Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reduced Septic Tank Charge

• 06-02-2012 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0206/breaking50.html

I wonder is it just a ploy to get us all registered early and then they'll hit us with a Eur100 charge next year?

I heard the minister say in his interview that only 20% of tanks will be inspected. He said something about tanks in areas of high priority - I wonder will this be areas where groundwater test results have come back as contaminated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

I'd say the no. of tanks inspected will be a direct function of how cash-strapped the council are.

He was quoted as saying
    "This legislation has been deliberately framed to minimise the impact on householders who can be assured that if their systems are working properly and are being maintained the impact of the new system will be minor".

I'd love to know what he means by minor. Sounds like he's hiding somethin. Surely if you had a good system up and running the impact of the new system should be nada (bar the charge)?
    Wouldn't trust that lad as far as I could throw him, one thing's for sure he won't buy me for a fiver ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

looks like rain water, waste water from washing machines, sinks etc will av to go into septic tanks, no soakways for rain water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Sounds like a panic measure as no one is rushing to sign up.

No one has been written to informing that they must register. It has just been a media campaign so far. So as far as I am concerned, I haven't heard about this tax officially yet..

Similar story for the household tax. This requirement hasn't been notified.. Now i know ignorance is not a defence, but neither is shoddy governance accepatable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Figerty wrote: »
    Sounds like a panic measure as no one is rushing to sign up.

No one has been written to informing that they must register. It has just been a media campaign so far. So as far as I am concerned, I haven't heard about this tax officially yet..

Similar story for the household tax. This requirement hasn't been notified.. Now i know ignorance is not a defence, but neither is shoddy governance accepatable.

And sure when the letter does come, we can use it for wipin and then flush it to where it belongs...........:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

warfie35 wrote: »
    looks like rain water, waste water from washing machines, sinks etc will av to go into septic tanks, no soakways for rain water

Surely rainwater will not have to go to the septic tank:eek::eek: . Grey water probably, but it would be crazy to put rain water through the tank. Then again, with the lunatics in charge of the asylum, anything is possible.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

warfie35 wrote: »
    Rainwater can't go into a septic tank... The volume would just be too much for any system to handle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I understand that waste water from washing machines, dish washers, sinks and showers is a lot more harmful to the environment than human waste because of the chemicals so it shouldn't be piped to a drain. It should flow into a soak pit or if its a recently built house, it should flow to the septic tank. A properly built soak pit is as effective as a septic tank so there should be no reason why it won't be acceptible under the new rules if it has been working properly for the last 20 years.

Rain water is required under planning to be piped to the nearest water course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

About bloody time septic tanks were inspected and condemed where necessary. They are causing serious pollution and I taught farmers for one would be welcoming such measures. I have spent an absolute fortune in storage and yards so that not one drop of soiled water is deposited into ground water. FFS come on. Local Council implement rules on farmyards with an iron fist about time, septic tanks were monitored. Who in there right mind thinks that a soak pit is acceptable in this day and age. basically just piping polluted water straight into groundwater. I hope polluters are made to suffer. Rank over :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

reilig wrote: »

I wonder is it just a ploy to get us all registered early and then they'll hit us with a Eur100 charge next year?

I heard the minister say in his interview that only 20% of tanks will be inspected. He said something about tanks in areas of high priority - I wonder will this be areas where groundwater test results have come back as contaminated?

The requirement for registration for owners of small septic tanks is no longer compulsory and is under review by the UK Govt:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...re/118753.aspx

I thought Dr. Phil had claimed that the requirement was as a result of an EU water directive.

It may be worth keeping an eye on our closer European partners on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Think you mean 'Rant' Bob...

Control of farm yard is important, I haven't heard of too many fish kills lately and that it is a very good thing.

But the septic tank issue is more of a reflection of Phil Hogans inability to put a consistent coherant argument together. He was on the radio this morning and doing more flips than a trapeeze artist.

I know this is a hang over from the previous governments failure to deal with it. But he doesn't inspire any confidence that he will stick to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

the goverment is skint and will get money out of us one way or another , tbh , i think its silly how rural dwellers are so sensitive about particular measures being signalled out for taxing , it seems that they are more insulted by the suggestion that they are polluting than the actual charge , the whole exercise is about bringing in money , the enviroment is secondary , they could have put a 100 euro charge on eating dinner in the middle of the day and the revenue would be just as happy

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the goverment is skint and will get money out of us one way or another , tbh , i think its silly how rural dwellers are so sensitive about particular measures being signalled out for taxing , it seems that they are more insulted by the suggestion that they are polluting than the actual charge , the whole exercise is about bringing in money , the enviroment is secondary , they could have put a 100 euro charge on eating dinner in the middle of the day and the revenue would be just as happy

The pot of general taxation, into which rural and urban dwellers alike contribute, pays for the sewer systems and waste treatment plants to manage, the fertilizer produced in leafy Foxrock, Ballsbridge and every other serviced town in the country.
    On the other hand, we in the country have to construct our own systems at our own expense. Now we have to pay en extra tax on top;)

Fcukk that for a game of soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

And on top of the charge if your tank fails the inspection you will literrally have to spend thousands fixing it - with no grant scheme set up or confirmed.

I think it is the fear of failing the inspection that is the biggest problem, combined with the "townies" not having to spend a cent to get their s##t sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

council sewerage system goes through our land, not far from our house, what would be the chances of me getting connected? i know they are not taking on any new houses as its at its capacity but it is going through our land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Tora Bora wrote: »
    The pot of general taxation, into which rural and urban dwellers alike contribute, pays for the sewer systems and waste treatment plants to manage, the fertilizer produced in leafy Foxrock, Ballsbridge and every other serviced town in the country.
    On the other hand, we in the country have to construct our own systems at our own expense.

That will change when the watercharges come in. Urban dwellers will be paying for the treatment of an equivalent amount of wastewater as what comes through their meter in clean water.

On the other hand, we in the country have to construct our own systems at our own expense. Now we have to pay en extra tax on top;)

you miss my point , the septic tanks are irrelevant , the goverment have decided its too unpoular to simply raise taxes by another 1% or cut public sector wages so instead they conjure up theese mickey mouse charges on everything from septic tanks to who knows what , it all goes into the same pot at the end of the day

Tipp Man wrote: »
    And on top of the charge if your tank fails the inspection you will literrally have to spend thousands fixing it - with no grant scheme set up or confirmed.

I think it is the fear of failing the inspection that is the biggest problem, combined with the "townies" not having to spend a cent to get their s##t sorted

if your tank is not working properly , you can hardly complain if your asked to repair it , ive no doubt that a large percentage of tanks out there are dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I understand that waste water from washing machines, dish washers, sinks and showers is a lot more harmful to the environment than human waste because of the chemicals so it shouldn't be piped to a drain. It should flow into a soak pit or if its a recently built house, it should flow to the septic tank. A properly built soak pit is as effective as a septic tank so there should be no reason why it won't be acceptible under the new rules if it has been working properly for the last 20 years.

Was listening to an engineer on Pat Kenny this morning and he claimed that neither a soak pit or ordinary septic tank is capable of handling washing machine/dishwasher waste, hope he wasn't a public service engineer

if your tank is not working properly , you can hardly complain if your asked to repair it , ive no doubt that a large percentage of tanks out there are dodgy

My tank is the old concrete figure of eight, and most likely it is not working to modern standards.
    Even worse, in my area, pretty much all the people who have the new bio systems of different makes and models, are saying they are really not much better than the old systems. Those systems cosst a bomb to install, and have to have an annual maintenance contract with the manufacturers, and many don't do what it says on the tin.

Cavan CoCo have been carrying out inspections on tanks for years. The old block built tanks have been passing their inspections no problem. Soak pits have been acceptable.

They have inspected over 4000 tanks and less than 5% of tanks failed - a lot of these were new tanks that weren't installed properly.

The biggest fail point was if your tank wasn't desludged every 3 or 4 years (Costing no more than €100).

Other fail points were tanks with no percolation - the outflow tank flowed directly to a watercourse. These people had to install a new percolation area costing a few hundred euro. In fairness, isn't it great that thesepeople have had to do this instead of letting unpercolated sewerage flow directly into the watercourse?

Block , fiberglass, pvc and precast tanks all passed the test. The only reason that a person had to replace a tank was if that tank was leaking sewerage directly into the ground through a crack.

Reading more about it today, i think that if I can register for €5 and have to pay nothing else, I won't have too much to worry about. I know that my own septic tank is installed properly and that it has a proper percolation area (I did it myself) and that it isn't polluting my land where it is located. I'm confident it would pass the test.

If you know that your tank is leaking or improperly installed then you will probably fail. But test or no test, if you are currently polluting the ground around your septic tank, you need to do something about it because you are poisoning yourself and your neighbours!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Is the registration fee of €5 a one-off fee or is it annual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Why should you register? the government know your house and tank is there and exactly where it is and if it has a percolation area, because of planning and because it shows up on on-line satalite free applications avaliable to all .............so why register unless it is some kind of dodgy one sided contract?

The argument isnt about pollution because no one wants that and fully understands it.

Is just about unfairly imposing an unfair tax on one part of the population? .... more to it i think.

Raising income tax is a fairer way of doing this with no arguments if the gorvenment needs money but they wont do it because ...."people will not accept it"?..... I doubt that is the reason because the government will do that anyway if it was going to create all those jobs as they say and probably will do it later.

Is the registration more of a legal way to access your property for other charges?...... house tax? ..... other buildings tax?....site tax?.......water tax?.......etc etc

My tank is the old concrete figure of eight, and most likely it is not working to modern standards.
    Even worse, in my area, pretty much all the people who have the new bio systems of different makes and models, are saying they are really not much better than the old systems. Those systems cosst a bomb to install, and have to have an annual maintenance contract with the manufacturers, and many don't do what it says on the tin.

i have one of those bio-cycle tanks , thier a gimick and no better than the old ones , as for maintenance contracts , couldnt tell you , the crowd i bought off when out of business within a month and i never seen anyone around looking at it in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

fodda wrote: »
    Why should you register? the government know your house and tank is there and exactly where it is and if it has a percolation area, because of planning and because it shows up on on-line satalite free applications avaliable to all .............so why register unless it is some kind of dodgy one sided contract?

The argument isnt about pollution because no one wants that and fully understands it.

Is just about unfairly imposing an unfair tax on one part of the population? .... more to it i think.

Raising income tax is a fairer way of doing this with no arguments if the gorvenment needs money but they wont do it because ...."people will not accept it"?..... I doubt that is the reason because the government will do that anyway if it was going to create all those jobs as they say and probably will do it later.

Is the registration more of a legal way to access your property for other charges?...... house tax? ..... other buildings tax?....site tax?.......water tax?.......etc etc

Agree with you 100%. People voted in the current Government whose objective is to protect the pay of the public sector at all costs. For those of you out there making a modest living from farming have a look at http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/susan-lynch-i-refuse-to-be-pushed-out-of-health-service-3005705.html
    Read em and weep!
    The wages/pensions/entitlements of even the lower reaches of the public sector really put it into perspective and they are still whinging!
    This is why Ireland is broke and is now proposing charging people to use their own toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

i have one of those bio-cycle tanks , thier a gimick and no better than the old ones , as for maintenance contracts , couldnt tell you , the crowd i bought off when out of business within a month and i never seen anyone around looking at it in years

Totally agree. An absolute gimmik, and nothing more. Along with all the other gimmiks, of recent years. The "passive" house:rolleyes:
    These things, are designed for one primary purpose .............. to bleed the punter:mad: Every time I Duncan Stewart on TV, I want to pelt my wellie at him, crapping on about all this nonsence.

Sure all of these are on the cards even if you don't register your septic tank.
    If you own a house,you have to pay €100 for a household charge. You don't have to register for that. They'll get your address from your utility bills. This €100 will be an unstopable tax - every year they'll add €100 to it. It's probably the most unfair tax ever - it takes no account of the value of your house, of your mortgage size or of your income.

By 2013 we'll all have to pay a flat rate water charge which they recon will be €100 also. You won't have to register for this either. Some of us already have metered water - Ours costs €600 a year.

Register for the septic tank charge or not, you'll still have these other charges. the registration charge for the septic tanks is to recoup some of the costs of inspecting the tank. Registration also legally links you to your tank so that if your tank is faulty and leaks causing an ecoli breakout in half your parish, you will be legally responsible for it.

Agree with you 100%. People voted in the current Government whose objective is to protect the pay of the public sector at all costs. For those of you out there making a modest living from farming have a look at http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/susan-lynch-i-refuse-to-be-pushed-out-of-health-service-3005705.html
    Read em and weep!
    The wages/pensions/entitlements of even the lower reaches of the public sector really put it into perspective and they are still whinging!
    This is why Ireland is broke and is now proposing charging people to use their own toilet.

Yes and i also agree with you but add our political elites wages and expenses are over the top. But i do think nurses and doctors should get good wages above any other public employee.

There is nothing wrong with the council coming and testing your tank whenever they are in the area by knocking at your door or by appointment............You going along to them and registering/signing for this is very fishy unless someone has all the small print for us to read and exactly what it could mean.

Sure all of these are on the cards even if you don't register your septic tank.
    If you own a house,you have to pay €100 for a household charge. You don't have to register for that. They'll get your address from your utility bills. This €100 will be an unstopable tax - every year they'll add €100 to it. It's probably the most unfair tax ever - it takes no account of the value of your house, of your mortgage size or of your income.

By 2013 we'll all have to pay a flat rate water charge which they recon will be €100 also. You won't have to register for this either. Some of us already have metered water - Ours costs €600 a year.

Register for the septic tank charge or not, you'll still have these other charges. the registration charge for the septic tanks is to recoup some of the costs of inspecting the tank. Registration also legally links you to your tank so that if your tank is faulty and leaks causing an ecoli breakout in half your parish, you will be legally responsible for it.

I know about other taxes and arent argueing.....my gripe is charging people a water charge if they have their own wells.

Registering legally binds you to your faulty tank?..........Come on.....the fact it is on your property connected to your bog is probably more binding than a piece of paper, besides if they wanted to get awkward they could link your DNA to the turds in there:D

If we havent got to sign to be charged for other taxes then why this registration?........doesnt make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I know about other taxes and arent argueing.....my gripe is charging people a water charge if they have their own wells.

I think this is off the Agenda.

http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/well-owners-evade-threat-of-water-levies-2977589.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

My understanding is that grey water will not be allowed directly into soak pits under the new proposals? In our own situation, we dont live near any well or watercourse, the water supply is mains and septic tank is fig 8 old type. We put in a new (huge) soak pit 6 years ago which takes ALL water including the run off from second part of the septic tank. All is working fine with the past 6 years.

Yes and i also agree with you but add our political elites wages and expenses are over the top. But i do think nurses and doctors should get good wages above any other public employee.

There is nothing wrong with the council coming and testing your tank whenever they are in the area by knocking at your door or by appointment............You going along to them and registering/signing for this is very fishy unless someone has all the small print for us to read and exactly what it could mean.

if nurses averaged 200 k per head per year , people would say they were worth more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

TG someone else see's this tactic as the blatent trap to get everyone to sign up, so they know who you are and where you and who knows what the future holds ?? ie what costs lie ahead ??.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The "passive" house:rolleyes:

I don't agree that they're a gimmick as long as they're built right.
    Every time I Duncan Stewart on TV, I want to pelt my wellie at him

That I do agree with :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

Cavan CoCo have been carrying out inspections on tanks for years. The old block built tanks have been passing their inspections no problem. Soak pits have been acceptable.

They have inspected over 4000 tanks and less than 5% of tanks failed - a lot of these were new tanks that weren't installed properly.

The biggest fail point was if your tank wasn't desludged every 3 or 4 years (Costing no more than €100).

Other fail points were tanks with no percolation - the outflow tank flowed directly to a watercourse. These people had to install a new percolation area costing a few hundred euro. In fairness, isn't it great that thesepeople have had to do this instead of letting unpercolated sewerage flow directly into the watercourse?

Block , fiberglass, pvc and precast tanks all passed the test. The only reason that a person had to replace a tank was if that tank was leaking sewerage directly into the ground through a crack.

Reading more about it today, i think that if I can register for €5 and have to pay nothing else, I won't have too much to worry about. I know that my own septic tank is installed properly and that it has a proper percolation area (I did it myself) and that it isn't polluting my land where it is located. I'm confident it would pass the test.

If you know that your tank is leaking or improperly installed then you will probably fail. But test or no test, if you are currently polluting the ground around your septic tank, you need to do something about it because you are poisoning yourself and your neighbours!!
    why would u empty it every 4 year
    if a septic tank is working right u should never have to empty it
    the water runs through it out to the perc area and the solids setel to the bottom of the tank and get eaten by the bacteria
    my tank is in 10 year never had to empty it . i put in a dead rabbit every now and then to get the worms going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You left out a 20%.
    25% of septic tanks in Cavan did not come up to standard.
    That's what's ahead of ye folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

I read the article from the Cavan County Engineer 2 weeks ago in The Farmers Journal. He clarified that the scheme in Cavan was voluntary whereby people rang the Council and asked to have their tank inspected. The Council gave them a list of suitable qualified persons to carry out the inspection. 3500 tanks out of approx. 11500 were inspected with an 11% failure rate.

I would assume from this that if inspections were compulsory the failure rate will be a lot higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

all my rain water goes into a drain, iv a fig 8 tank with a run off concrete section, the washing machine and dish washer run past this and join up to go in the soak drains, its in my lawn there is no smell and i aint changing it ,granted i prob am sound, even if jesus himself appears and asks me id run him to, i finished house in 08, as if the dicks dont know the house is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Is the registration fee of €5 a one-off fee or is it annual?
    The 5 euro is a once off early registration charge for the first 3 months. After that it is 50 euro. Iirc, from an interview on Today FM last year with Phil Hogan, it is a once every 5 years or so.

I just dont see why my general taxation charge is going to subsidise for urban sewage treatment but urban taxation cannot be used to subsidise rural sewage treatment. Pretty much the same idealogy that says rural taxation could be used to pay for urban broadband and water supply but fcuk off if you think urban tax should subsidise rural services.

In short, we are all equal but some of us are more equal than others:mad:

I'd be cautious about making the general taxation statement. There's a lot that can be thrown back at that, roads for example.

johngalway wrote: »
    I'd be cautious about making the general taxation statement. There's a lot that can be thrown back at that, roads for example.
    Roads????

We barely have dirt tracks not multi lane perfectly straight surfaced tarmac with well lit walkways and bridges for pedestrian crossing. You might remember a load of pigs drowned a while back not far from where regularly drive while crossing a badly signposted pontoon bridge. The pontoon bridge was decades past its best before date when it replaced the bridge that had no council maintainance for DECADES before being condemned. Only when there was loss of life (thankfully, only pigs luckily) was the necessary funding put in place to replace a bridge on an important local artery.

But maybe i am a subscriber to the Joe Rea 'trendy townhouses on the Dodder' viewpoint:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

i will have to install a new system as there is a crack in my old tank.im thinking of putting in a new standard septic tank this summer before inspections begin.will i get away with this or will they want a puroflow system costing thousands more.

thoughts please

i will have to install a new system as there is a crack in my old tank.im thinking of putting in a new standard septic tank this summer before inspections begin.will i get away with this or will they want a puroflow system costing thousands more.

thoughts please
    We have a treated syatem but we had to put it in due to percolation problems in the soakway area. If you have good percolation i would not imagine the need for anything other than a normal standard septic tank

5live wrote: »
    Roads????

We barely have dirt tracks not multi lane perfectly straight surfaced tarmac with well lit walkways and bridges for pedestrian crossing. You might remember a load of pigs drowned a while back not far from where regularly drive while crossing a badly signposted pontoon bridge. The pontoon bridge was decades past its best before date when it replaced the bridge that had no council maintainance for DECADES before being condemned. Only when there was loss of life (thankfully, only pigs luckily) was the necessary funding put in place to replace a bridge on an important local artery.

But maybe i am a subscriber to the Joe Rea 'trendy townhouses on the Dodder' viewpoint:P

Yep, roads, post offices, garda stations, schools, and various other things.

Better idea to focus on the issue at hand and have the facts right on that than try to broaden the argument and let in a whole other world of issues to argue over.

No one is going to give a sh1t about a lorry load of pigs, sorry, but it's the truth when it comes down to dealing with money in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Every time I Duncan Stewart on TV, I want to pelt my wellie at him, crapping on about all this nonsence.

Thank you for that. My first laugh of the day!

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

I think a little education re what people out down the drains might go a long way e.g. avoid biological detergents/cleaners and maybe get the tank emptied every couple of years. If we are to have regulation it needs to be uncomplicated and rein in the inspectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

they should go first and check the water coming from every sewage plant in all the towns that seen a surge in the number of houses built during the boom years , them old sewage plants would not now be able to cope the extra volume going through them and most of them were built near rivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

6480 wrote: »
    they should go first and check the water coming from every sewage plant in all the towns that seen a surge in the number of houses built during the boom years , them old sewage plants would not now be able to cope the extra volume going through them and most of them were built near rivers
    That's true. In my local town the town sewer is located right beside and above the river that flows through the town. It is located about 20ft above the level of the river and 150 yards from the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

But services in general to rural areas are a lot more expensive than to city dwellers and city dwellers pay a lot more tax. Example: 1 mile of road in foxrock has a few hundred tax payers living on it. 1 mile of road in the country has 5-10 tax payers living on it. Both require resurfacing. Who is the net beneficiary in this one? The rural dweller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Read em and weep!

Ssh, don't tell anybody about how well subsidised our sector is!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

just do it wrote: »
    But services in general to rural areas are a lot more expensive than to city dwellers and city dwellers pay a lot more tax. Example: 1 mile of road in foxrock has a few hundred tax payers living on it. 1 mile of road in the country has 5-10 tax payers living on it. Both require resurfacing. Who is the net beneficiary in this one? The rural dweller.

Ya but I bet the road in foxrock is not a through road, it only gets used by the locals, and how many of the foxrock residents are employed by the state. I don't think it really makes any difference where the services are being provided.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement