Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I don't know if my landlord should get this cheque..

Options
  • 06-02-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I have another dilemma. I have been staying in student accomodation since last September and I have a cheque here that will pay for next 4ish months. However, last semester the ceiling in my room was leaking and I had to move out for a week so they could fix it. They offered me accomodation with a bunch of randomers but I didnt want that so found another place myself. Last week the ceiling started leaking again and they've decided to move myself and my friend to another apartment with 4 randomers. I've checked out the apartment and room they have given me and its nothing like our own, my room smaller and pretty dirty. They want me to pay my rent for the next few months now but I dont want to be paying for a downgrade in my accomodation. What makes it worse is the first time I had to move out was during my exams and now its during the final week of my final year project.
    To summarise, the accomodation isn't cheap and I dont want to move to a dirtier apartment for the same price while they repair the same problem in my room for the second time.
    Can any1 please advise me?

BTW the landlord(s) are pretty ignorant and its a big apartment complex so theres no need to be too lenient on them.

Regards,
    Jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If you don't pay the rent, you will be in breach of your obligations.

You should advise the landlord that you will not accept a downgrade in accommodation and that they provide you with equivalent or better accommodation especially as this is the second time.
    Also advise them that you will make a claim for damages with the PRTB for the loss of peaceful occupation, for the upset, inconvenience and distress caused.

You can find lots of adjudications for this type of claim in the PRTB disputes resolutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

+1 for what odds_on said

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭IrishJack89

odds_on wrote: »
    If you don't pay the rent, you will be in breach of your obligations.

You should advise the landlord that you will not accept a downgrade in accommodation and that they provide you with equivalent or better accommodation especially as this is the second time.
    Also advise them that you will make a claim for damages with the PRTB for the loss of peaceful occupation, for the upset, inconvenience and distress caused.

You can find lots of adjudications for this type of claim in the PRTB disputes resolutions.

Cheers for that. I don't want to kick up a fuss, I just wish they were a bit more obliging and genuinely made an effort to make up for the nuisance/inconvenience/annoyance it has been.. I shouldn't have to ask them but they should offer to reduce the rent a tad bit or something out of courtesy and for the sake of a good reputation and good sorta consumer relations if that makes sense..

Advertisement