Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DeBranding a Nokia e71?

Options
  • 06-02-2012 10:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Recently acquired a Nokia e71, unlocked from vodafone, it works grand with my meteor simcard so all is well there but I would love to remove the Vodafone branding/images etc.

Anyone have any idea how to do this?

I am currently flashing it with updated FW but I don't imagine this will remove the branding.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

"Debranding" is as simple as changing a number deep in the code to another number. Then the phone will download a non operator approved software update. Takes max 10 mins in a good mobile phone service shop and costs a tenner. Ring a few to check they can debrand and how much.

First dial *#0000#. Note the firmware version and confirm there is a later version otherwise it is pointless.

Nemesis may do it for free if you install it. See

http://themoth.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/updating-e71-firmware-to-generic-euro1-version/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    "Debranding" is as simple as changing a number deep in the code to another number. Then the phone will download a non operator approved software update. Takes max 10 mins in a good mobile phone service shop and costs a tenner. Ring a few to check they can debrand and how much.

First dial *#0000#. Note the firmware version and confirm there is a later version otherwise it is pointless.

Nemesis may do it for free if you install it. See

http://themoth.wordpress.com/2009/01/13/updating-e71-firmware-to-generic-euro1-version/

I tried NSS last night but when I scaned for devices it never recognised the phone.

The good thing about Nokia Software Updater is that even if there is only the current version available to download, you can reinstall, so I can "update" to the same version (do a clean flash) so once I can change the product number, I can put a generic FW on the phone.

Just need to find a software that actually works!

Cheers for the advice though, I will give a few shops a call today.

Does nokia pc suite recognise an e71.. by way of checking drivers are installed for it?

Yeah, the phone is recognised by the PC Suit Software and everything there works perfectly, I also managed to update the FW with the software updater, so that's all grand but NSS won't recognise the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Try Nokia Care Suite 5, I've used it to flash my Nokia Lumia 800

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Try Nokia Care Suite 5, I've used it to flash my Nokia Lumia 800

It lets you change the product number and then flash with software updater or does it just flash a generic FW itself?

Seaneh wrote: »
    It lets you change the product number and then flash with software updater or does it just flash a generic FW itself?

The firmware I needed wasn't available for my (product number) so I just downloaded the one I needed. I picked the Germany unbranded firmwarm, changed the product number on the file name to match my Lumia's product number and flashed it.

The firmware I needed wasn't available for my (product number) so I just downloaded the one I needed. I picked the Germany unbranded firmwarm, changed the product number on the file name to match my Lumia's product number and flashed it.

That is rather clever!

Will give it a lash.

LOLs at the simplicity. But do you know the current firmware number , eg 056xxxx , so you can change the firmware filename to include that string.

That is rather clever!

Will give it a lash.

Use NaviFirmEx to find any firmware you want, rename the product code part of the file name with your phones product code and copy them into the correct folder location then flash away.

Untitled-7.jpg

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    LOLs at the simplicity. But do you know the current firmware number , eg 056xxxx , so you can change the firmware filename to include that string.

You only need to know your phones product number which you can find out in the basic details section of Nokia Care Suite. Then you just change the product code on the downloaded firmware for your phone with your product code and flash away.

I got pissed off waiting around for the battery fix firmware to be sent to my phone through Zune so I just flashed it myself in the end, no more battery problems! :-D The only down side to doing this rather than wait for the update through Zune was that it resets your phone to the factory settings, so you have to install all your apps again and setup your emails.

Deadly, cheers, how do I go ahead and add the frimware, once downloaded and file names changed, to care suit 5?

Seems my phone isn't supported by Care Suit 5, ho hum...

Deadly, cheers, how do I go ahead and add the frimware, once downloaded and file names changed, to care suit 5?

Seems my phone isn't supported by Care Suit 5, ho hum...

Use Phoenix if Nokia Care Suite doesn't work.

Use Phoenix if Nokia Care Suite doesn't work.

I can't figure out how to do it in Phoenix!
    I can scan the phone and view the info etc, just can't actually flash the firmware.

Advertisement