Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Triathlon.

Options
  • 06-02-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi folks, this will probably be a long post but any feedback/advice will be much appreciated.

After playing team sports all my life ive decided to take the leap and go for a triathlon. dont quite know why triathlons are appealing to me, its probably the least suited to me but what the hell, i like a challenge! i read about an alcatraz triathlon one time and i think ive had the urge ever since.

Anyway, first things first id be fairly big into my weight training, benching/squatting etc etc and im a fairly big lump of a lad at 6'4 and about 16 1/2 stone.

how much weight should i be looking to drop to be able to finish a triathlon? couple of stone? should i knock the weights on the head altogether and just concentrate on cardio?

I trained today for the first time in relation to the triathlon. i did 5k on a treadmill in about 28 min and 5k on the bike in 10 min. im fairly decent at swimming once i concentrate on it the only thing i cant do is the turn at the end of a length, i just touch the wall with my hand and bound off with my feet.

When training should i be concentrating on one "leg" at a time? ie swim monday,run tuesday,bike wednesday?

Then we come to diet, what should and shouldnt i be eating? meat veg and fruit with plenty of water?

and lastly, how should i go about my first race? should i just go for a 10k run to ease into it or go for one of them indoor triathlons?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I was 6ft 4 and nearly 20st when I started training for my first triathlon last year so 16.5 stone is nothing and it won't make a difference to you being able to finish your first triathlon.

Cardio is the most important part of a triathlon so I would cut the weights down and concentrate on running swimming and cycling. Muscle is needed and can help but too much of it means it's just additional weight to carry around.

Have look at a site like www.beginnertriathlete.com where there are plenty of free plans to use or give you an idea of how to schedule training.

In most triathlons you do not have to worry about turning during the swim as they are open water. In the swimming pool based ones you are only allowed to turn by touching the edges as tumble turns are usually banned.

If you let us know where you are based we might be able to suggest a suitable first triathlon (or check out www.triathlonIreland.com and their race schedule).

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

I was 6ft 4 and nearly 20st when I started training for my first triathlon last year so 16.5 stone is nothing and it won't make a difference to you being able to finish your first triathlon.

Cardio is the most important part of a triathlon so I would cut the weights down and concentrate on running swimming and cycling. Muscle is needed and can help but too much of it means it's just additional weight to carry around.

Have look at a site like www.beginnertriathlete.com where there are plenty of free plans to use or give you an idea of how to schedule training.

In most triathlons you do not have to worry about turning during the swim as they are open water. In the swimming pool based ones you are only allowed to turn by touching the edges as tumble turns are usually banned.

If you let us know where you are based we might be able to suggest a suitable first triathlon (or check out www.triathlonIreland.com and their race schedule).

Thanks for the info, good point re the tumble turns, hadnt thought about that, think id basically prepared myself for an indoor triathlon to start with and thats why i was worried about the turns. ill check out that other website now.

im based in the north east but willing to travel, im also open to adventure races like run/bike/canoe etc.

Usually when i go for something i go head first in and go at it like mad but with this im determined to ease my way into it and do it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

OP you should look at joining a local club also. Great experience in clubs. They can help you out with training and racing advice and most are very welcoming to newbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

rogieop wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, good point re the tumble turns, hadnt thought about that, think id basically prepared myself for an indoor triathlon to start with and thats why i was worried about the turns. ill check out that other website now.

im based in the north east but willing to travel, im also open to adventure races like run/bike/canoe etc.

Usually when i go for something i go head first in and go at it like mad but with this im determined to ease my way into it and do it right.

North East as in Drogheda/Dundalk or Antrim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cm75

There is a training camp called the finishline training based in Meath. Heard about it through my local tri club. Something like that might be good to get the low down on the whole tri training, nutrition etc. they have a Facebook page. I was thinking I might do it myself as only started triathlons last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

hi, yeah the dundalk/drogheda area, ive been checking a lot of stuff up online in the last while and have worked out a training plan. going to have to fit that around work now.

Went in to have a look at some bikes today and was completely blown away so next thing to do is find a good bike for starting off. going to have a wee look online now.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

how much weight should i be looking to drop to be able to finish a triathlon? couple of stone? should i knock the weights on the head altogether and just concentrate on cardio?

Just to finish one? A sprint distance one or an Olympic distance one? Either way, you can finish one at your current weight. Go to any triathlon and there will be finishers in worse athletic shape than you. To get a time you will be happy with however will probably involve you losing weight.

Also, losing weight should reduce the risk of running injuries due to less stress on the knees etc. You may decide to cut the weights entirely, or just cut way back to a maintenance 1-2x per week.
    I trained today for the first time in relation to the triathlon. i did 5k on a treadmill in about 28 min and 5k on the bike in 10 min. im fairly decent at swimming once i concentrate on it the only thing i cant do is the turn at the end of a length, i just touch the wall with my hand and bound off with my feet.

Nothing wrong with turning like that!
    When training should i be concentrating on one "leg" at a time? ie swim monday,run tuesday,bike wednesday?

Train one leg at a time, except for the odd 'brick' session where you go from a bike session straight into a run, just to get used to the feeling.
    Then we come to diet, what should and shouldnt i be eating? meat veg and fruit with plenty of water?

Just eat proper, real, foods and don't over think it. No crap (sweets, biscuits, cakes, fizzy drinks, fast food, beer etc).
    and lastly, how should i go about my first race? should i just go for a 10k run to ease into it or go for one of them indoor triathlons?

There are some nice, short, duathlons around about now, but that is probably too early for you if you've just started.

Pick a sprint distance triathlon (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run) a few months out and aim for that. If you can get a 5k or even 10k race in beforehand that's great.

Last bit of advice - take it easy on the running, don't ramp up too early. Too easy to get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I'm thinking of having at go at the sprint triathlon in Laois in April.

I don't have a clue about the transitions or changing gear or any of that.
    I have a pair of shorts that could be used for swimming, running and cycling.
    Would people get out of the pool and then get onto the bike with the same shorts they had on in the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Yep some people would wear a tri suit that stays on them from the start of the swim until the end. If you don't have a tri top you will need to put on a top when your in the first transition too. Use one with a full zip, you don't want to try put on a tshirt over a wet body. Depending on the weather then you might put another top on over this for the bike.

joey100 wrote: »
    Yep some people would wear a tri suit that stays on them from the start of the swim until the end. If you don't have a tri top you will need to put on a top when your in the first transition too. Use one with a full zip, you don't want to try put on a tshirt over a wet body. Depending on the weather then you might put another top on over this for the bike.

Thanks.
    I was planning on just throwing a t-shirt on after the swim?

• Advertisement

Yep t shirt will work, but can just be hard to get on when your wet from the pool. If you have a zipped cycling jersey they can be easier to get on, leave them open at your bike and just throw it on when you get to it. Transition is always full of people stuck halfway through a t shirt.

Yep t shirt will work, but can just be hard to get on when your wet from the pool. If you have a zipped cycling jersey they can be easier to get on, leave them open at your bike and just throw it on when you get to it. Transition is always full of people stuck halfway through a t shirt.

Good advice. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

That was my first Tri experience a few years ago. Through my half zip jersey over my head got stuck half way, actually ended up needing to ask a spectator to pull the jersey down the rest of the way cause I had trex arms :p

So you get out of the pool.
    Would the transition area usually be in the changing rooms?
    I figured I'd need to dry off a bit and get shoes and socks on along with a top.

Transition area in Laois is out in an atro turf pitch just outside the swimming pool. They open the fire doors and have the run to the transition area carpeted. You can do all that in transition, just leave a towel at your bike.

Transition area in Laois is out in an atro turf pitch just outside the swimming pool. They open the fire doors and have the run to the transition area carpeted. You can do all that in transition, just leave a towel at your bike.

Oh the glamour :)

To be fair to Laois it's one of the nicer transitions I've been in! Laois is a good beginner tri, plenty of new people do it and there is a good atmosphere around the race. Our club will have a good few from our new to tri programme doing it and I think Trilogy have something similar too. A good tri for your first one and the benefit of the pool is you don't need a wetsuit, sure give it a go and see how you get on.

To be fair to Laois it's one of the nicer transitions I've been in! Laois is a good beginner tri, plenty of new people do it and there is a good atmosphere around the race. Our club will have a good few from our new to tri programme doing it and I think Trilogy have something similar too. A good tri for your first one and the benefit of the pool is you don't need a wetsuit, sure give it a go and see how you get on.

Ya. The details of the transitions etc are up on their site now.
    Looks good, sure I'll be happy enough if I make it to the finish line.

Another n00b question, sorry.

Are tumble turns permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Another n00b question, sorry.

Are tumble turns permitted?

From last years race briefing I'd assume it's a the same.

"Water Safety
    This is a 25m pool with 5 lanes. We plan to accommodate 300 athletes in 8
    Waves. The swim cut off time for the Senior race will be 30 minutes.
    Swimmers who have not completed the distance in this time will have their
    times calculated on the distance covered. Wetsuits or other buoyancy aids are
    not allowed. No Diving or Tumble Turns are allowed. "

http://www.trilaois.ie/sites/default/files/Racebrief2015.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Pretty sure tumble turns are not permitted in any TI sanctioned pool race?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Pretty sure tumble turns are not permitted in any TI sanctioned pool race?

pretty sure you are right. never heard of them in any of the usual indoor races

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    pretty sure you are right. never heard of them in any of the usual indoor races

Used to be allowed in them, then realised that tumbles would scare people so banned them. Heard they may just cancel all swims in case people feel inadequate.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    From last years race briefing I'd assume it's a the same.

"Water Safety
    This is a 25m pool with 5 lanes. We plan to accommodate 300 athletes in 8
    Waves. The swim cut off time for the Senior race will be 30 minutes.
    Swimmers who have not completed the distance in this time will have their
    times calculated on the distance covered. Wetsuits or other buoyancy aids are
    not allowed. No Diving or Tumble Turns are allowed. "

http://www.trilaois.ie/sites/default/files/Racebrief2015.pdf

Damn.
    Looks like I can't use my arm-bands either :(

Thanks for all the useful advice given so far.
    I signed up for Tri-Laois, no backing out now.

What do ye recommend to wear?
    I was gonna wear tri shorts then get one of the zip up tops that was recommended.
    From what I read, the one-piece suits seem to be the way to go.
    Something like this.
    http://www.wiggle.com/zoot-ultra-tri-racesuit-2015/

Would this be enough or would you freeze to death in it on the bike / running sections?
    Usually, I'd just wear a technical t-shirt for duathlons, even in Winter so it may be enough.

Wear the tri suit throughout the race. Btw you don't wear jocks under the suit incase you were considering it.

Arm warmers can be nice to have when on the bike but not essential.

You won't really notice any cold once you get moving unless it's a particularly cold day.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Wear the tri suit throughout the race. Btw you don't wear jocks under the suit incase you were considering it.

Arm warmers can be nice to have when on the bike but not essential.

You won't really notice any cold once you get moving unless it's a particularly cold day.

Hah, wasn't planning on wearing jocks underneath, just a healthy layer of vaseline :D

Sound, I reckon I'll go with this so, I rarely feel the cold in races, unless it's particularly bitter.
    Thanks.

Any recommendations on suits, what you make of the one in the link?

Also, what about sizing?
    I'm 6' and take a Medium in t-shirts.
    Would a medium suit be about right for me?

Hah, wasn't planning on wearing jocks underneath, just a healthy layer of vaseline :D

Sound, I reckon I'll go with this so, I rarely feel the cold in races, unless it's particularly bitter.
    Thanks.

Any recommendations on suits, what you make of the one in the link?

Also, what about sizing?
    I'm 6' and take a Medium in t-shirts.
    Would a medium suit be about right for me?

You shouldn't really need any vase line unless you're prone to blisters. When you get around to a normal tri with a wetsuit you could pick up some suit juice or body glide as the suit will chaff around the neck.

The suit linked looks grand. Avoid light colours at all costs :D

If you're not one for feeling the cold then a tri suit will be all you need. It would be an idea to invest in a race belt also they're only a few euro. Handy for spinning your number. (Rear on bike/front on run)

There's not really a whole load of noticeable difference between them the more expensive suits will probably have better compression and wicking.

I have a 2xu suit and would be 5'10 medium everything and a medium suit is grand on me. I'm not sure about the linked suit sizing but I'd imagine similar.

If it's your first tri and your not sure about doing any more I'd hold off on the tri suit. No need for it straight away, do one and see if you like it. Might not enjoy it and decide it's not for you.

That suit looks decent but for me I'd prefer to buy a suit in a shop. I know it might not be as cheap but I've found some of the pads not that comfortable and like to try them on before I buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Id agree with comment re buying tri suit. Only if you can see yourself catching the bug and doing a few more then its worth investing in.
    Re full suit or 2 piece - either or, differences will be minimal. Im one who isn't crazy about chest compression in pool swims so I'd rather swim in tri shorts and stick a tri top or cycling top on in transition.

Hoping I dont complicate things but 2 other things that might make a difference race day.
    6euro will get you a set of lock laces to put on your trainers and save you time in transition. Even though it may not b important, if its cold or when your under pressure tying laces can be a challenge and pain in the back side.
    If you have any visions drying yourself after the pool my suggestion would be to forget it. Keep a small tub of talc in transition and throw it over your legs followed by one swift wipe down with the towel. Your top half will dry or warm up once you get going on bike. Before the race, you could also sprinkle some talc into your runners and bike shoes and drop the socks (if your using bike shoes)

EDIT: ALSO - worth noting. use the size guide for trisuit you are considering for your size. All trisuits are sized differently depending on brand..its worth also googling reviews to see what past buyers have said re size

Advertisement