Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

volvo 740's

• 06-02-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi everyone

was looking at a few volvo 740's online and im kinda tempted by them.

any info on these cars??

are they good, reliable??

anyone have any experience with one of these cars??

1985-1989_Volvo_740_GL_sedan_2011-01-12.jpg

thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The banger boys love them so they will be as tough as you will get. Should be easy to pick up a cheap one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surprisingly cramped behind the wheel if you are tall when I've been in one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

twincam77 wrote: »
    are they good, reliable??

They're boxy, but they're good :D

crazy-people-volvo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

t-shirt-back-resized.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Hope you find a nice one. I always loved the 740 and if I could drive it'd be high on my want list also. They're lovely cars. I like the whole angular look and amn't really taken at all with the newer volvos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

I've had a couple of them. They are boxy but good.
    If handling and roadholding is your thing, the 740 won't be.
    They like fuel. Mechanically and bodily they are strong in my experience.

A W124 series Mercedes will feel an all round better car but if you fancy a stint in a Volvo then buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

I have a 740 turbo estate (auto), 1990.

Comfortable wafter, great cruiser. As already said, if you want to go around bends quickly you better have your sea legs. Picks up its skirt though when the loud pedal is pressed...and 25mpg day-in, day-out. Low 30's on a run.

Lots of character, really of it's time and an old school Volvo. Huge space of course, 2.1m long sofa bed is my record so far.. Reliable but one of the reasons I went for one (following an E34 touring) was that a hammer will generally fix things if it goes wrong, not a multimeter.

The comparison to the W124 is valid I think. I had an E300 Diesel estate - it strikes me that Volvo tried to do a W124 with the 740/760's but with a smaller budget. You can tell with the inferior material quality, 'looser' build - not that hewn from granite feel the Merc had (has!).

Good car though, the 740. The type that you'd be happy to hang onto until it becomes part of the family...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I drove a 940 estate for years, cheapest car to run i ever owned. Servicing was too easy, all that room under the bonnet. Mine was a 2.0 and had enough poke. simple to park due to the flat back, turns on a sixpence. Would have another in a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭mountain

the model turned 30 this year,

here is a link to the official volvo press release.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/releases/2012/760_turns_30.shtml

Advertisement