Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CCTV for farm animals ,advice needed

• 06-02-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Basically I need a camera to monitor farm animals in an outside shed around 20meters away from the house. Unfortunately there is no line of sight and we don't want cables between the two buildings. We need a camera with 70 degrees with good HD quality, also it would be handy if we could let it stream over the wifi (to Ipad and smart phones) There is a budget of 600(ish) Of course the cheaper the better
    Im new to this so all help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I presume you have your own pc/laptop with a wireless card
    Then what you need is
    A router (3g one is best as it keeps your options open)
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Netgear-Cable-Wireless-G-Router-54-Mbps-4-port-switch-4-Port-10-100-WGR614-v7-/120813309007?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item1c2108cc4f#ht_2949wt_698
    And
    a couple of these cameras
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DB-POWER-Wireless-WiFi-Pan-Tilt-IP-Dual-Webcam-Camera-/250783122097?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3a63d6c2b1#ht_5877wt_1002
    (you may need to spend a bit more for a HD quality camera but for monitoring a shed a couple of these are perfect)

If you want to view the shed over the internet then you need to get a 3g sim card for the router unless you already have Broadband at home, a cheap pay to go card will suffice for this

and nothing else
    Voila :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Grecco wrote: »
    If you want to view the shed over the internet then you need to get a 3g sim card for the router unless you already have Broadband at home, a cheap pay to go card will suffice for this

and nothing else

Great info grecco.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost monthly on a pay to go card for to view the cameras 2 or 3 times per day?

Would it possible to use a camera like this and just install a 3g sim card into it so that you could view it online without having to use a router?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wireless-3G-Remote-Pan-Tilt-300-KP-CCTV-Camera-11-IR-night-version-/150753362881?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item231999c3c1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

its very difficult to beat a hardwired system despite the added expense and hassle of instalation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

reilig wrote: »
    Great info grecco.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost monthly on a pay to go card for to view the cameras 2 or 3 times per day?

Would it possible to use a camera like this and just install a 3g sim card into it so that you could view it online without having to use a router?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wireless-3G-Remote-Pan-Tilt-300-KP-CCTV-Camera-11-IR-night-version-/150753362881?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item231999c3c1

Relig you could use that camera but the only thing is you will only have one camera to view. If you go the way I`m saying with the 3g router then you can install as many cameras as you like and its a doddle to set up.
    Currently I have a pay to go meteor card stuck into the dongle so I`ll just top it up by 20 bucks per month for the 2 months there calving.
    Speaking of which, I forgot to say that you also need your standard 3g dongle which plugs into the USB port of the router as well such as this one for 10 bucks
    http://www1.meteor.ie/mobilebroadband/payg/ (it the E173)

Setting up the router is easy and not a big deal and is the way to go as you have your own network which you can log into wirelessly up to 70 meters away or else use a cat6a cable for a shed that's over that. for internet access just make sure you have good mobile broadband in your area as in the "blue light 3g" before committing yourself to buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Relig you could use that camera but the only thing is you will only have one camera to view. If you go the way I`m saying with the 3g router then you can install as many cameras as you like and its a doddle to set up.
    Currently I have a pay to go meteor card stuck into the dongle so I`ll just top it up by 20 bucks per month for the 2 months there calving.
    Speaking of which, I forgot to say that you also need your standard 3g dongle which plugs into the USB port of the router as well such as this one for 10 bucks

Setting up the router is easy and not a big deal and is the way to go as you have your own network which you can log into wirelessly up to 70 meters away or else use a cat6a cable for a shed that's over that. for internet access just make sure you have good mobile broadband in your area as in the "blue light 3g" before committing yourself to buy

I saw a set up like that lately, using one of those meteor dongles. The problem, was that the video feed when looking over the internet on a lap top, was very, very poor. Stopping, buffering, jumping, etc. That was with a low res camera. With a high res camera, it just buffered for an eternity.

Funny thing is, you can use a meteor phone in the same shed, and watch a youtube clip, perfectly clearly.
    You can take the meteor dongle and plug to the lap top, and watch youtube no problem.

However, when dialling into the cameras to view the shed, the whole thing goes pearshaped:(

I think these systems, really need fixed line broadband to give you a clear idea of what is really going on in the calving pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

I presume you have your own pc/laptop with a wireless card
    Then what you need is
    A router (3g one is best as it keeps your options open)
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Netgear-Cable-Wireless-G-Router-54-Mbps-4-port-switch-4-Port-10-100-WGR614-v7-/120813309007?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item1c2108cc4f#ht_2949wt_698
    And
    a couple of these cameras
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DB-POWER-Wireless-WiFi-Pan-Tilt-IP-Dual-Webcam-Camera-/250783122097?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item3a63d6c2b1#ht_5877wt_1002
    (you may need to spend a bit more for a HD quality camera but for monitoring a shed a couple of these are perfect)

and nothing else
    Thanks for the post. I wasnt clear enough but we dont want to go into the 3g systems. We have wifi from our eircom router and was thinking of buying a repeater to send the signal to the shed. Is there a way of connecting the camera to the mains and to the wifi? And because its only 15(I measured today) from the house would this not be possible?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Dazza wrote: »
    Thanks for the post. I wasnt clear enough but we dont want to go into the 3g systems. We have wifi from our eircom router and was thinking of buying a repeater to send the signal to the shed. Is there a way of connecting the camera to the mains and to the wifi? And because its only 15(I measured today) from the house would this not be possible?

Thanks

ya whens its that short of a run its a pity you havent a bit of ducting across yard and just run a long network cable..all you need do is buy a camera, a good ptz IP camera can be expensive, up to yourself what to spend, you will see them on ebay. you can link your sheds to your house using 2 of the these
    http://www.irishwireless.net/190-ubiquiti-nanostation5---80211a-400mw-cpeap-.html
    very easy to set up and pretty cheap, they can be cable tied to drain pipes, ive one inside the window of house and the other on drain pipe of slatted shed. you can connect the one in your house to your eircom modem, on the other end you can connect you ip camera directly to the lan port of the wireless device. hey presto your camera and your wireless gear and your laptop iphone ipad are all on same network, you should be able browse to camera address. to access from internet make sure you have a static address from eircom and set up some port forwarding on your broadband modem to point to inside address of camera.

the 3g stuff seems like a great idea but even on regular broadband my camera can be a bit slow to access remotely, can zoom in and read tag number etc

Thanks

just thinking there but then the distance is so small something like this would be much handier for you
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328641226&sr=8-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Thanks

just thinking there but then the distance is so small something like this would be much handier for you
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328641226&sr=8-1
    Thanks for the replies. I was actually considering Ethernet plugs but I wasn't sure it was going to work as the electricity goes through a box and I didn't know whether the electricity box could handle this. Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies. I was actually considering Ethernet plugs but I wasn't sure it was going to work as the electricity goes through a box and I didn't know whether the electricity box could handle this. Any ideas?

hmm dont know really, i think so long as its the same supply that working in house and sheds it should in theory work :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭robin3

hi, trying to set this up have a camera set up and receiving picture wirelessly on tv in house, also have a dvr, have a wifi router ordered from 3 mobile, and not sure what to do next. should I be worried that 3 don't used fixed ip addresses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Powerline adaptors should work but it's a case of get them and see.

Really if this is going to be a semi permanent job you should reconsider not wanting to run proper ethernet cable, at 20m you would have loads of capacity to route it in a way that isn't visually obtrusive, it'll be by far the cheapest and most reliable solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thanks

Sorry missed this post earlier, OP have you mains electricity in the shed? Have you tried taking a laptop or smartphone out to the shed and tried to pick up your wifi network out there? If you can get the wifi out there what's the signal strength like?

Advertisement