Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private moments of relaxation

• 06-02-2012 7:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

No matter how comfortable you are with people, you can never be quite as relaxed in company as you are on your own. For me some of my favourite moments are those which I spend endulging in they joys of solitude. For example:

-Lying in bed at night waiting to fall asleep with complete silence, the perfect foil for deep thought.

-Getting back to the house early before anyone else, sitting down to a nice steak and chips while watching something on TV.

-Standing in the shower after a hard workout in the gym and ripping the hair off my barse n' arse as the hot water flows over me.

-Making a nice coffee and sitting in the garden listening to the birds.

What about you? Any solitary moments you enjoy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Lettting out a fart in the shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Black tar heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Radox and a Hot Bath.

Playing golf on your own on a quiet course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Some people prefer company. But i know what you mean. I like a bit of solitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I like going taking pictures on my own...

I appreciate the quietness, like the open spaces on the side of a Mountien on a beach nice light its peaceful, theres nothing really happening no distractions me my self my camera.

Then theres the added bonus of taking a good picture...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Closing you eyes under the surface of the bath water while pretending you're out in the tropics under a coral reef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

foxyboxer wrote: »

But then if you hit a super shot you have nobody to gloat to. Its times like that you eagle a par 4 and no one believes you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Latchy wrote: »
    Closing you eyes under the surface of the bath water while pretending you're out in the tropics under a coral reef

the radox adds rant true man..... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Driving in the car, you can listen to whatever you want or nothing at all.

Walking the dog early in the morning when no one is up.

Coming back home in the evening after spending the day surrounded by other people to an empty house.

I have to spend atleast a couple of hours alone each day otherwise I think I would go mad. I have friends who need to be with other people all the time. I don't understand that nor they me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Radox and a Hot Bath.

That film sucked!
    Here -

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Love that too. And then you pop your eyes above water level and see you've got a truncheon on but just the head is above the surface so it looks like a little pink volcanic atoll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

I went through a ten year phase of relaxing on my own.......now I cant stand my own company for longer than a couple of hours at a stretch.

I cant actually be relaxed now unless I'm around other people on a fairly regular basis

dysfuntional in two ways was and is I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Standing outside having a smoke staring at the stars.

Spending 20 minutes in the shower just standing there.

Walking down a busy street with my earphones blaring.

And when I'm really tired I like just lying in bed feeling myself fall asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Snowie wrote: »
    the radox adds rant true man..... :pac:
    Especially when the bubbles go up your nose ..sorta like a high :pac:
    Love that too. And then you pop your eyes above water level and see you've got a truncheon on but just the head is above the surface so it looks like a little pink volcanic atoll.
    How very erotic .The women ( and some men ) will love this image .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

agree with you 100% op.
    i love being in the company of myself. i enjoy the company of others too but solitude is needed every once in a while for a bit of R & R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

**** in the shower. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Got to be sitting on the bowl taking a sh**e when no one else is home. Which leads me on to a similar topic, I spend all day on the road so have to rely on crappy filling station bogs. Why is it as soon as you sit down some fecker is always trying to get in??

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Got to be sitting on the bowl taking a sh**e when no one else is home. Which leads me on to a similar topic, I spend all day on the road so have to rely on crappy filling station bogs. Why is it as soon as you sit down some fecker is always trying to get in??

Ewwww! No disgusting ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

early morning starts, up and about on the road before the rest of the traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

For me I like going for a long walk preferably somewhere with a view like a beach, driving the car on a long journey listening to my choice of talk show or music, having the house to myself watching my favourite tv shows or movies (have been known to watch 2 to 3 complete TV series over a weekend while the rest of the family are away)....and the one that many people find odd, going to the cinema alone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

That moment when you know you're just about to go asleep , is the ultimate solitude for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

nicely packed doobie full of green.
    Lay on couch with hot/cold beverage.
    Decent tunes/TV show or movie.

There's no bliss, like stoned bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

How very erotic .The women ( and some men ) will love this image .:pac:

It is? I'm still trying to figure out what it means. :)

My favourite time is the early morning stillness you get when you go out for the just-before-dawn-run.

The aloneness, the silence, the sound of nothing but my own breathing, no intrusion on my thoughts, no demands, no expectations. Just one foot in front of the other. Its hypnotically peaceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im a night owl and most night i cant wait for my 2 am smoke out in the garden looking at the stars and listening to the odd car going by on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

-Getting back to the house early before anyone else, sitting down to a nice steak and chips while watching something on TV.

That's my favourite one too. That or waking up to find you've the house all to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

A Roaring fire,a good book,a glass of wine and the rain bouncing of the window.

Oh.........and the wife and kids visiting her sister down the country.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

boobar wrote: »
    and the one that many people find odd, going to the cinema alone.

I love going to the cinema alone. I can see what I want at a time that suits me and nobody talking to me during the movie.

A Roaring fire,a good book,a glass of wine and the rain bouncing of the window.

Bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Sitting alone by the railway line on a hot summers day. Something I enjoy a lot strangely. I used to sit for like 2 hours doing nothing when I was younger. Dont do it as much now that Im older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Oh yes, listening to weekly podcasts that I really enjoy late at night when everyone's in bed, or getting the sitting room to myself for an evening and having a couple of cans with a good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

I preferred Jackass's artistic interpretation of the good walk spoiled.

lying in bed late at night watching the night sky and feeling like you're the only person in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Going for a long walk on my own down a deserted street with my ipod on so I can sing along. Either that or just cosying up on the sofa with my boy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Giselle wrote:

My favourite time is the early morning stillness you get when you go out for the just-before-dawn-run.

The aloneness, the silence, the sound of nothing but my own breathing, no intrusion on my thoughts, no demands, no expectations. Just one foot in front of the other. Its hypnotically peaceful.

This one gave me the chills it was that evocative

For me its the occasional Friday afternoon when i finish work at half one, and head to a quiet corner of the pub with a pint and the Irish times, to read from cover to cover. Sometimes I even attempt the crossword.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

ooh there are few things greater than a super hot ridiculously sudsy bath-I mean so hot that you have to inch yourself into the water gradually to avoid being scalded :pac: mmm and then dipping your ears under the water so that all you can hear is your heartbeat and breath-so relaxing and you sleep like a log afterwards!

Getting into bed early with a really good book that you've been looking forward to reading and then having amazing dreams that night (don't try this with 'The Shining' though :p)

Going Cycling at night when there isn't a soul around and listening to music like cinematic Orchastra/ Bon Iver / James Blake and feeling like your on a different planet.

Getting up at dawn or still being awake from the night before and sitting out in the cold air with a steaming mug of coffee, listening to the birds singing in the trees-bliss :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I go up to Howth sometimes for a walk. I love the solitude, and am usually greeted with a view like this: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4096/4901462682_fb04417f55_z.jpg

A simpler one is time spent in my attic, looking out the window at Howth head and the sea. I usually open the window and just stand there in the fresh air and light wind, not even really thinking about anything, just looking and watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

before I moved to where I am now, I used to live right beside a park
    during the summer I could find a secluded spot, lie down and close my eyes, forget about everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Coming down off a night on E, with my girlfriend massaging my neck as the energy rushes fade away slowly; while toking on a joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Putting your head on a pillow, hot chocolate, chill music...

*doorbell rings

"HEY MAN CMON LETS GO GET MESSED UP CMON YOU WANNA GO FOR A FEW PINTS I MEAN JESUS DONT BE A DRY ARSE MAN JUST HAVE SOME FUN AND COME OUT"

die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Lying in bed late at night watching the night sky and feeling the rain drops on your forehead from the hole in the roof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I love my own company, faves momemnts are...

...getting up a Saturday when hubby has gone to work and teenager is still in bed. Telly on - no football allowed, catch up on emails, facebook, boards. Hot sugary tea and 5 fags.

...buying a new book then finding you have a few hours alone to start it in peace.

...going shopping on my own, hate going with friends.

...bed all to myself at the weekend but leaving the weekday alarm on so I can have as many snoozes as I want - guilt free !

...an hour or two mooching around in the library looking at books on subjects I would never normally consider.

watching slushy trashy schmaltzy movies on a sunday and no-one to tell me how **** they are...i know it's **** - leave me be !

could go on all night

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I can't put my head under any water, so this is something I'll never experience :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just being able to lie back with your eyes closed and listening to an album uninterrupted from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Good old fashion belly rub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

The silence and open-ness of camping in the wilderness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Trout and Salmon flyfishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Lying on your back under a tall tree, and looking straight up, on a sunny summer day and seeing the breeze gently shake and rustle the branches of the leaves against a backdrop of a light blue sky.

Staring at clouds and their, I have yet to find a word to describe it, the state of being a cloud. Of hanging suspended above the earth gently and sluggishly evaporating and being billowing with absolute no care of where your headed and no control. Just unfurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Ewwww! No disgusting ones!

Says Mr. Truncheon Head. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Going to the bathroom for a nice long shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

antodeco wrote: »
    I can't put my head under any water, so this is something I'll never experience :(

How do you shower?
    Good old fashion belly rub

:D

I'd prefer a back rub myself. A good back rub is a wonderful thing!
    Sindri wrote: »
    Lying on your back under a tall tree, and looking straight up, on a sunny summer day and seeing the breeze gently shake and rustle the branches of the leaves against a backdrop of a light blue sky.

Staring at clouds and their, I have yet to find a word to describe it, the state of being a cloud. Of hanging suspended above the earth gently and sluggishly evaporating and being billowing with absolute no care of where your headed and no control. Just unfurling.

Cloudiness? :)

Very much agree with the summer day idea. well i'd prefer a summer evening, not too warm, sun is setting, gentle breeze, eyes closed... ahhhhh

• Advertisement
Advertisement