickets offered to fan club members first and selling out in less than five minutes.

However, the gig was considerably shorter than other performances on the tour. Madonna performed just eight songs, ending her set with a cover of Serge Gainsbourg's 'Je T'aime... Mon Non Plus' and leaving the stage 45 minutes after she had come on.

Some fans apparently felt short-changed after paying between 80 and 280 Euros (£62 and £219) for tickets. Video footage uploaded to YouTube shows gig-goers chanting "Remboursez!", French for "We want our money back!", shortly after Madonna left the stage.

Later in the video, a group of fans begin to chant "Salope!", a derogatory term that translates as "slut" or "whore". Scroll down to watch the video.

Madonna also caused controversy at a previous show in Paris on July 14. After the singer showed video footage of French National Front leader Marine Le Pen with a swastika superimposed on her forehead, the far-right political party threatened to sue the singer for "public insult". Madonna will return to France for a gig at Nice's Stade Charles-Ehrmann on August 21.

Disgraceful for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

bren2001 wrote: »

They should be able to get a refund or at least tickets for the next show, but they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

bren2001 wrote: »

Money is the only thing that horrible bitch cares about anyway, I'm not surprised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

While I like some of Madonna's songs (Like a Prayer, Open Your Heart, Crazy For You, .... maybe Cherish, but that's about it) I've always found her to be a vacuous and venal pain in the arse. Constantly seeking attention, constantly trying to appear controversial, revolutionary, original when she's in reality just so fcuking square.

Grabbing your crotch isn't risque Madonna and for an oul one like you it's pathetic. All the taboos have been exploited from Elvis's hips, to the f-word to interacial eroticism to lesbian and gay kissing on stage and in videos. So don't think you're being so wild Madonna.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

I wish i could get a refund. Tuesday night was horrific! No atmosphere at all (maybe up front was good but certainly not anywhere else). I felt like i was watching a warm up act where you only half pay attention because its not exciting. I didn't like the part with the guns and there was a few times throughout the show that i just sat there wondering what was going on. The screens didnt show her up close so it could have been anyone on stage. Half the pitch was empty so i felt like i wasn't even part of it. It was just dull in general. Her setlist wasn't too encouraging either. Like a prayer was amazing and if she had included a few more greatest hits throughout it would have been much better. She spent abnormal amounts of time off stage changing outfits. Loads of people left early and i thought that it summed it all up when nobody asked for more at the end. I was glad to leave and i didnt hear anyone on the way out say anything positive. Everyone seemed to be disapointed. I have been to concerts in croke park and sat at the opposite end to the stage and had a great time, saw everything and the place was buzzing. This was just a big fail! I definetely wouldn't even consider going if she came back again.. More enjoyment listening to a cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭bren2001

http://www.nme.com/news/madonna/65216

She says a few thugs marred her gig. At least shes honest, her being the thug of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roryj123

It sounded pretty bad,For me those videos just lacked atmosphere,I must go see her next time (If she even comes back,But it looked a bit boring like watching a dvd or something everyone sitting their,At the Gaga one it literally was a ball the atmosphere Is what I go for really,Everyone screaming and shouting,great crack!

I was at the gig last nite. I was talking to a steward and he said 48,000 tickets were sold. Seating capacity is 50,000 but that's not including the pitch.

Anyway I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong she puts on a great show, costumes, set pieces, choreography, the lot. The opening was quite spectacular too.

But I expected to hear much more of the hits - I know it was the MDMA tour but I didn't expect to hear quite so much of it.
    And she reworked Open your Heart and Like a Virgin.
    Im a regular gig goer, love listening to different versions of loved songs but when it comes to Madonna, I just want to hear the big songs. (although Open your Heart was reworked into something quite interesting)

I don't think MDMA lives up to her other albums, the songs didn't seem to be good enough for the set pieces. So it just left me disappointed.

Like a Prayer as a penultimate song was out of this world. It truly is a wonderful, life affirming song and it had me and most ppl jumping in their seats. I expected the whole gig to be like this, but it wasn't.

I just don't think Madonna still has it in the songwriting stakes anymore. I think she's past it and is not as relevant as she was.
    That's why I think a greatest hits gig would have been more appropriate.

The Indo said she came onstage at 9pm sharp and left at 11pm. I think that copy was written before the gig because it was about 9.15 when she got on stage and I was a bit peeved because we wouldn't get a full 2 hours because of curfew, but she did in fact play after the curfew - approx 5-10 minutes.

I didn't expect her to be quite so humble but she did thank the Irish fans for showing up and for supporting her through the years. Did not expect that from a Diva!
    Apparently she spoke some words in Irish too but didn't hear it.
    I was in the South Stand upper so she very tiny indeed! Towards the end we moved to the east stand to get a bit closer.

All in all, a good show, NOT the best show ever, some highlights (express yourself in cheerleading looked great, vogue, girl gone wild opening act, open your heart Reworking)
    Overall I think Madonna truly believes her own hype - can't say I do, so much.

Anyway else think Madonna thought she was a God with the whole church thing and the Hare Krishna chanting at the end - they seemed to be chanting Madonna? I know religion has always been a prevailing influence in her music but I just felt the God was in fact Madonna and we were worshipping at her altar?
    Nothing less for a diva, I suppose! :D

The official figures were 33,952,Still don't get why she is doing the Born This Way cover people came to see Madonna,I will go IF she even comes again,But really people just want to hear the new hits,not 'This is off my new album' I get its the MDNA Tour but when she has so many hits she needs to focus more on what made her what she is today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

roryj123 wrote: »
    The official figures were 33,952,Still don't get why she is doing the Born This Way cover people came to see Madonna,I will go IF she even comes again,But really people just want to hear the new hits,not 'This is off my new album' I get its the MDNA Tour but when she has so many hits she needs to focus more on what made her what she is today!

That would make sense if she was doing a greatest hits tour.
    She is touring to promote a new album, so she will play most of the new album. And she is not the only one doing that, most artists (especially in the pop genre) that has a new album out will play songs from the new album - maybe not 7-8 songs like Madonna does, but definitely like 4-5 songs.

roryj123, if I am not mistaken you are huge Gaga fan. I was there too and it was brilliant, one of the best concerts of my life! But it was short of similar: of the 24 songs she played, 16 were from the Born This Way album. That's why it is called the Born This Way Ball.

I'd expect Madonna will do another big tour, either for a new album (most likely scenario) or a career retrospective (and with a career expanding for 30 years, she wouldn't be able to satisfy everybody, unless she was playing for 5 hours!!). She is 54 now, when she tours next she will be 57, so it will probably be her last big show.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    That would make sense if she was doing a greatest hits tour.
    She is touring to promote a new album, so she will play most of the new album. And she is not the only one doing that, most artists (especially in the pop genre) that has a new album out will play songs from the new album - maybe not 7-8 songs like Madonna does, but definitely like 4-5 songs.

roryj123, if I am not mistaken you are huge Gaga fan. I was there too and it was brilliant, one of the best concerts of my life! But it was short of similar: of the 24 songs she played, 16 were from the Born This Way album. That's why it is called the Born This Way Ball.

I'd expect Madonna will do another big tour, either for a new album (most likely scenario) or a career retrospective (and with a career expanding for 30 years, she wouldn't be able to satisfy everybody, unless she was playing for 5 hours!!). She is 54 now, when she tours next she will be 57, so it will probably be her last big show.

Well for me the hits come first that's what made Madonna what she is,I don't really see how a tour can promote an Album to non fan audience since anyone who went to the MDNA Tour would have bought MDNA,Ya I get that but Gaga only has 3 albums so does all the singles on top of that,Ya I must go the next time,I can't miss out on another artist,I have already missed the opportunity to see MJ,Whitney etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

roryj123 wrote: »
    Well for me the hits come first that's what made Madonna what she is,I don't really see how a tour can promote an Album to non fan audience since anyone who went to the MDNA Tour would have bought MDNA,Ya I get that but Gaga only has 3 albums so does all the singles on top of that,Ya I must go the next time,I can't miss out on another artist,I have already missed the opportunity to see MJ,Whitney etc!

True, that Michael Jackson thing is haunting me too. . .

Irish Aris wrote: »
    True, that Michael Jackson thing is haunting me too. . .

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublinwon

Well, scores and figures are in.the MDNA tour is the highest grossing tour of 2012, not suprising really, she is the best performer out there today.considering her latin america dates aren't even included in the totals she has done amazing, poor lady garbage didn't even make the top 5 despite doing twice the amount of shows.now bring on the dvd now, need to see this top show again and again

Well, scores and figures are in.the MDNA tour is the highest grossing tour of 2012, not suprising really, she is the best performer out there today.considering her latin america dates aren't even included in the totals she has done amazing, poor lady garbage didn't even make the top 5 despite doing twice the amount of shows.now bring on the dvd now, need to see this top show again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re "she is the best performer out there today".

Dear oh dear.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dublinwon wrote: »

:P:P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭0e1

What do people usually wear if they are going to a concert in aviva and standing on the pitch? Will it be covered over or will it be mucky and I need wellies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

0e1 wrote: »
    What do people usually wear if they are going to a concert in aviva and standing on the pitch? Will it be covered over or will it be mucky and I need wellies

the pitch in the Aviva will be covered, more so to protect the turf than keep your shoes clean;)
    No need for wellies.

Yeah at madonna the pitch was covered with like a white canvas thingy so no not mucky , however it was a monsoon that night so you were more paddling in water than mud sliding . The joys of weather in Ireland in July , I think this year you'll be fine this summer is shaping up to be best since 95. Enjoy whatever gig you going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Dublinwon wrote: »
    ... I think this year you'll be fine this summer is
    shaping up to be best since 95. Enjoy whatever gig you going to.

ah, you've just jinxed it now!

Advertisement