Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo for I52500k?

Options
  • 06-02-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Bro got a refund on his mobo from pixmania but the mobo gone up in price, so he needs one for €124 including delivery from Pixmania :)

Anyone recomend something useful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭M00lers

Sorry for the highjack but I have a similar request. I've been refunded by Amazon for an AsRock Extreme4 Z68 and looking to replace it.

Disappointed that the AsRock was a dud so now I'm thinking ASUS or Gigabyte but they have there own problems. Should I go for another Extreme4 or similar?

You could go with MSI. They seem to have some of the most reliable boards this series.
    Are you shopping on amazon again?

Cheers Mono, MSI had caught my eye as a replacement, GD65 I think. Would buy of Amazon, dabs, komplett, not fussy really!

The GD65 is a higher end board. I know someone with the P67 version and it's working very nicely.

For something a bit cheaper:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Z68A-G43-Motherboard-LGA1155-Gigabit/dp/B005TKVOCY/r
    Specifications:
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-G43--G3-.html

£84.81 @ UK VAT rate delivered.
    Gen 3 board so good for future compatibility. Suitable for one graphics card.

There's a few versions of the GD65.
    The P67 chipset, the Z68 chipset and the G3 version of that.

Here's the latest version.
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-GD65--G3-.html

Z68 allows you to use onboard graphics and SSD caching. Gen 3 is the PCI-E 3 slot with an Ivy bridge CPU.

Notable features of the GD65 is the SLI/Crossfire capability, additional SATA ports, a USB 3 header, optical sound ports and a load of extra switches and stuff.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Mono, that's a great price for a Gen 3 board. I'm tempted to try the AsRock Z68 Extreme4 again, it was supposed to be a great board!!

I was also looking at the MSI Z68 GD65 gen3 variant. The ASUS Z68 Pro Gen3 is tempting me too, decisions, decisions

Well if you liked the features of the asrock then go for it again; duds happen when stuff is shipped halfway around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've got the z68 extreme4, and have installed 3 to date without a hitch. its a fantastic board for very little money.

things that I would fault if I was pedantic:
    colour of the board is subjective (gen3 looks good)
    99.8mhz base clock (doesn't look as badass as 100 with an overclock)
    complicated to get 5Ghz+ (which 99% of chips cant do anyway)

I've built a PC with an Asus z68 pro-v, and I wasn't overly impressed. they also took short cuts with their PCI bridges in their mid and low end boards, which means things start completely shutting down when you start populating your lanes. for shame!

if I was going to go with anything other than asrock, it'd be MSI. can't fault them on anything off the top of my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got msi z68 g45 (b) and it works perfect. So I can't fault msi products yet.
    On the other hand I am lucky with corsair ssd too, which is very lucky too ( tfu tfu tfu )

vote for msi, and stay clear from gygabite boards of this gen.

Went with the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 again, hopefully i'll get a working board this time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement