Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable guide for fish capicity

Options
  • 06-02-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Is there a reliable place to find out what fish capicity a tank has?

We have a 90 litre tank and currently have 12 tetras, 1 small pleco and 1 corydoras in it. I'd love to add a pair of sailfin mollys and a few gold tetras but don't want to overload the tank. I know there's 1 inch of fish per gallon rule but not sure that's very accurate depending on what kind of fish they are.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

http://aqadvisor.com/ and http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/community.html/ are handy enough for a general guide of what can go in the tank.

Bear in mind the 1 inch per gallon is based on the adult size of the fish, not the babies in the shop.
    A full grown pleco can grow to over a foot. Bristlenose plecos stay smaller though - but they're mad ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The think fish site is excellent, thanks! They seem to reckon the tank is only at 2/3rds capacity so I could squeeze something else in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Silverfish wrote: »
    Bristlenose plecos stay smaller though - but they're mad ugly.

they are not!!!! :mad:

Are too.

I had one, I was quite attached to him but had to re-home him, his ugly face was scaring my goldies, he went to a lovely home where I hope he's still doing well.
    But he looked like an alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tbh if adding more add some more corys, they are a shoaling fish and will be happier with some friends :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Is it possible to gauge the well-being of fish ?

Are too.

I had one, I was quite attached to him but had to re-home him, his ugly face was scaring my goldies, he went to a lovely home where I hope he's still doing well.
    But he looked like an alien.

pfft, you are so shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't see there being a problem adding the fish, some guides are way over the top on the space per fish.

Just up the water changes a bit and don't over feed and you'll be grand.

tbh if adding more add some more corys, they are a shoaling fish and will be happier with some friends :)

Sorry OP, missed that you'd only one cory in there, definitely get him some friends, he'll be happier / healthier with a group.
    paddyandy wrote: »
    Is it possible to gauge the well-being of fish ?

Yes and no. Fish are like a lot of creatures, showing illness in the wild means you'll die. Fish will hide illness until it's too late to do anything, usually, as other fish will bully and attack the weaker fish.
    Generally once your water parameters are good, you do the water changes regularly, the fish is eating and swimming normally, and it's colours / eyes are good, then you can assume it's healthy.
    Really, you keep the water, and the water keeps the fish.
    fungun wrote: »
    pfft, you are so shallow.

I am not, I'm the proud owner of a particularly ugly mouse with an open wound. I deserve a freakin' medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Thanks for the replies, more corys to the shopping list so. I'm going to be taking over my husband's tank so I get to choose the new fish, he's responsible for having a lonely cory.

Silverfish and fungun - you're like 2 bold children in a playground :D

• Advertisement

Silverfish and fungun - you're like 2 bold children in a playground :D

She started it, called my little pet ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

http://aqadvisor.com/ and http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/community.html/ are handy enough for a general guide of what can go in the tank.

Bear in mind the 1 inch per gallon is based on the adult size of the fish, not the babies in the shop.
    A full grown pleco can grow to over a foot. Bristlenose plecos stay smaller though - but they're mad ugly.

Otos are the way to go if you want algae control :D

spiralism wrote: »
    Otos are the way to go if you want algae control :D

Not with my goldfish, they'd be lunch in seconds!

I've five nerite snails in there at the minute trucking about munching everything.

Advertisement