Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley is in hospital...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Met him once, he was quite nice, he did mellow a lot and I would wish him a speedy recovery.
    Love or hate him he was a dominant figure in politics for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

lividduck wrote: »
    Love or hate him he was a dominant figure in politics for a long time.
    So was Ceaușescu:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I always admired him for this .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I remember a teacher of mine saying that he brought a school rugby team from Galway to the North for a match, and they were all staying in the houses of families of the members of the other team.

One guy was staying with Mr. Paisley and his wife, and apparently they were perfect hosts, doing everything they could for him and being generally lovely.
    This was long, long before he mellowed out too.
    As mentioned earlier, he seemed to be like that with everyone outside of politics, whether they were Protestant or Catholic.

Though I have mixed feelings about his political influence overall, I still wish him a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why? He probably felt the same about anyone that called themselves Irish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

A bit OT, but this is one of my favourite of just the first few comments on that:
    Paisley is truly one of the most obnoxious Irishmen ever!!! Awful bloody island of religious maniacs! Stay out of England please!

Where to begin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

mikemac1 wrote: »
    gcgirl wrote: »
    from what I have heard he is a gent outside of politics

You were misinformed

Sports is not politics and yet he stood outside Ravenhill in Belfast ranting and raving at rugby supporters going to a match on a Sunday

Catholic Church seems completely laid back and relaxed compared to the rules he follows
    I think I will take my friends word on it thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

You left out the best bit - he also saved Ulster from sodomy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Why? He probably felt the same about anyone that called themselves Irish...

Not so
    "I was born in the island of Ireland. I have Irish traits in me - we don't all have the traits of what came from Scotland, there is the celtic factor... and I am an Irishman because you cannot be an Ulsterman without being an Irishman"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

With the horrors, bloodshed and hatred that went on up north for decades, you would have been laughed at by everyone and their mother for saying one day McGuinness and Paisley would sit at the same table. Furthermore, they would be affectionately known as the chuckle brothers as they went on trade missions to the states together.

To be able to change your hate filled ways is something a lot of people could take heed of whatever his motivations were for doing so.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement

I remember he and the Baroness came to visit the Republic one time.

He was so kind, so generous and so sweet.

He whispered softly in my ear, "you know its not true" he said, "you don't all smell of shit' down here". Ah he was a wondrous person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

why did he mellow so much?
    Hefty donations from the Republic of Ireland to orange lodges.

Cashy money baby, spreading legs since the dawn of time.

Not saying thats a bad thing, buying off troublesome elements is a time honoured tradition everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A hater of Catholics and an inciter of the degenerate loyalist death squads that targeted Catholics for nothing other than they happened to be baptised in that faith.

A man with a phony doctorate and the head of a religious sect he spawned himself. Paisley appealed to the most primal feelings of baseless fear and paranoia among the fools who listened to him. Continuously denouncing the Pope but acting as if he himself were infallible.

In the end he became involved in a peace process that was already a storm born wave about to break on a beach - he just surfed it to the sand to collect the trophy in the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

You left out the best bit - he also saved Ulster from sodomy
    No he didn't he left that to iris Robinson ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A hater of Catholics and an inciter of the degenerate loyalist death squads that targeted Catholics for nothing other than they happened to be baptised in that faith.

A man with a phony doctorate and the head of a religious sect he spawned himself. Paisley appealed to the most primal feelings of baseless fear and paranoia among the fools who listened to him. Continuously denouncing the Pope but acting as if he himself were infallible.

In the end he became involved in a peace process that was already a storm born wave about to break on a beach - he just surfed it to the sand to collect the trophy in the sun.

But He is 85 years of age, He is in ill health.He stood for what he believed in and I would like to see him recover from this.

For such a brash and self confident man he must have some amount of insecurities to call himself Dr Paisley with his bogus award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ask any of his catholic constituents what he was like and they will tell you the opposite

realies wrote: »
    He stood for what he believed in

You can say that about pretty much any leader in the world

The KKK were god fearing men who stood for what they believed him
    I could keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I imagine the doctors were surprised to learn he even had a heart.

He dealt in hate when hate was easy, and he dealt in peace when he had no other choice.

Don't get that **** twisted folks.

You can say that about pretty much any leader in the world

The KKK were god fearing men who stood for what they believed him
    I could keep going.

When you start editing a part of my post and take out a part of it you can keep going.

• Advertisement

But He is 85 years of age
    So what?
    He is in ill health.
    Fair enough; he won't be reading this thread so.
    He stood for what he believed in
    If your belief system defies logic, and manifestly divides a people by turning them on each other, or by un-necessarily aggravating and opening old wounds, then 'standing up for what you believe in' ceases to be an honourable pursuit.
    and I would like to see him recover from this.
    I don't think anyone is (openly) wishing him demise, but it ought to be recalled there were victims of his incendiary hatred who died much more painful and vicious deaths than that which Mr Paisley will endure whenever he slips away in the tranquility of a hospital room, as an old man surrounded by his family.

Lots of Northern Irish families (on all sides of the community) were deprived of that sort of death. Their departure from life was in the more tragic cases, the random, blood stained penalty that one pays for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

When you start editing a part of my post and take out a part of it you can keep going.

I didn't misquote and your post was a one liner, nothing complicated there

You make it seem like I twisted your post around, I didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ask any of his catholic constituents what he was like and they will tell you the opposite

Even if true I'm sure there are plenty of politicians, Paisley included, who are amicable with people they internally despise - a requirement for the job I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He only mellowed when he realised that people down here hated the Catholic church more than he did.

later10 wrote: »
    So what?

Fair enough; he won't be reading this thread so.

If your belief system defies logic, and manifestly divides a people by turning them on each other, or by unnecessarily aggravating and opening old wounds, then 'standing up for what you believe in' ceases to be an honourable pursuit.

I don't think anyone is (openly) wishing him demise, but it ought to be recalled there were victims of his incendiary hatred who died much more painful and vicious deaths than that which Mr Paisley will endure whenever he slips away in the tranquility of a hospital room, as an old man surrounded by his family.

Lots of Northern Irish families (on all sides of the community) were deprived of that sort of death. Their departure from life was in the more tragic cases, the random, blood stained penalty that one pays for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The man is in ill health and I would hope he recovers is there something wrong with saying that ? and I know all about Irish families and not just Northen not having living a long life that he has. My family being one of them. He helped bring peace to this Island and as well as being denounced for his many war like tantrums he should imo be also given credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

+1
    When he shuffles off his mortal coil, I wish he could come back and tell the rest of his brethren that it's all just a hill of beans (Lidl beans at that) :rolleyes:
    Self appointed moralist,and unfortunately dangerous twat. Bigots will always hide out in cult religions and I think he may have realised that in his later years and tried to make amends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

A nasty bigot with a lot of blood on his hands. Boo hoo.

I didn't misquote and your post was a one liner, nothing complicated there

You make it seem like I twisted your post around, I didn't

If my post was a oneliner why dident you quote it in full ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Time for some Paisley quotes?

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley
    http://thinkexist.com/quotes/ian_paisley/
    http://www.allgreatquotes.com/ian_paisley_quotes.shtml
    After a loyalist rally in 1968, Ian Paisley commented on the burning of Catholic homes by claiming: "Catholic homes caught fire because they were loaded with petrol bombs; Catholic churches were attacked and burned because they were arsenals and priests handed out sub-machine guns to parishioners"; he also said the massive discrimination in employment and allocation of public housing for Catholics existed because "they breed like rabbits and multiply like vermin"

I think there is a quote somewhere back in the 60's when he said when he dies, he will come back as a "saviour of the Protestant people". An utter nutjob who had a big hand in inspiring many killings from the Loyalist side.

• Advertisement

Health, age, recover

I didn't want to reply on those parts, they were all covered in the first two pages

I picked the part that caught my attention and was different

Advertisement