Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SxS for Clays?

Options
  • 06-02-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, as above, anyone use a side by side for Clays? Just that I'm limited to one shotgun and I'm selling my mossberg pump,I want a gun light enough for game shooting, but I really love side by side,and everyone tells me you can't use them for Clays. All I've had are singles(pump or semi) so I'm lost! I know guys who use sxs for this but why does everyone seem to have O/U. I will just be shooting Clays out of season for practice and would be glad for any help.
    CHEERS
    LR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I only have one shotgun, and it's a side by side. While I'm not a big user of the shotgun, I find it just as good for clays as anything else. A lot of lads will give you BS about having to have an O and U, or that you shouldn't use a semi.

To be honest, it is whatever you feel comfortable with. Try as many guns as you can before you buy. When you are in the shop, you will know what you like and what you don't as soon as you mount them to your shoulder.

For me personally, I like the feel of a side by side, and vain as I am, I like the look of them better too. My shotgun is a user, so I dont worry to much about the odd dent here and there.

I would advise getting a side by side with multi chokes as it will give you more versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Longranger

I shoot a long barreled SXS with fixed chokes, fowling gun for sporting.
    Like OU guns for sporting, trap and skeet competition, SXS guns must be strong to endure the firing of hundreds a day and thousands of rounds over time. They must also be heavy enough to absorb recoil during a long days shooting, yet handle smoothly and point naturally. Weight should be 7.5 - 8.5 lb.

To accomplish this, the gun should use a frame that is wider and heavier than normal and a strong bolting system. Think wild fowling guns or live pigeon guns. These guns are normally made with a pistol grip and a larger forend to allow the shooter a solid hold on the gun. Barrels are extra long -30 and up to 32 inches - and can have a ventilated rib.

The stock should have good straight grain through the grip and head, because of the extra stresses of many, many shots.

Their out there, you just have to look and that is half the fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I done a round of clays with a lad shooting a SxS that he bought for €1, he gave it a good clean up and broke 45 out of 50 clays that day,

And that was an off day for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I use my side by side for clays and i love it , if its what you want to use ,get one. It won't hurt you recoil wise if the gun fits you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Thanks lads. I think I'll stick it out and go for the nice sxs;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I shot a Fabarm classis last year and if I could afford one I would have it tomorrow.

It felt like an O/U and it shot like an O/U. It didn't bust your shoulder it is the only sxs I have shot that actually fit me correctly and felt comfortable to hold, pistol grip, single trigger, nice stock length etc

The cheapest second hand and in good nick retailed at ,€1800. It may take me a few years but i will have one;)

http://www.fabarm.com/en/products-classis12.htm

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/100461/Fabarm_Beta_Classis.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Caven

That is a nice gun and I think it has the Fleurs de Lys (steel proof) stamp, at least the newer guns do.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

i have a zabala side by side that i use for everything,no bother in breaking clays with it,has 3inch chambers and is multi choked

Advertisement