Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford article in Aer Lingus magazine

Options
  • 06-02-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

There's a pretty good article on the restaurants, towns and B&Bs etc. in Waterford in the Feb/Mar issue of the Aer Lingus in-flight magazine in case anyone's on a flight in the near future.

There's even a picture of John de B from Downes in it and he's smiling!

SSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Flying to Germany in the morning, I'll check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

We're on the front cover yea... it's available here if anyone can dig it out, and maybe post a screen shot, me oul lamps ain't as good as they used to be:D

http://issuu.com/caraaugust/docs/cara_feb-march

Cover:

AERLINGUS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

there ya go

page48.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

http://issuu.com/beazee/docs/waterford_at_cara_feb_mar_2012

3.4 MB snippet featuring Waterford (9 pages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

why dont they run flights here if they love us so much, put their money where their mouth is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

AerArann have a franchise agreement with Aer Lingus..Its AerArann operating their own aircraft in Aer Lingus colours, called AerLingus regional, and to the untrained or uninterested eye there is no difference. They started this about 2 years ago and run alot of these services from Cork and Shannon to the Uk regions. This will be extended to Waterford from June i believe. Though no official announcement has been made on this yet the aircraft are being refurbished and painted in AerLingus colours as we speak.

It would be another great boost to the airport following on from the Flybe annoucement last month on the new daily Birmingham service.

they have no inerest in waterford airport. as soon as the livery is changed to aerlingus colours aer arann will move their operations to the aer lingus routes. Aer arann/Aer Lingus regional is only at Cork/Dub/Shannon... all aer aranns other routes are exclusively aer arann, aer lingus has nothing to do with waterford

Aer arann/Aer Lingus regional is only at Cork/Dub/Shannon... all aer aranns other routes are exclusively aer arann, aer lingus has nothing to do with waterford

Yes..as it stands. But as you will see if you bothered to read my post correctly i did state that.. A -
    from June
    B -
    no official announcement has been made on this yet
    and C
    i believe

sorry only dealing in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

sorry only dealing in fact.

Well "as soon as the livery is changed to aerlingus colours aer arann will move their operations to the aer lingus routes. Aer arann/Aer Lingus regional is only at Cork/Dub/Shannon"

The above is not fact....

Aer Arann will announce their summer schedule at the end of the month which will include additional routes under the EIR franchise agreement. Waterford routes will come under this announcement with all Waterford flights bookable only on aerlingus.com

I see an EIR ATR42 aircraft operated the London services from Waterford today and looks smart in the EI colours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Yes..as it stands. But as you will see if you bothered to read my post correctly i did state that.. A - B - and C
    bit of a smart arse aint ya!!!!

bit of a smart arse aint ya!!!!

Yeah...but i'd swop it all for 17 inch arms!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Well if we're dealing in facts only... n obody knows anything, neither the Airport nor Aer Arrann know where it is going , I have asked people on the inside of each .
    But watching what AA are doing or rather not doing with Waterford including letting a competitor in to take a route they built up, the signs are not good.

air2000 wrote: »
    Aer Arann will announce their summer schedule at the end of the month which will include additional routes under the EIR franchise agreement. Waterford routes will come under this announcement with all Waterford flights bookable only on aerlingus.com

do you have a link or is it all hear'say, also if the aerarann ran the waterford london route recenlty in aer lingus regional livery it may have something to do with aer aranns plane shortage at the moment

they have no inerest in waterford airport. as soon as the livery is changed to aerlingus colours aer arann will move their operations to the aer lingus routes

As your only dealing in fact.."Have you a link"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Just read the piece on a plane - that article seems out of date! Mentions Rockets of the Metalman for traditional food which has been closed since last June for example!!

However, nice to see some coverage and the bonus of Johnny De B smiling!!!! :)

Teebor15 wrote: »
    AerArann have a franchise agreement with Aer Lingus..Its AerArann operating their own aircraft in Aer Lingus colours, called AerLingus regional, and to the untrained or uninterested eye there is no difference. They started this about 2 years ago and run alot of these services from Cork and Shannon to the Uk regions. This will be extended to Waterford from June i believe. Though no official announcement has been made on this yet the aircraft are being refurbished and painted in AerLingus colours as we speak.

It would be another great boost to the airport following on from the Flybe annoucement last month on the new daily Birmingham service.

One of the ATR 42's landed back in Dublin last week after a repaint in the AA white livery, but a grey underbelly? Awaiting an anouncement?, if The police will allow me speculate?

do you have a link or is it all hear'say, also if the aerarann ran the waterford london route recenlty in aer lingus regional livery it may have something to do with aer aranns plane shortage at the moment

A link????????? can you show me a link to the resurection to prove that?, do you really believe the world is on the tinternet, there is such a thing as gossip, people in the know, people who overhear things, once it is clarified that it is an opinion, I see no harm in a bit of chat, once it does not harm, libel, etc anyone.

Im sure we'll find out after june whose right or wrong in that case.

Also no harm in me looking for a link, Im sure there a websites, articles etc about this if the lads are so confident of this announcement. a quick google dosen't bring up anything about it so I thought they could direct me to where I could read about this "anticipated" move

Sorry for upsetting you WB2

Im sure we'll find out after june whose right or wrong in that case.

Also no harm in me looking for a link, Im sure there a websites, articles etc about this if the lads are so confident of this announcement. a quick google dosen't bring up anything about it so I thought they could direct me to where I could read about this "anticipated" move

Sorry for upsetting you WB2
    Its my wifes job to upset me, you did not, but you were a wee bit harsh on the poster, and I happen to have a little inside knowledge and there is some truth in what he says.tks anyway

• Advertisement

This was announced yesterday..great news..can only be good news and hopefully will help grow passenger figures, routes and frequencies!

http://www.flywaterford.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=236&Itemid=200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Waterford is now on aerlingus.com!

If Waterford can get a runway extension, and with it package flights to sun locations, I think the airport will be secure and heading in the direction of Knock. Because, while this is a great move, and will almost certainly increase bookings, just by virtue of being on the Aer Lingus site, Waterford is transiting from being what was one of the stronger locations on the Aer Arann network to the weakest location on the Aer Lingus network. So the next few years will probably be **** or bust. I think the airport can be very profitable, but it needs a few breaks to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

merlante wrote: »
    Waterford is now on aerlingus.com!

If Waterford can get a runway extension, and with it package flights to sun locations, I think the airport will be secure and heading in the direction of Knock. Because, while this is a great move, and will almost certainly increase bookings, just by virtue of being on the Aer Lingus site, Waterford is transiting from being what was one of the stronger locations on the Aer Arann network to the weakest location on the Aer Lingus network. So the next few years will probably be **** or bust. I think the airport can be very profitable, but it needs a few breaks to get there.

It needs as a runway extension simple as , I still fly from Cork or Dublin as it still works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Showing on the Aer Lingus means nothing really, its the same timetables as before, no extra routes. It is great to be on it for sure, but it doesnt change the fact its only Southend, luton , BHX and Manchester..

Need one or two new routes, the runway extension in the current climate is a non starter...

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

savic04 wrote: »
    Showing on the Aer Lingus means nothing really, its the same timetables as before, no extra routes. It is great to be on it for sure, but it doesnt change the fact its only Southend, luton , BHX and Manchester..

Need one or two new routes, the runway extension in the current climate is a non starter...

All though its probably great and welcome news for the airport, It hurts the pockets of the ordinary traveller, for example there is now an optional seat selection fee, baggage fee has increased from €10 each way to €15 each way and there is now a handling fee (and it looks like fares are slightly up)

For me who uses the services of Aer Arann at the airport both on a business and personal basis about 30 times+ over the last year it will mean a nice additional hit in extra charges.

I used to use the Aer Arann service from Cork to Edinburgh quite a lot until AL took over , increased fees and messed up the times - I hope they dont do the same to this excellent service and airport that we have here in Waterford !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

For me, it represents at least a fare increase of E22 per return trip to Southend

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just put the heart crossways in me! Went to make one of my fairly frequent flights to Birmingham. Look up Aer Lingus. No flight to BMX.

Aaaargh.

No, don't panic, nothing about the route being discontinued. Check Waterford Airport site, find 'services' yup, Birmingham...and Flybe.

Oh. Yes I know (now) that it was mentioned on this thread, but I hadn't been aware of it. Anyway booked for more or less usual price, looked suspiciously at baggage rules. Ah the good old days of Aer Arann - er I went shopping...three large shopping bags allowed on in addition to hand baggage, no hassle (last summer). I suspect Flybe won't let me away with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

savic04 wrote: »

It means a great deal, actually. It means that orders of magnitude more people will become aware of flights to Waterford. People in the UK that are used to using the site will see the destination pop up repeatedly on a pull down menu. Many will book as somewhere different to go.

It should also be possible to get Waterford on to flight aggregation sites. Flybe has already helped in this respect. Just went to ebookers to see if I could book flights from Waterford to Moscow, for the crack. You can! Because Flybe can be trawled from these sites. Aer Lingus is also on there. Aer Arann wasn't. This is very helpful for tourism. May also be helpful for locals to discover flight options.

If we are being charged more through the Aer Lingus site, that's a pity, but I think this is a good move overall.

As for new routes, changing Luton for Gatwick would be great for Waterford, which seems possible if Aer Arann gets to benefit from Aer Lingus' deals. You might be surprised RE the runway extension. The government will save money from closing Galway and Sligo airports and ending PSOs and if they sell some semi-states, there might be some money there for these kind of capital improvements. Especially, since Waterford is now one of the very few without the longer runway (the only other exception is Donegal, which is being kept open for political reasons). It would actually pay the government to make the investment, because it could get more or less out of the business of subsidising airports. Not saying it's a dead cert, but matters have improved for Waterford now that there are less airports, and there is ample evidence that the runway improvements would pay dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Would anyone be able to throw out a rough estimate of how much a runway extension might cost?

When reading people's comments I'm never sure if it is a €2m or €20m job they are talking about. I've probably made the point somewhere here before, but if you were looking for road improvements it would normally be a fairly straightforward process of getting the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hardybuck wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to throw out a rough estimate of how much a runway extension might cost?

When reading people's comments I'm never sure if it is a €2m or €20m job they are talking about. I've probably made the point somewhere here before, but if you were looking for road improvements it would normally be a fairly straightforward process of getting the job done.

It's not just the runway, the taxiways need to be widened and strengthened, new lighting, navigation aids and ils to bring up to Cat ii or iii standards (think it's currently cat I). Be interesting to see how the q400s work as they cruise much faster than the ATRs.

Sse

Advertisement