Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so I rear ended a car yesterday...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

damien irish ya say!!! me car got nicked from his workshop and i,m outta pocket because of it!!!!won,t go into it coz it,ll only make me angry again

somebody nicked your car from a garage???

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

the fella in ballytruckel would have banged it out for a couple of hundred,
    850 quid is way over the top for a 7 year old golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

S28382 wrote: »
    yeah twas back at start of summer 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh dear well obviously his security isn't up to snuff. I trust you got the value of your car off his insurance.

i did,nt mike as he had a large excess on his policy 5 grand to be exact so twas split down the middle between me and the other poor fecker thats car was taken in the end i only got 4700 and the outstanding loan on the car was near 7 grand twas a 04 golf, robbed twice i was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I find it strange that people don't seem to understand that when repairing bodywork, it makes no difference if it's a 2012 Mercedes S Class or a 1984 Toyota Corolla. It still requires the same amount of prep and work to do a proper repair.

There's also a HUGE difference in the quality of work between a cheap repair and a quality repair. I spent €600 last month having both bumpers repainted (stone chips & scratches from previous owner) and a dent in my rear passenger door repaired by one of the best (IMO) in the South East if not Ireland. The finish is absolutely sublime and you would never in a 100 years know it was repaired.

You buy cheap, you buy twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I rear ended a fella yesterday too, when he got out of the car he was only 4ft 1, he walked back to me steaming.... his first words were "I'm not Happy", which one are you then? I replied, don't think the claim will go to well.......

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

You buy cheap, you buy twice.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys

A bad repair can knock serious value of your motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭2012 Rio

I find it strange that people don't seem to understand that when repairing bodywork, it makes no difference if it's a 2012 Mercedes S Class or a 1984 Toyota Corolla. It still requires the same amount of prep and work to do a proper repair.

But you have to consider the fact that with a 2012 Merc, the owners will really want a 110% perfect, "never know it was fixed" type job and will be willing to pay the price for it as its a new car. On the other hand, someone with a 84 corrolla or an "aul mk 2 Mondeo" may be quite happy with a "fix 'er up near enough" type job and get it for €150-200.
    As I said above, i was quoted silly money to paint a bumper by G.K. but got it fix up fine by a guy in a shed. Now sure, if you really examined it closely you would see the change from new paint to old paint but shure who cares? I'm not doing a microscope survey of my car's bodywork every day.
    To me, the cars mechaicals are deserveing of far more attention to detail, i mean a dent or a scratch won't leave you stranded at the road side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

yeah twas back at start of summer 2011

Jesus that's bad getting your car nicked from a garage, not a good sign if that's happening

• Advertisement

Jesus that's bad getting your car nicked from a garage, not a good sign if that's happening
    your telling me kid, and not a sign of the thing at all, what i find strange is that if twas robbed during the night the petrol tank was on empty with just bare bit petrol in it and the closest garage would have been topaz on the manor if it even got that far they would have been lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I cant believe some of the tripe people are posting about this topic.

If someone crashes into me they are at fault and they should fix the repairs, I dont have to him and haw and say what if you do this what if you do that, I took this approach with someone in the past, I was rightly screwed, The car had much more damage than first estimated by one garage that i was asked to go to, the person took ages to get me the money for the repairs,

Twas a total nightmare!

Be very very very careful about not going directly with insurance companies, ive heard many many many bad stories about cars and repairs that havent been put through insurance that ended badly.

If youve been crashed into make sure its sorted yesterday, I had a truck crash into my parked car a few years ago took mirror off dinged the side door scraped the glass, to within mm's of it shattering and scraped all down one side of the car! arrgghhhhhh, I needed the car for a test a couple of days later, the drivers window wouldnt wind down which is a must for a driving test, I told him i wanted it sorted and taken to Toyota and dealt with, His boss rang me and was ranting and raving about how much this was going to cost him and his company and the drivers, etc etc, i told him i was hanging up and he could ring me back and appolagise for abusing me the victim in this situation, he rang back later and said sorry it wasnt my fault obviously and said it was going to cost him to have it sorted and i said yeah i know, what do you want me to do about it? I said you get it fixed where ever you have to but im not going running around looking for you, Toyota is out the road, So he then agreed cost him about 1500 or more for an older Toyota.

I wasnt going to be burnt again like before, I know that garages think great insurance job but they are just covering everything, and i would want the car i drive with kids in it to be repaired to the highest possible standards, and i would advise posters on here to be very careful about naming companies and saying they are doing insurance jobs its liable pardon my spelling.

and always ring your own insurance company they make sure all is sorted too!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

I rear ended the lak last week and shE said twas grand....couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

Nypd wrote: »

Assuming a good repair:
    Do you have to disclose repaired damage on your car when you want to sell it?
    Does this reduce the value of the car?

And as a conclusion:
    Does the accident perpetrator have to compensate you for the loss in value?

MFZ wrote: »
    Assuming a good repair:

And as a conclusion:
    yes you are legally obliged to disclose if the vehicle was in any sort of collision even if repaired, i sued a car dealer who has since gone bankrupt in limerick few years ago for selling me a car that should,nt have been on the road in the first place for not disclosing to me at time of purchase that the car was dangerous, the engineer i got to inspect the car after i started having major problems with it said " it was a danger to me and other road users"

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

MFZ wrote: »

Assuming a good repair:

And as a conclusion:

Any major repairs should be disclosed by the seller.
    By rights it should devalue your motor again this depends on the quality of repairs carried out.

If your car is damaged by a third party you are entitled to claim depreciation off their insurance company.
    They will never offer it, you need to demand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

so here's the update.

He got a couple more quotes and the cheapest was €800.

That was including car hire as he wont have his car for 3 days.

Guess ill have to get onto my insurance company as def cant afford to fork that kinda cash out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do you 3rd party or Comp? Check your insurance details you might find you are covered for one pay out up to a certain level (a couple of grand usually) before it hits your NCB

examples http://www.easyquote.ie/blog/index.php/what-is-full-no-claims-bonus-protection-on-a-car-insurance-policy/

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

hey thanks, have comprehensive insurance and i'm with aviva.

had a look at my policy online but not sure if i have no claims bonus protection.

Will have give them a buzz to find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickDub

Try Damien Irish out in Slieverue. Anybody ever heard or had experiance with these www.carmedic.ie ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

is the blame not to be aimed at the insurance companies who write the cheques, if they pay out fraudulent claims they know to be exaggerated the everyone is being done a massive disservice.
    This insurance is mandatory so it needs to be better regulated , oh yeah we dont do regulation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

a bloke smashed into the front of my car once while it was parked outside my parent's house... cost him €1400 notes to repair my car.... then he had to repair his...

anyways he got loads of quotes each averaging about €2000 to replace the bumper, passenger side head lamp, wing, bonnet and radiator, and a spray job.

eventually i found a guy that did the whole job for €1400. the mechanic was able to weld the plastic bumper back to together. You'd never know it was smashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Any major repairs should be disclosed by the seller.
    By rights it should devalue your motor again this depends on the quality of repairs carried out.

This isnt correct... you dont have to volunteer this information, if the buyer asks you was it repaired then you can tell them it was, or you Lie and tell them it and tell them it wasn't , but then the buyer can have a claim against you, but they would have to prove you knew the car was crashed and repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Did you get a picture of the damage? Some people may seem nice but will try anything to get as much as they can out of insurance. Its a wonder insurance didnt sent out an assesor. Larry Durand back of Pet Necessities is very good.

Advertisement