Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heater question (switches)

Options
  • 06-02-2012 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm trying to work out the switches for the storage heater in my apartment. There is a switch on the storage heater itself with a dial. I assume this is the booster.

There are also two switches on the wall next to the storage heater on either side. The one on the right hand side lights up when I switch it on now (at 7.45pm), while the other one doesn't light up.

I read on wikipedia that these switches could be the off peak and peak power switches. Is it possible to determine which is which? There aren't any labels as far as I can see.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

uppsju wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out the switches for the storage heater in my apartment. There is a switch on the storage heater itself with a dial. I assume this is the booster.
    This will provide rapid heat at anytime day or night.
    There are also two switches on the wall next to the storage heater on either side. The one on the right hand side lights up when I switch it on now (at 7.45pm), while the other one doesn't light up.
    The one that lights provides heat droning off peak hours (at the cheap rate) from one heating element. The other switch will provide heat at any time. It is a supply for the 2nd heating element that I described above.

Your storage heater is a combi unit with 2 heating elements and 2 supplies. One supply can be used at anytime and the other supply will automatically switch on during off peak times so that you can avail of cheaper unit rates.
    I read on wikipedia that these switches could be the off peak and peak power switches. Is it possible to determine which is which? There aren't any labels as far as I can see.
    The one that lights up is lit during off peak times. While this is on everything in your home is supplied at the cheaper off peak rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I would of thought that the switch thats lighting at 7:45pm is the peak hours one for the boost heating, and the other one is for the off peak night time heating of the storage heating part.

Does the non lighting one light up during the night OP? Sometime after 11pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 uppsju

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the one that didn't light up seems to light up during the night, so I guess that takes care of that.

I'm still a bit unsure if I wouldn't be better off getting an oil filled radiator just for the few hours I'd need a little warmth, rather than having the night storage heater churn away all night and perhaps not be particularly useful in the late evening hours. It appears from what I read that it requires a bit of prediction as regards to the weather since the heat released is based on the previous night's heating...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I would of thought that the switch thats lighting at 7:45pm is the peak hours one for the boost heating, and the other one is for the off peak night time heating of the storage heating part

Yes, you are correct. A bit early in the morning for me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct. A bit early in the morning for me:)

Even the time i answered at was too easly for me, i had to look 2 or 3 times to see was i reading it right:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement