Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so I rear ended a car yesterday...

Options
  • 06-02-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hey there

so I rear ended a car at a roundabout yesterday in waterford. going slow enough but caused a small dent above their licence plate. Had to happen at some point i guess in my driving career!!

Exchanged details etc and he said he'd get a quote from a place he knows today.

He got back to me with it and it was v expensive and he thought so too so i looked up a couple places and passed them onto him to get quotes.

It seems the quote was for a whole host of things:

- rear bumper cover
    -rear bumper cover lower
    -bumper bar
    -number plate
    -paint and consumables

+ labour came to €842 incl vat!!

anyone think is way too much work need and price??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What kind of car was it you hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

VW Golf '05! is that an expensive car to fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Without seeing the impact area its impossible to say, the typical modern car with its massive wraparound bumpers are far more expensive to fix than ye bolt-on iron bar with plastic skin jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Did you get an official quote from the place thats repairing it? Also any official letters from insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Yeah that's what they charge they can be done cheaper but hey it's insurance and it's a rip off rip off Ireland at its best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

make sure its from a proper repairer,s don,t let yourself get shafted and get copy of everything incase ya wanna go legal later

no we didnt go through insurance. i'll be paying cash but if its going to be that expensive might have to go through insurance.
    I didnt get the official quote off him yet he said i can have it when i want it but i said id wait til he got another few quotes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Davey Pickard, Gerry Kennedy, Penrose Crash Repairs, Damien Irish are all names that you can trust

The girlfriend had the same problem when she knocked into the back of a car she barely tipped it and the quote she got back off the person who owned the car was nearly a 1400 and she knows a guy that does body repair and he even said it would of been at least 600 euro because of it being the bumper

thanks for the replies.

maybe i will go through my insurance. i'm with aviva and have no claims bonus.
    do you think my insurance would go up by much if i claimed?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

foxy_j wrote: »
    thanks for the replies.

thanks

Ask him to get 3 quotes 2 from him and one from your choice.
    Be nice about it to keep him on your side,
    If you claim and you have no protection on your bonus you will lose the lot,
    Also you will have an excess on your policy and other costs will be car hire.

It's worth checking your policy some have no claims protection.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I know of a chap that does this as an aside (not his main job like). My girlfriend got her car done before after damaging her own bonnet from a minor crash sometime ago and he did a great job and very cheap.

If you need contact information, send me a PM. He came in much cheaper than all the garages in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

We got rear ended a few years back. Looked like nothing at first ,when we brought it to the mechanic the underneath of the car was wrecked.Would have cost nearly 3 grand to get it fixed.Ended up a right off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nypd wrote: »
    Ask him to get 3 quotes 2 from him and one from your choice.
    Be nice about it to keep him on your side,
    If you claim and you have no protection on your bonus you will lose the lot,
    Also you will have an excess on your policy and other costs will be car hire.

It's worth checking your policy some have no claims protection.

Most insurance companies allow you re-pay the claim before your renewal date. If you pay it back, you don't loose your bonus. Your insurance company may get a better deal also.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

V.W. have a deserved reputation for expensive part's and if the paintwork is metallic any repairs will be exspensive

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Sully wrote: »
    He came in much cheaper than all the garages in town.

Problem with guys like this is that do not have the overheads proper repairers have.
    Most importantly insurance or EPA licences.
    You may be saving a few bob but don't forget they are not regulated so not kind to the environment.
    Stay away from main dealers ( except McConnells) they are just middle men, go straight to the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Wouldn't the fella that was hit be entitled to get his car repaired where he wanted? I certainly wouldn't want any two bit car repair place fixing my car, just because they were the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I took a VW to the official Waterford place and they quoted me for a crumpled chassis and god knows what. Even though I was on the receiving end of a shunt I wasn't about to rob the woman that ran into me. I took it to another place and all it needed was a new bumper. I knew from the way the other car had barely tapped me that it couldn't be a chassis job. They were just upping the cost of what they thought was an insurance job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

testicle wrote: »
    Wouldn't the fella that was hit be entitled to get his car repaired where he wanted?

No, you're entitled to have the car put back to the condition it was in before the crash, you can't insist that the other driver have your car repaired in Diamond Dan's HiPriced Repair Emporium.
    I certainly wouldn't want any two bit car repair place fixing my car, just because they were the cheapest.
    You're welcome to insist that it go through your insurers then.
    If they're going through insurance, they'll have to get quotes from proper crash repairers/dealers, but if it's cash only, then it's wider open to deal with in any manner that's acceptable to both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

A few years ago I stupidly reversed into someone's car who happens to live around the corner from me. I was going about 5mph. The damage to their car was minimal and to mine none. From what I could see they required a new number plate and some minor paint touch up. The bumper wasn't damaged in any way.

He went off and got quotes and came back with crazy stuff like a bumper replacement and complete bonnet respray. The cost was way beyond anything I could afford so I suggested I'd go through my Insurance company (Aviva). I contacted Aviva and explained that the guy was trying to scam me/them and that they should appoint someone to evaluate the actual damage. They came back and said it was not worth their while disputing a claim of around €1,000 and accepted his quotations. They paid and I spent the next 3 years building back my no claims bonus with higher premiums. The guy replaced the number plate and pretty much pocketed the rest after presumably giving the garage their cut. Nothing I could do about it.

I still meet him every day the smug sh1t. But, what goes round and that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

old gregg wrote: »
    A few years ago I stupidly reversed into someone's car who happens to live around the corner from me. I was going about 5mph. The damage to their car was minimal and to mine none. From what I could see they required a new number plate and some minor paint touch up. The bumper wasn't damaged in any way.

He went off and got quotes and came back with crazy stuff like a bumper replacement and complete bonnet respray. The cost was way beyond anything I could afford so I suggested I'd go through my Insurance company (Aviva). I contacted Aviva and explained that the guy was trying to scam me/them and that they should appoint someone to evaluate the actual damage. They came back and said it was not worth their while disputing a claim of around €1,000 and accepted his quotations. They paid and I spent the next 3 years building back my no claims bonus with higher premiums. The guy replaced the number plate and pretty much pocketed the rest after presumably giving the garage their cut. Nothing I could do about it.

I still meet him every day the smug sh1t. But, what goes round and that stuff.
    Here's a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Basically, the whole thing is a big dirty scam between the crash repair people, the insurance company and the fools that have no choice but to pay high premiums.

I went to a particular individual mentioned at the top of the thread, who operates from a (very fancy premises on a) certain industrial park on the outskirts of the city.

I told him a guy hit into me and I needed to get a quote to fix the damage. Basically, it wasn't much, just two panels on a 9 year old car. He quoted me a grand or so. As he was going down the list I interrupted him and told him not to bother continuing because I wasn't going to spend anything like that amount of money. Basically, he assumed that because a guy hit me, it was an insurance job that the other guy was paying for. But I was actually technically in the wrong, so I was paying (posted about this before on boards). When he heard this, you should have seen the backpedalling. 300 euro came off straight away, saying that some kind of replica panels could be got, but I wouldn't know the difference. But with a still 700 euro bill, there was no way. I went to Kennedy's garage in Portlaw and got him to tap out the damage and straighten the door (hit on the hinge) for 70 euro! The car was grand and there are more noticeable marks on the car than the place he tapped out, which you wouldn't see unless you were looking for it.

This here is the whole problem. First, the guy was charging me 300 euro over the odds for panels and spraying, thinking, rightly, that the insurance company wouldn't do any checking; second, what does a 9 year old car with plenty of wear need brand, spanking new panels for anyway, unless the car is in very good condition? So whether you think, I was charged 300 euro too much or 930 euro too much, you get the point: a lot of money being thrown around in crash repair and we're paying large premiums to support it. It's a total joke. I'd rather pay the insurance that pays out for a cheap job, and maybe supplement it myself, than pay a big premium just so Mr. Crash Repair to flush it down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Let your car wear it's dents like scars. Let's the other cars know it's seen some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Hey there

so I rear ended a car at a roundabout yesterday in waterford. going slow enough but caused a small dent above their licence plate. Had to happen at some point i guess in my driving career!!

Exchanged details etc and he said he'd get a quote from a place he knows today.

He got back to me with it and it was v expensive and he thought so too so i looked up a couple places and passed them onto him to get quotes.

It seems the quote was for a whole host of things:

- rear bumper cover
    -rear bumper cover lower
    -bumper bar
    -number plate
    -paint and consumables

+ labour came to €842 incl vat!!

anyone think is way too much work need and price??

thanks

Welcome to Ireland!!! The land of fleece you for every penny you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mikehunts wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland!!! The land of fleece you for every penny you got.

Could of been a lot worse. Bogus injury claim springs to mind, Plenty of crooks out there.

OP. Let your insurance look after it, That's why you pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭2012 Rio

Problem with guys like this is that do not have the overheads proper repairers have.
    So they can keep their costs to a minimum. More power to them i say.
    Most importantly insurance or EPA licences.
    Not the customers problem
    You may be saving a few bob but don't forget they are not regulated so not kind to the environment.
    Who cares?
    Stay away from main dealers ( except McConnells) they are just middle men, go straight to the garage.
    Agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭2012 Rio

merlante wrote: »
    I went to a particular individual mentioned at the top of the thread, who operates from a (very fancy premises on a) certain industrial park on the outskirts of the city.

Hmmmm. Perchance is that estate on the old kilmeaden road on the left just before the Carrickpeerish roundabout. He is down near the very back.

Yeah i know it well. I got a quote there for getting my bumper repainted and when he "looked" at he said €2,500. Ooooh yeah you'll need this that and the other, respray 1/2 the car, primer underneath, new such and such <other inflated nonsense> etc etc. Obviously this was complete arse gravy cos he thought it was an insurance job. When he gave me this sh!te talk i just threw him a surprised look, sat in and drove off.
    I brought it to a guy in tramore who painted my bumper for 150. Perfect job.

Some of these repair shops are running with themselves.

least the guy seems sound enough! lets hope I don't regret saying that.

He let me choose anywhere to get a quote so and i passed him on details of a few places.
    He won't get a chance to get it looked at again til Friday so fingers crossed.

In the mean time going to ring my insurance tomorrow and ask them if I was to make a claim in the future how would it affect my premium!

So crazy the difference places can charge... def rip off Ireland!!

thanks for the replies.

thanks

the girlfriends premium went up by 200euro after she had the claim on it after her tip in her car, hope you get a decent price on the fix hopefully some repairer will be decent about it, there is enough ripping off going on around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

mike65 wrote: »
    Davey Pickard, Gerry Kennedy, Penrose Crash Repairs, Damien Irish are all names that you can trust
    damien irish ya say!!! me car got nicked from his workshop and i,m outta pocket because of it!!!!won,t go into it coz it,ll only make me angry again

Advertisement