Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best burger in Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Have to re-iterate my experiences with Capone's were always positive. Pizza was hot and delicious, definitely not something cooked from a supermarket freezer. Never got the chips but the wedges were delicious. From reading on boards, they had *lots* of complaints after opening but they were addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

padi89 wrote: »
    Ordered a collection for myself and my nephew as I only live a minutes drive away. Picked it up and by the time I was back home the food was barely warm, it had to be reheated. The chips were poor, stuck together in a big lump and very greasy, likewise the nuggets tasted bland more quantity than quality. Opened up the pizza and it was loaded with cheese way too much and hardly any of the toppings ordered whatsoever it was terrible value, tasteless and about as cheap as you can get, it was like a frozen pizza you would get in a supermarket.This was on a Sunday afternoon and there were only a handful of people in their at the time.

i would have no problem bringing crap food back.. ive been there several times myself,always yum.. you got a raw deal that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

If it was free I wouldn't take the food that was served to me that day. It's bad enough that it was cold but for 3 items in the meal to be of very poor standard is just baffling. It was a quick grab as I didn't have time to cook that day as I was heading away. I eat really clean all the time due to a medical condition so when I do treat myself to a take away it's usually devoured, this though was a waste.
    I remember now it was wedges not chips.
    This happened about 6 months ago, they were open a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Ordered a collection for myself and my nephew as I only live a minutes drive away. Picked it up and by the time I was back home the food was barely warm, it had to be reheated. The chips were poor, stuck together in a big lump and very greasy, likewise the nuggets tasted bland more quantity than quality. Opened up the pizza and it was loaded with cheese way too much and hardly any of the toppings ordered whatsoever it was terrible value, tasteless and about as cheap as you can get, it was like a frozen pizza you would get in a supermarket.This was on a Sunday afternoon and there were only a handful of people in their at the time.

I'd say the same about capones. I've had it three times now. First time pizza was decent. second time had a burger again was alright but nothing deserving the praise some people give them on here. Last time got a pizza with barely any toppings on it and hardly no cheese. Again like the other poster the chips were horrible just stuck together into one big lump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

If it was free I wouldn't take the food that was served to me that day. It's bad enough that it was cold but for 3 items in the meal to be of very poor standard is just baffling. It was a quick grab as I didn't have time to cook that day as I was heading away. I eat really clean all the time due to a medical condition so when I do treat myself to a take away it's usually devoured, this though was a waste.
    I remember now it was wedges not chips.
    This happened about 6 months ago, they were open a good while.

I think they have changed hands since then, or if not, they have completely changed their business. Smaller menu with better food. Nicer staff with better attitude. At the start I had a horrendous experience there too and thought it wouldn't last a month, but they have seriously got their act together in the last 6 months. Their pizza wouldn't be the best in Galway, but this thread is about burgers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Had Capones yesterday. Absolutely savage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

The burger in McGinns on the Quays is to die for! Melt in your mouth stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

I'm with Padi89 on this one. Used to get Capones a lot and it started to go downhill so stopped going. Little/no toppings on the pizzas, greasy chips, bland burgers. After this tread started I decided to try them again last night. We had two burgers and chips. Their burgers while proper burgers, I think they are bland. Possibly due the sauce and iceberg lettuce . The chips were a tad greasy (reheated or oil not hot enough when cooked). I won’t be going back.

Back to the OP’s question. Eddie Rockets or the Oslo do good burgers. Haven’t tried Sheridans or McGinns yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyway....

Just thought I'd seal up this thread with this positive review (they always are) from the Advertiser: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/49361/capones-to-make-the-hit-list-for-top-food-killer-deals-and-service

I'm going to try them sometime next week. Sounds like they are having a good run. The problem with these places is consistency. If they can keep it up, you never know, they could be the next Scotty's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

thread will not be sealed :)

open for new input

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

newkie wrote: »
    Anyway....

Just thought I'd seal up this thread with this positive review (they always are) from the Advertiser: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/49361/capones-to-make-the-hit-list-for-top-food-killer-deals-and-service

I'm going to try them sometime next week. Sounds like they are having a good run. The problem with these places is consistency. If they can keep it up, you never know, they could be the next Scotty's.

Sounds lovely, will have to give it a try now!

Finally tried a bacon burger and garlic cheese chips from Capone's yesterday. Website said free delivery over €10 (mine was €10.20). However, when I called I found out they only deliver after 4pm. I placed my order over the phone and ran down to pick up my order. As I had always suspected, the parking there is weird. You have to squeeze around the back of the building where there are only 6 or so spaces. There was only one free, otherwise I suppose I would have had to check ou the underground parking. Went to open the door to Capone's facing the carpark but it was locked. Went around front and was helped by a friendly girl and although I placed my order in advance had to wait several minutes to pickup my order. Had a good look around while waiting and the decor is nice, chairs comfortable, pasta specials for dinner, and wine/bottled beer available. Not really sure how popular they are for dinner, but they seem well setup for it.

So after a wait got my order and zipped back home. Man was it worth it! The chips were really, really awesome. Like someone took a peeled potato and just sliced it in one direction; the chips were huge. Although covered with loads of sauce and cheese they were surpsrisingly crispy and perfectly cooked (and I'm a stickler about fully cooked chips). The burger itself was also quite good, not smothered in sauce like Eddies and didn't sit like a rock like Scottys (which in fairness are bigger). Definitely the burger was made on premisis and came with cheese, lettuce, and onion on a huge grilled bun with lots of fixings. All in all, a big thumbs up and I'd add my vote that's the nicest premium burger I've had in Galway.

I took note they deliver two burgers and chips for €15 and will be keeping this in mind for future Friday nights as a cheap alternative to Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Best burger in Galway:
    Krcma (http://www.krcma.biz/) in salthill, holy jesus you have to try it at least once, the food there is absolutly amazing. I was skeptical at first as I thought it would be czech food, but the burger is absolutly fantastic, definatly on the same level if not better than Charcoal grill/Kebab house. The chicken wings are fantastic too.

Other than that a noteable mention would be The Twelve in barna, not exactly convenient location or after-pub type of place, but for price and quality its definatly one to check out if you found yourself out that side of town.

Capones is definatly a mixed bag, I went there after they opened and the food was incredible, started off going regularly every 2nd saturday or so but stopped for a while and only recently went back to find the place has gone to the dogs. There has been a change in management recently and I think thats why there is so much confusion and mixed opinions as the switch over had such a change in the quality of food and service. I am sure that the place needs to start making some money and that is why all of the portions and foods have gone poorly as of recent times. But having said that I still hear from people that they do seem to get it right at times, roughly 1 in 4 of the meals served there will be fantastic and the rest of the time not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Jack Jordans (eat in or take out) in Doughiksa is fantastic - I recommend the 1/4 pounder. Just make sure if you don't like salt and vinegar to say so (my sisters are not fans of vinegar so they weren't impressed with the chips).

Supermac's smokey bacon burger.

Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

antoobrien wrote: »
    Jack Jordans (eat in or take out) in Doughiksa is fantastic - I recommend the 1/4 pounder. Just make sure if you don't like salt and vinegar to say so (my sisters are not fans of vinegar so they weren't impressed with the chips).

might try there today. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Capones is definatly a mixed bag, I went there after they opened and the food was incredible, started off going regularly every 2nd saturday or so but stopped for a while and only recently went back to find the place has gone to the dogs. There has been a change in management recently and I think thats why there is so much confusion and mixed opinions as the switch over had such a change in the quality of food and service. I am sure that the place needs to start making some money and that is why all of the portions and foods have gone poorly as of recent times. But having said that I still hear from people that they do seem to get it right at times, roughly 1 in 4 of the meals served there will be fantastic and the rest of the time not worth the money.

I'd think the opposite. The started well, went seriously downhill, but now they've really upped their game. The food and service are now excellent and the deals really are incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dinneenp wrote: »
    might try there today. cheers.

Just asked 2 colleagues who live nearby and won't be trying it after their thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

not been impressed with any of the burgers posted here. a place like Bunsen or Five Guys would clean up in Galway, especially with the student population

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

not been impressed with any of the burgers posted here. a place like Bunsen or Five Guys would clean up in Galway, especially with the student population

Biko's gonna love you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

cos i resurrected an old thread? i think i needed the names of the other places, thread only 5 years old, burger places haven't changed that much in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Chili shack is pretty great. Surprisingly the Supermacs 5 oz is pretty decent too.

Oslo burger is great also.

I hate to admit it, but I took the kids to Rockin Joes recently and was surprised how much better they've gotten. Their using a new brioche bun and maybe were were just lucky but it was noticeably better than our experience in the past.

Interesting to hear Chilli Shack still gets a nod. When it was new there was a lot of praise for their burgers being something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Another vote for chilli shack burgers!! Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Massimo does a really tasty beef and stout burger, the chips are great as well.

Oslo in Salthill is lovely too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Murty rabbits does the best burger in the county ðŸ”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I don't think I'd be impressed with a 5 year old burger either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Murty rabbits does the best burger in the county ðŸ”

Do you own murty rabbits? 😂😜

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock
    If you have a question or are looking for recommendations feel free to start a new thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement