Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of electric fencing

• 06-02-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much it costs, per metre, to buy the materials for erecting an electric fence? High tensile wire and treated stakes.. Any places good for buying in bulk? About 8000 metres to do!!
    Thanks!
    lartheher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

There are too many variables to cost without knowing what materials you want to use, size of post, number of strainers, creosote or tanilised?

Buy the best you can afford, do it once, do it right. High tensile wire is approx €55+vat/roll of 500 metres.

PM me if you would like more details re stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

high tensile wire comes in rolls of 650 metres and can be bought between 42 - 48 euro a roll INCLUDING VAT ,7 ft straining posts between 12-15 INCLUDING VAT , 5 ft stakes extra heavys from 2.80 to 3.50 depending on quality INCLUDING VAT ,if you are being asked for 55+ vat for a roll of h/t wire with 500m in it (never heard of one) you are being you can fill the blank , all of the above stakes would be treated with tanailth ,pressure cresote would be more but well worth the extra investment ,job for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

see below.. expensive enough now to be fair... any places cheaper??

5FT CREOSOTED STAKES. 5.40
    7FT CREOSOTED STRAINING POSTS. 16.00
    12 GUAGUE HT WIRE 39.00
    50 PACK INSULTUBE 4.73
    WHITE EGG INSULATOR PER PACKET 25. 10.80
    BLUE GATE HANDLE 1.49

i doubt you will get better prices than those ,do you mind me asking where you got those prices ,are they including vat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

excl the VAT, 21%.. granted it can be claimed back. Brennan fencing. Bought a post driver off of them a couple of years ago.. Just shopping around to see if there is any better offers out there!

• Advertisement

frs in cahir might beat them on the stakes ,everything else seems to be fairly bang on price , dont forget vat 23%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

Anyone know anyone around Cavan/leitrim that sell stakes that comply with the TAMS scheme??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

razor8 wrote: »
    Anyone know anyone around Cavan/leitrim that sell stakes that comply with the TAMS scheme??

Similar question for the south east - bloody hard to get a supplier :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

can i ask, to everyone.

im all on for buying the best etc. . but would the spec of the fence not depend on what your trying to keep in/out . . .

over the last 20 years high tensil wire and 4 ft treated stakes were the only thing we used. but now that im at it myself. im changing to poly rope. . . stakes are stakes, but the high tensil wire is a !"£$ on the insulators. . . you see. tis heavy on the insulator, and they break, ive seen the wire pull stakes down over time.

not to mention the handling and effort it takes to deal with high tensil over poly

+1, a tree fell on the poly wire before christmas, i cut the tree away and the rope popped back up.

if that was high tensil wire with strainers, well, if the insulators didnt break the stakes would.. . .

anyway. . i seem to be addicted to opinions and thoughts of electric fencing.

im trying to decide, on a flat plane, how far apart can the stakes go if you use poly wire. . . . im keeping cattle in. .. and the best advice i was given, is that . ."the wire doesnt stop the cattle" "tis the shock" . . . give the wire slack for a running pack, or a falling tree. . but be sure to test every day. . and i do.

right, off for me dinner.

just a thought. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

a stake every 12 paces is what i like to use.. 15 paces is alright too but no greater than that.
    I prefer to have plenty stakes and not have to tighten the be jasus out of the wire to get it looking right.
    I've a constant battle with the old man on this one. every year he goes out tighting wires especially on warm days. result is snapped wires on cold days:mad::mad::mad::pac::pac::pac::pac:.

I prefer to use mild steel wire rather than the high tensile just because it is easier to work it. but the HT is probably a better job but i dont know why really:confused:.

While poly wire is handy expecailly for temp fencing but its not a good long term solution. all polly will suffer UV degradation. its just a matter of time.

Also use the tube type insulators that are secured with a traditional staple for your stakes. If they do get pulled out by a branch falling etc you can restaple with the current still on and they are a fair bit cheaper. not worth retro fitting though;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

49801 wrote: »
    I prefer to use mild steel wire rather than the high tensile just because it is easier to work it. but the HT is probably a better job but i dont know why really:confused:.
    Mild steel wire stretches, and the longer the run between strainers, the more 'slack' will accumulate between any two stakes. In due course, it gets weakened at some point, and snaps. As you have found :D
    High Tensile stretches too of course, but to a far lesser degree, to the point of being inconsequential for all practical purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LuckyPenny

Bought mine from Glynns in Tuam

Advertisement