Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork County Grants

• 06-02-2012 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey lads,

I'm waiting on my higher education grant at the moment. The first payment was delayed because some of my documentation from social welfare was insufficiently detailed. Eventually got everything in to the Higher Education Grants office in the County Hall in mid-December. Expecting the first two payments to come together any day now. Really struggling without it.

Rang the office to check up on the status of my grant about three weeks ago and they told me the second instalments were currently being released but they couldn't give me a specific date and I'd get an email when the money was going into my bank account. I've paid my capitation fee. Can't afford any of my college materials, bumming bus money from my pensioner parents. Anyone else in the same boat? Can you offer any insight into when I should expect it to come through?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 iceteabar

Same situation as yours. After providing all documentation to the County Hall in September I received a letter that payments could be delayed until March. As my friends one by one now started to receive their first payments I hope I`ll get it soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I was in there earlier today asking about it. I handed my stuff in in October and they said they were just assessing that batch at the moment.

I have a feeling it's going to take much longer, im struggling badly, being threatened with court by the credit union and all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pat9212

how much is the grant now that it have been cut in the budget ???

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thephantom1

its a total joke with the grants. think its after improving a bit now but for the last five years running there have been major delays. a lot of people sent letter to politicians and everything but it is still a poorly run system. i dont think they realise how financially strapped a lot of people getting grants are and that the delays actually pur people at threat of dropping out

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

I had the same problem. Don't bother ringing, it gets you nowhere! I went in to them and said I didn't have enough to eat (You really have to make it sound bad to get anywhere) The lady at the office said she would get her supervisor to look at it e.g. that had not even looked at it already and within 2 days I had the grant. Their times are from 9.30 to 12.30 Monday to Friday. If need be send them letters too. They don't have to reply to phone calls but they have to reply to letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 Arabella

When I was in First Year I had the same problems with my grant. It was April and I still had not received my first payment. I went to my local T.D's office and explained my situation to his secretary. She then rang the Council on my behalf. I had my grant the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JassC

I'm in exactly the same boat as you ! I was missing documentation ! anytime I ring I only get an answering machine so I can't get in contact! I've tried e-mailing and the only answer I get back is we cant provide any information on the status of your grant !!! so pointless ringing them or e-mailing them !!!

Advertisement