Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Fibre Power Broadband Extreme

• 06-02-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭

I got home to a letter from UPC this evening saying that I'd gone over their cap last month and they were shifting me to the Fibre Power Broadband Extreme 30 MB. it's €20 more expensive but the letter says its more suitable to my needs. I'd assume in that case that there's an unlimited download limit or a much higher cap included. I can't find details of the plan on their website. Anyone got further information?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

squonk wrote: »
    I got home to a letter from UPC this evening saying that I'd gone over their cap last month and they were shifting me to the Fibre Power Broadband Extreme 30 MB. it's €20 more expensive but the letter says its more suitable to my needs. I'd assume in that case that there's an unlimited download limit or a much higher cap included. I can't find details of the plan on their website. Anyone got further information?

Down assume anything. Ring them and ask them what the allowance is.

As a matter of interest did you get any warning from them prior to this letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭squonk

dub45 wrote: »
    Down assume anything. Ring them and ask them what the allowance is.

As a matter of interest did you get any warning from them prior to this letter?

I wasn't assuming really but wanted to find out the views of others who may have had the same xperience.

I received one prior letter. The problem is that if you're a heavy user it's tough to monitor your usage without any online tools. When I was with VF they did have a monthly usage counter. I have no intention of altering my usage pattern so I'll have to ring tomorrow. Their customer service closes at six :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

apparently (going by anecdotal evidence on the forums) the allowance is supposed to be double the old allowance, but i don't know if that still holds true since they now give everyone 500gb anyway.

personally i'd be ringing them and complaining that without them supplying you with a usage monitor you have no way of monitoring your usage or even verifying that they are even accurately monitoring it themselves.

they've been promising us usage monitoring for years (since i joined in 2008 at least) and it was always 'just around the corner', but i think the simple fact is, they prefer to punish the small minority that go over when everyone who doesn't have a way of monitoring their usage is likely to be hedging their bets conservatively regarding their usage, than being faced with everyone seeing the 500gb cap as a target.

quite a few of us are using our own routers with bandwidth monitoring built in to keep an accurate record of what we're using. having to be double NAT'd behind the UPC router is a bit of a bummer, but it's not the end of the world and you get much better features with fancy 3rd party firmwares like Tomato & DD-WRT. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    apparently (going by anecdotal evidence on the forums) the allowance is supposed to be double the old allowance, but i don't know if that still holds true since they now give everyone 500gb anyway.

personally i'd be ringing them and complaining that without them supplying you with a usage monitor you have no way of monitoring your usage or even verifying that they are even accurately monitoring it themselves.

they've been promising us usage monitoring for years (since i joined in 2008 at least) and it was always 'just around the corner', but i think the simple fact is, they prefer to punish the small minority that go over when everyone who doesn't have a way of monitoring their usage is likely to be hedging their bets conservatively regarding their usage, than being faced with everyone seeing the 500gb cap as a target.

quite a few of us are using our own routers with bandwidth monitoring built in to keep an accurate record of what we're using. having to be double NAT'd behind the UPC router is a bit of a bummer, but it's not the end of the world and you get much better features with fancy 3rd party firmwares like Tomato & DD-WRT. :)

If its double I can live with... But I'll definitely be complaining. I've a feeling their estimation is accurate enough but being shuffled onto a non-specific plan isn't good. Buy using the term 'suitable to my needs' the implication is that there's more cap. I guess they don't want people using the cap as a target to hit but I'm a high bandwidth user, always was, always will be. They really need to get a user accessible usage tracker going. As is anyway their higher speed plans should have a higher cap than 500Gb!

I've been in touch with UPC and I can confirm that the Broadband Extreme package imposes a new cap of 1000Gb p/m.

It seems that if usage drops below the 500Gb normal usage allowance that they will roll back the package to the original customer selection.

I'm pretty happy with that reply. 1000Gb should keep me happy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement