Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the LAPD or NYPD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hally_89

Palmy wrote: »
    Alot of flight training schools rules are changing regarding foreign students.You could certainly finish your training in the United states but as to getting a job after i very much doubt it.Afew years back you could finish your instructors rating and with the time left on your visa teach until the visa expires.This would of been from doing a full ppl-cpl to intructors rating course.Being a pilot is not high enough on the list to get sponsered by a company for a long term visa.:rolleyes:

I was just looking up some of the flight training schools in Florida there but havnt read much on them yet. All the ones ive been on offer an M1 visa to come over and complete the training so would it be possible to apply for a green card while on an M1 Visa? It seems to be a Student Visa so may not allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You are correct, the M1 is a student, non-immigrant visa and doesn't allow you to apply for a greencard by itself. Of course, if you find work while there, the employer can then petition you for a work visa (always easier to find an employer if you have local qualifications and are in the country to attend an in-person interview), and that work visa may lead to a grencard later.

Keep in mind that both F1 and M1 visas are for full-time students and only allow very limited work, so you'd need to have a lot of savings.

silja wrote: »
    You are correct, the M1 is a student, non-immigrant visa and doesn't allow you to apply for a greencard by itself. Of course, if you find work while there, the employer can then petition you for a work visa (always easier to find an employer if you have local qualifications and are in the country to attend an in-person interview), and that work visa may lead to a grencard later.

Keep in mind that both F1 and M1 visas are for full-time students and only allow very limited work, so you'd need to have a lot of savings.

Ya ill have to check the course price and if its not too bad i could apply for a loan or something and pay it back then once/if i get work out of the course. Just came across a visa called a JB-1 which lets you work while in education and also counts towards a year or residency but costs $500,000 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

The only real way to get a greencard is the D.V lottery,Marry an American or get sponserd first by a U.S employer or an investment of 500k.You cant just start on a student visa and apply for a greencard.The sponsership is really the only way but you seriously need something they cant employ an American with.I know one guy and it cost his company 10k to sponser him.

The only real way to get a greencard is the D.V lottery,Marry an American or get sponserd first by a U.S employer or an investment of 500k.You cant just start on a student visa and apply for a greencard.The sponsership is really the only way but you seriously need something they cant employ an American with.I know one guy and it cost his company 10k to sponser him.

Ya I was hoping the helicopter pilot would be a good job for sponsorship but considering that the place I would be doing the licence is an academy for pilots I take it theres loads of them there. Would being a pilot definitely not be good enough for sponsorship if I got a full time job flying over there?

I'm still trying to get in touch with a friend of mine whos gone to Aus atm who got his pilots licence in Florida to see if there was any offers for him when he was there. He had an Australian passport hence that's why he went there

• Advertisement

Being a pilot will def not get you a visa.There is way to many unemployed pilots in the U.S.Unless you had 5000faa,twin ir rating etc etc you might, but you would have to be super qualified as a Pilot and you would be up against other as qualified pilots how can legally work in the U.S.
    Put it this way, if an American pilot was looking for work in Ireland and need to be sponsered and is up against an Irish guy with the same qualifications who do you think the company will choose Hire a guy straight off the bat no hassles or a guy who needs to be sponsered for a visa!Aus and N.Z are the same you wont get sponsered as a pilot.

Does anyone know if there is a US Embassy in Cork? Or is there only one in Dublin?

Hally_89 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a US Embassy in Cork? Or is there only one in Dublin?

Only Dublin.

silja wrote: »

Only Dublin.

Thanks. I think I may try speak to them about everything I've learned so far and see what they say about it.

I spent about an hour last night looking into the US Army and what the story was there. Originally I was told that a term in the military was 4 years but according to the website it's a 2 year term of active duty then 6 years IRR so I may consider it. Unfortunately I don't like the idea of going to war so I may opt for the National Guard instead. Any term in the military from what I've found out means that I would be entitled to US Citizenship which comes in 1 year apparently

Yes, military means expedited citizenship. The term you stay in depends on the branch... some have 2, some 4 (Navy, I think), and some 6 year terms.

You can't just go to the US embassy and have a chat. They will not let you in without an appointment, and there are no "just talking" appointments. There is a premium phone line you can call, but from what I read on here they are not very god- callcenter employees without much knowledge other than what is in their script. You are probably better off doing lots of reading on boards and official websites such as http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

• Advertisement

Or try contacting a recruitment office (Marines etc) by email.Tell them your story.. eg. you want to join but you dont have a visa etc and see what they say.You wont be the first or last person to apply from overseas.Trying to contact the Embassey is a waste of time.
    If you do join up chances are you will be deployed and see action.If you want to play it safe join the Navy.Id rather be stuck on a ship in the gulf than dodging bullets.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Thanks. I think I may try speak to them about everything I've learned so far and see what they say about it.

I spent about an hour last night looking into the US Army and what the story was there. Originally I was told that a term in the military was 4 years but according to the website it's a 2 year term of active duty then 6 years IRR so I may consider it. Unfortunately I don't like the idea of going to war so I may opt for the National Guard instead. Any term in the military from what I've found out means that I would be entitled to US Citizenship which comes in 1 year apparently

To the best of my knowledge many many units of the national guard have been deployed to fight in wars. Joining the us military is not something to jump into...think long and hard about it, as once you sign on the dotted line there is no turning back, no deciding you just don't like it. Fighting in a war to get a green card seems like a very bad idea to me. Why not pursue educational qualifications that would qualify you to work over here? Or the 1 year j visa available to graduates to see if you really would like living here long term?

Or try contacting a recruitment office (Marines etc) by email.Tell them your story.. eg. you want to join but you dont have a visa etc and see what they say.You wont be the first or last person to apply from overseas.Trying to contact the Embassey is a waste of time.
    If you do join up chances are you will be deployed and see action.If you want to play it safe join the Navy.Id rather be stuck on a ship in the gulf than dodging bullets.:cool:

Ya I may do that. I would like to see a bit of action but not too much so the Navy might be the better option alright. Are the navy defiantly a 4 year term of service? Also would they be considered as Military? As in would I be eligible for Enlisted citizenship by being a member?
    avalon68 wrote: »

To the best of my knowledge many many units of the national guard have been deployed to fight in wars. Joining the us military is not something to jump into...think long and hard about it, as once you sign on the dotted line there is no turning back, no deciding you just don't like it. Fighting in a war to get a green card seems like a very bad idea to me. Why not pursue educational qualifications that would qualify you to work over here? Or the 1 year j visa available to graduates to see if you really would like living here long term?

Ya well I've been giving a lot of thought. It isn't the brightest idea but I would enjoy the army bar the going to war part. My girlfriend has an aunt living in New York so I think we may head over there for a few weeks and see what the place is like and job posabilites etc.

Of course the Navy is part of the military.....

In regards to terms of service, from http://www.usmilitary.com/seven-questions-recruiter/: \
    How long am I required to serve?
    Everyone who enlists in the United States Military, whether its for active duty (full time) or Reserves/National Guard (part time) incurs an eight-year service obligation. The most common enlistment contract consists of four years active duty and four years in a Reserve (part-time) component. Whatever amount of time is not spent on active duty (which is full-time duty) or spent in the Drilling Guard/Reserves (those who drill one weekend per month, and two weeks per year, and are subject to be called to active duty), is spent in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserves).

This may be useful: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter1.htm

Yeah think long and hard.I work with loads of guys who did tours in Iraq and Afg.. Its not for everyone.One guy i work with had an rpg miss his head by inchs,and they all have buddies that didn't come back.Combat pay was around €2700 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

If the military is the way you want to go, I would consider looking first into the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard protects the coast of the US and they have the power to arrest US citizens and are thus more of a police force (in some respects) than the other military branches. They also fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime but can be given over to the Department of the Navy during war. Considering your interest in law enforcement, I would look into joining the Coast Guard.

From the Coast Guard recruitment site:

What if I'm not a United States citizen and do I have to speak english?
    Enlistment into the U.S. Coast Guard, or any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, by citizens of other countries is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Alien Registration Card (USCIS Form I-151/551 - commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must speak, read, and write English fluently.

The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/get-the-answers/faq#What if I'm not a United States citizen and do I have to speak english?

http://www.gocoastguard.com/serving-in-the-u.s.-coast-guard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You still need a green card first to join the military, doesn't matter what branch. The lottery is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You're in Cork op? Forgot to say that a few American technology companies have brought over a lot of BIS graduates from UCC to the US. Fidelity Investments brought one of my best friends to Boston on a H-1B visa in 2007. He's still there. Studying BIS could be worth looking into, more realistic than joining the military anyway.

If the military is the way you want to go, I would consider looking first into the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard protects the coast of the US and they have the power to arrest US citizens and are thus more of a police force (in some respects) than the other military branches. They also fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime but can be given over to the Department of the Navy during war. Considering your interest in law enforcement, I would look into joining the Coast Guard.

From the Coast Guard recruitment site:

What if I'm not a United States citizen and do I have to speak english?
    Enlistment into the U.S. Coast Guard, or any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, by citizens of other countries is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Alien Registration Card (USCIS Form I-151/551 - commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must speak, read, and write English fluently.

The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/get-the-answers/faq#What if I'm not a United States citizen and do I have to speak english?

http://www.gocoastguard.com/serving-in-the-u.s.-coast-guard

I was actually just looking at it last night. I never knew the coast guard was part of the Military. Im actually going to look into this further because i wouldnt need citizenship just a greencard. It would also be good training like you said if i go into law enforcement afterwards. Do you know how long a term in the coast guard is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Not sure, but you can probably find that in their FAQ.

• Advertisement

Not sure, but you can probably find that in their FAQ.

found it after i posted the comment. seems to be the same with all of the military sections.

Does anyone know what kind of jobs I could work on an F-1 visa? ive been looking into the helicopter idea again and Bristow Academy offer an F-1 visa which lets you work a certain amount so my aim is to turn that eventually into a permanent resident visa and then a greencard with a bit of luck.

Ive been doing alot of thinking and think I know what I want to do but to actually get it done now is another thing. Once I have my greencard im going to join the Navy or the Coast Guard for the experience, training and to help speed up the citizenship and then the LAPD if all goes to plan.

If i dont get my greencard as soon as I planned ive managed to get in contact with my friend in AUZ who got his pilots licence in Palm Beach Helicopters and he said theres a few of his friends still there who would be able to sort me out with accomodation, training, jobs etc so thats a major bonus. I was talking to him last night and he said for a Helicopter pilot he said the hardest part is getting the visa. He said getting a pilot job, in Florida especially is quite easy so I hope hes right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Just to add if your over 35 you can't join the nypd, but if where in the army etc you knock 4yrs off your age.

I think it's 35. On my iPod so hard to check. So you may want to get the ball rolling. I too would love to join the nypd or even nyfd. All just had a cousin leave the u.s air force after 20 plus yrs and she found it very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duck_77

I would say most of the discussion is hypothetical to a degree.

Getting a Greencard/LPR is not that easy despite the lottery (I spent long enough trying it myself)

Plus sponsorship is not always an option.

Duck 77 is right.I don't want to sound to negitive but,you probably have as much chance as a person in India (Just a random country)Getting a permanent residence visa for Ireland and then joining the Gardai.I am not saying it isn't possible but a very hard and long process.As stated the problem is getting the Greencard first.Not an easy thing to do or get.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

You could spend years waiting for the diversity lottery....and even if you are successful there, it's almost another year of processing before you can move, followed by waiting 5 years in the US before you can become a US citizen.

Oh ya I understand that. That's why I said with a bit of luck. By that meaning I could get it soon and hopefully not waiting years. If I do decided to make the move to the US hopefully I might end up in a spot where sponsorship may be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duck_77

Here is a simplified version of the choices for immigration to the USA (permanent). Bear in mind that UK citizens from the Island of Great Britain Do not have the lottery option.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

As you mentioned there are non-immigrant visas but this will not be useful for what you want to do.

Advertisement