Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reduced Septic Tank Charge

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

just do it wrote: »
    But services in general to rural areas are a lot more expensive than to city dwellers and city dwellers pay a lot more tax. Example: 1 mile of road in foxrock has a few hundred tax payers living on it. 1 mile of road in the country has 5-10 tax payers living on it. Both require resurfacing. Who is the net beneficiary in this one? The rural dweller.

Road in Foxrock has
    1) good quality proper surfacing
    2) road gullies for adequate drainage
    3)footpaths
    4) public lighting

Rural road has
    1) bad surface full of pot holes, occasionaly get a double surface dressing (tar and chips)
    2) no real drainage, council occasionaly open drainage holes in verge
    3) no footpath
    4) no lighting

BTW i'm not trying to justify any of the above on a rural road, just highlighting the differences...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Correction.
    cjpm wrote: »
    Road in Foxrock has
    3)footpaths
    4) public lighting
    5) RTE executive in residence, paying a 100 Euro household tax while paddy in a one bedroom cottage in Mayo pays the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

blue5000 wrote: »
    And sure when the letter does come, we can use it for wipin and then flush it to where it belongs...........:cool:

Don't do that.

Write on the document NO CONTRACT and then send it back. If you don't do this you are consenting by your inaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

reilig wrote: »
    Sure all of these are on the cards even if you don't register your septic tank.
    If you own a house,you have to pay €100 for a household charge. You don't have to register for that. They'll get your address from your utility bills.

They cannot do this, Data Protection Act.

It is more likely they will use the register of electors, but this will only be effective in urban areas where houses are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

This is why i cant understand why they need you to register..........because they can already see everything anyway and soon in more detail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16545333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

mikom wrote: »
    Correction.
    cjpm wrote: »
    Road in Foxrock has
    3)footpaths
    4) public lighting
    5) RTE executive in residence, paying a 100 Euro household tax while paddy in a one bedroom cottage in Mayo pays the same
    So folks what has this recession caused only a lot of anger. Unfortunately this is causing a lot of divides in our society. First we've had the public sector vs private sector. Now I fear an urban vs rural split is developing. And who benefits? No one. The indo recently made a fairly despicable attempt to feed into the xenophobia that is out there.

In Ireland city residents subsidise country residents. City dwellers are net contributors and country dwellers are net recipients. This is fact. I don't know the exact sum but I think it us to the tune of €5,000.

33% of the work force are employed in the public or civil service. Regardless of wether you live in the country or city this holds true. Maybe your partner, brother, sister, parent or child is a teacher, nurse, garda etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

6480 wrote: »
    they should go first and check the water coming from every sewage plant in all the towns that seen a surge in the number of houses built during the boom years , them old sewage plants would not now be able to cope the extra volume going through them and most of them were built near rivers
    Perhaps they should consider a public sewage registration charge of, say 50 euro, maybe with an early registration charge of, say 5 euro. That should get the whole thing sorted straight away:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

5live wrote: »
    Perhaps they should consider a public sewage registration charge of, say 50 euro, maybe with an early registration charge of, say 5 euro. That should get the whole thing sorted straight away:D

Coming to an area near you soon:D I suppose that is already in the pipeline and just tinkling with the weakest link first before they go for the townies.

Also:-

Grow your own food tax......because the government is losing out on cash you are not spending in the shops.

Solar panel levi ..... because the ESB are not selling you more leccy.

A license to cut your own grass.....because you are costing the govenment money by taking jobs from people who are then forced to claim dole.

Annual walking licence for those who keep fit by walking on the road or pavement.

Bicycle road tax.....because the government is losing money as people switch from car to bikes.

And so on..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

johngalway wrote: »
    Yep, roads, post offices, garda stations, schools, and various other things.

Better idea to focus on the issue at hand and have the facts right on that than try to broaden the argument and let in a whole other world of issues to argue over.

No one is going to give a sh1t about a lorry load of pigs, sorry, but it's the truth when it comes down to dealing with money in this country.
    Ok then back on topic.

Would you agree that this charge is effectively double taxation, in that i have to pay for my own sewage treatment and upkeep and now registration where i also have to pay for public sewage treatment and upkeep as well?

I just cant see this charge working, John. Nobody knows what the inspection entails, what remedies will be required and what cost will be involved.
    I was talking to a neighbour this morning waiting to go to the local OAP dinner who was in bits because she fears she will be facing a 10k bill (admittedly, an opposition scare tactic but very very effective) for her tank if it doesnt pass. Now this ladies tank has a minimal load so it will probably pass but FFS it just isnt fair to put the fear of god into her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

5live wrote: »
    Ok then back on topic.

Would you agree that this charge is effectively double taxation, in that i have to pay for my own sewage treatment and upkeep and now registration where i also have to pay for public sewage treatment and upkeep as well?

I just cant see this charge working, John. Nobody knows what the inspection entails, what remedies will be required and what cost will be involved.
    I was talking to a neighbour this morning waiting to go to the local OAP dinner who was in bits because she fears she will be facing a 10k bill (admittedly, an opposition scare tactic but very very effective) for her tank if it doesnt pass. Now this ladies tank has a minimal load so it will probably pass but FFS it just isnt fair to put the fear of god into her.

I've no horse in this race 5live. I was putting forward what can be thrown back at people if they bring up certain things. It's well and good to argue the toss in a forum/room of like minded people, but it's an entirely different thing when that forum/room is mixed with people of a different and equally vocal view who also think they're right.

By bringing in double taxation you're just back to the roads issue again. Tax is a pool of public money that gets divvied out according to the views of them currently in office and the permanent Govt.

As always in any situation, and I've often been the one, hard cases make bad law.

This is Irish horse trading as it's always been, announcement ==> horror ==> compromise ==> resolution.

No one building a new house is getting a grant for their tank AFAIK, so why should anyone else. If it does happen, that's public money again, right back to roads...

If a treatment system isn't working then it needs fixing, I can't see anyone winning an argument against that.

There are a great many things in this life I disagree with. A lot of the pure ranting about things that is going on today is one of them. Everyone agrees the country is in a hard spot, but not many are willing to pull out the finger and fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

johngalway wrote: »
    I've no horse in this race 5live. I was putting forward what can be thrown back at people if they bring up certain things. It's well and good to argue the toss in a forum/room of like minded people, but it's an entirely different thing when that forum/room is mixed with people of a different and equally vocal view who also think they're right.

By bringing in double taxation you're just back to the roads issue again. Tax is a pool of public money that gets divvied out according to the views of them currently in office and the permanent Govt.

As always in any situation, and I've often been the one, hard cases make bad law.

This is Irish horse trading as it's always been, announcement ==> horror ==> compromise ==> resolution.

No one building a new house is getting a grant for their tank AFAIK, so why should anyone else. If it does happen, that's public money again, right back to roads...

If a treatment system isn't working then it needs fixing, I can't see anyone winning an argument against that.

There are a great many things in this life I disagree with. A lot of the pure ranting about things that is going on today is one of them. Everyone agrees the country is in a hard spot, but not many are willing to pull out the finger and fix it.

This is the real problem with this whole issue. People who installed a septic tank and percolation system as per the regulations at the time of construction do deserve a grant to bring the system up to date. The govt/EU can't change the rules as they go along and then expect the homeowner to upgrade their house to the current standard.

For instance what if the government/EU forced all existing homes to upgrade their house to the new insulation, heating requirements as per part L of the building regulations. They could use pollution/energy conservation as the basis for this. Then 95% of homes in the country (town,city,rural) would need to spend crazy money to bring their home up to the new standard.

Everyone is focusing too much on the actual septic tank, which is usually not the problem. The bigger problem will be for older homes that have percolation areas or soak pits that discharge to close to the ground water level. If there is a high water table then a raised percolation area (layers of sand and gravel) will be required and possibly an advanced septic tank sytem (PETU) which together could cost up to 10-15k.

Also once the inspection is done than any problem will have to be fixed, so any one on low incomes or soc welfare will probably have to be paid for by the state (city and rural taxpayers). This could be the best back to work scheme yet, especially for civil contractors and engineers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭granpa

ithink they should just put meters on rural toilets say icent for every flush
    that would get them all the money they need for the banks and ibet there woul be no
    more talk about polluation or water tables , im away to have a s--- granpa:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24320-farmer-comes-clean-his-diy-septic-tank-%E2%80%93-buried-cortina

I read this during the week and just found the link online..... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Has anyone paid the €5 septic tax charge - if so, how / where do you pay? Is there a site to just register? (found the household charge site, but nothing re septic tank charge)

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

To empty my own septic tank and bring it to the councils waste management works, do i need a permit? :o

I was thinking of turning my septic tank into just a holding tank :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

from Clare co co site
    Septic Tank Registration

Date issued: 17/02/12

The Council has received numerous queries regarding the registration and inspection process for septic tanks.

To date (17/02/12), the Council has received no official communication from the Department of Environment, Community & Local Government on this matter. Any information available to the Council at this time is also available to the public. The most up-to-date official information on this matter appears on the Departments own website at www.environ.ie

As soon as the Council receives official information on this matter, the public will be informed through local media and here on the Councils own website.

Page last updated: 17/02/12

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tvo

probably will register for the septic tank charge for a €5 but
    does anyone know what they are going to measure and how are they going to measure it and what standard is going to be acceptable. will they just carry out a visual inspection or are they going to measure the BOD of the effluent from the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Tvo, you are asking the questions that 1,000's of others - including Co Co's are asking.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ftnbase

tvo wrote: »
    does anyone know what they are going to measure and how are they going to measure it and what standard is going to be acceptable. will they just carry out a visual inspection or are they going to measure the BOD of the effluent from the tank.

These were published for consultation on www.environ.ie today - the deadline for comments from the public is towards the end of March.
    The link to the document is:
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Water/WaterServices/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,29546,en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nyc2011

does anyome know how do i pay this charge, is there a site online? thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

nyc2011 wrote: »
    does anyome know how do i pay this charge, is there a site online? thanks:)

Please deposit fee into the toilet and flush.
    Same result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

tvo wrote: »

When the nice lady from the dept arrives, she will take a sample from your tank. Then she will ask you to provide her, with a sample of your pooh, so she can compare the treated version to the untreated version. :cool:

Advertisement