Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International SIM Cards

Options
  • 06-02-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a reliable international SIM card, prefereably one that will work in India? I only need it for a few weeks. Trailfinders used to do a global SIM card but they said they are not doing it here anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there such a thing? As far as I know all SIMM cards have a home network and any use outside of that network is considered roaming.

Why not buy one when you get to India? I've been reading some financial news about Vodafone in the course of which it said that there is fierce competition in the India mobile market so I'd say you should be able to pickup a PAYG SIMM when you get there and pay a lot less than what you'd pay here - but not the airport as they're likely to fleece you with European prices because you haven't yet seen the downtown India prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Yeah it's just supposed to be a hassle getting a SIM card in India with identity requirements and photos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've used maxroam.com in the past.
    Not sure what rates are like for India though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bakpaker

You could try Aether Mobile. Their rates are pretty good I think, although India seems to be expensive whichever network you call from.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mur1

My girlfriend was in india recently and had no problem getting a sim card, think it cost 5-6 cent to text home and free to receive a call.
    If I remember right, if you left the part of India your sim was local too you had to pay roaming charges or get a new sim for your new area. I think!!!

Edit~ She also has a maxroam sim with her travelling but its very very expensive and only use's it when she has to, much better to get a local sim if all pssible

• Advertisement
Advertisement