Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCard

Options
  • 06-02-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

So I got this email there
    Dear Conor,

As you are aware UCARD was launched this year and a new smart chip has been integrated with the student card. We see from our records that your student card still has not been upgraded to include the chip. It is now a requirement of the University that all students cards are upgraded to UCARD by the 17th February 2012. If it has not been upgraded by this date your card will become inactive which will affect certain services including access to the Universities Libraries. If you are currently on a study year (or semester) abroad or you are on a Leave of absence you will be required to upgrade your card upon your return. You will be receiving communications nearer to the time of your return with instructions as to how you will avail of the upgraded card.”

Kind Regards

UCARD Customer Services

This is the first I've heard of "It is now a requirement of the University that all students cards are upgraded to UCARD". I thought this was only for people who live on campus though?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well originally it was the people who lived on campus who got a UCard, I think they were always planning to roll them out on a phased basis.

The office is beside Centra, having a UCard is handy if you want to photocopy in the library.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have a UCard that just doesn't work in the Belgrove laundry? No matter which way I hold the card up to the reader, it doesn't do anything, which is a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Don't really understand why they didn't make them mandatory at the start of the college year instead of half war through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hmm well since its free, I'll sort it out on wednesday so. Thanks gents!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

CrazyFish wrote: »
    Don't really understand why they didn't make them mandatory at the start of the college year instead of half war through.

I suppose the rational was to stagger the demand to avoid long waits and queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

What do these Ucards do out of interest? Had to pick up one there and I'm a little curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Do they issue you a new card or just update your current one?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Depends on how old it is. My one was a few years old at this stage so they replaced it.

Oh yeah, as a heads up, it'll interfere with scanning a bus card on Dublin bus - you need to take one out of your wallet if you're using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

They work as readable proximity cards a la the leap card so theoretically could be used for lots of stuff - library access, car park access (maybe, one day ;)), electronic payment at campus outlets, photocopying (think this has already been put in place?), exam attendance etc etc. The prox thing should put an end to the old card rubbing trick needed to get into the library at least...

No real difference at the moment though. Staff have had them for a while now, so they must be getting phased in gradually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

L wrote: »
    Depends on how old it is. My one was a few years old at this stage so they replaced it.

Oh yeah, as a heads up, it'll interfere with scanning a bus card on Dublin bus - you need to take one out of your wallet if you're using it.
    Or just separate the folds - I have a tri-fold wallet, stick my bus ticket on one of the sides, and my student card in the middle - unfold the side with the bus ticket, and it scans no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Anyone know if you have to surrender your current student card? My current one was the lucky one's with no expiry date, and I don't fancy giving it up without a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

ironclaw wrote: »
    Anyone know if you have to surrender your current student card? My current one was the lucky one's with no expiry date, and I don't fancy giving it up without a fight.

I think you do, but when I was moving into campus accommodation this year, I got a new UCard without having to hand up my old student card - neither of the cards have an expiry date or a date of birth, just an 'issue date'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Well originally it was the people who lived on campus who got a UCard, I think they were always planning to roll them out on a phased basis.

The office is beside Centra, having a UCard is handy if you want to photocopy in the library.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have a UCard that just doesn't work in the Belgrove laundry? No matter which way I hold the card up to the reader, it doesn't do anything, which is a bit of a pain.

My card won't work in the Belgrove laundry either, which is a huge pain. I'm first year, so it's definitely a UCard. I went to the Merville office, who told me I had 'hotlisted' my card, and they reactivated it for me. But it still won't work, apparently it's still 'hotlisted'...what does that even mean?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You get a fancy new card when you upgrade.

The barcode on mine was pretty faded (Despite the fact I've looked after my card pretty well....), so a new card made getting into the library a damnsight easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

ironclaw wrote: »

Technically yes as theyre college property, in practice no way are ucd going to collect them up. Id imagine the old type just wont be accepted anywhere once the ucard rollout is complete. The old no expiry date cards have already been causing problems with student discounts or so I heard...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Yeah lots of places won't take a card without an expiry date, my ucard doesn't have one anyway

EmilyO wrote: »
    My card won't work in the Belgrove laundry either, which is a huge pain. I'm first year, so it's definitely a UCard. I went to the Merville office, who told me I had 'hotlisted' my card, and they reactivated it for me. But it still won't work, apparently it's still 'hotlisted'...what does that even mean?!

If you go to SIS, then to 'My UCard' there is an option to hotlist your card. I did this before just to see what hotlist was, but it seemed to say it kind of suspended the card, so I pressed the option to unhotlist it - maybe that's what stopped it working at the Belgrove Laundry?

But my card still works for the accommodation, the main gate outside the accommodation, the library, and even the photocopiers in the library which use the same technology as the machines in the Belgrove laundry, so I don't think it's disabled!?

Edit: According to the Staff UCARD FAQ, to hotlist the card means to deactivate it so nobody can use it if you have lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

If you go to SIS, then to 'My UCard' there is an option to hotlist your card. I did this before just to see what hotlist was, but it seemed to say it kind of suspended the card, so I pressed the option to unhotlist it - maybe that's what stopped it working at the Belgrove Laundry?

But my card still works for the accommodation, the main gate outside the accommodation, the library, and even the photocopiers in the library which use the same technology as the machines in the Belgrove laundry, so I don't think it's disabled!?

Edit: According to the Staff UCARD FAQ, to hotlist the card means to deactivate it so nobody can use it if you have lost it.

Why do they insist on using some snazzy word like hotlist to confuse people? Why not just have an option to deactivate the card on the website? Trendy, hip and modern though I suppose.

Advertisement