Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot Ping my Eircom external IP Address

Options
  • 06-02-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I have an Eircom - Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 modem

I am looking to set up port-forwarding on this router for a Wireless IP camera so that I can view remotely via the internet.

When I ping the my Public IP: 86:xx:xx:151 I don't get a reply.

The modem carries its default settings from day 1 installation.

Surely I don't need to activate port forwarding in order to ping?

Any Suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I have an Eircom - Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 modem

I am looking to set up port-forwarding on this router for a Wireless IP camera so that I can view remotely via the internet.

When I ping the my Public IP: 86:xx:xx:151 I don't get a reply.

The modem carries its default settings from day 1 installation.

Surely I don't need to activate port forwarding in order to ping?

Any Suggestions??

Often times modems don't respond to internet pings by default - the idea being that if anyone notices a device on the internet repsonding to a ping, they could port scan to see if any other services with vulnerabilities are active at that ip

Check that the modem responds to internet / wan icmp pings in its web interface at 192.168.1.254 . Also, I remember on an old (2004) zyxel modem, you couldn't communicate with the wan ip address / dyndns address from within the lan-most likely they've fixed that by now

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tranceenigma

Dardania wrote: »
    Check that the modem responds to internet / wan icmp pings in its web interface at 192.168.1.254 .

Dardina,

When you say the above what exactly do you mean by this in laymans terms. I guess that does make sense to not been able to ping Public Ipaddresses like that from a security point of view.

Surely I do not have to register with dyndns in order to achieve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

The manual for that modem is online at ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/P-660HW-T3_v3/user_guide/P-660HW-T3 v3_3.70_Ed2.pdf

There is an Anti-probing option under the firewall section in the manual. If it's enabled it won't send a reply when you try to ping it.

Edit: I think you just need to setup port forwarding for the relevant port to be visible outside your network.

I'm with UPC so I don't know exactly what the options will be but it'll probably be under Firewall/Security. The options I have are for IP Flood Detection and Port Scan Detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tranceenigma

duffman85 wrote: »
    The manual for that modem is online at ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/P-660HW-T3_v3/user_guide/P-660HW-T3 v3_3.70_Ed2.pdf

There is an Anti-probing option under the firewall section in the manual. If it's enabled it won't send a reply when you try to ping it.

Duffman

That PDF you sent is quiet different to the setup of my router. I tried looking at the firewall settings & there is nothing there with regard to anti-probing settings, could this be titled any other way?

Advertisement