Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

struggling :/

• 06-02-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

im doing 8 subjects, obviously only counting 6, but i just dont understand how im meant to study all of these subjects in depth, i mean i come home and theres about 4 hours of good hours of work, so how am i meant to fit in all my study + home work.. it is seeming impossible at the moment.. i try studying everything but always feel like im neglecting a subject??

so basically im just wondering am i the only one with this problem??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Doing the same myself only counting 6 the pass Irish and Maths are taking a bit of a beating in the mocks yet I'm still not getting enough study into the other 6 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Well you're not the only one with this problem. Only yesterday I started studying. I took my computer off my desk and piled on the books. I'm doing 8 subjects too and need 470. I'm going to fail my mocks, but I couldn't care less about them at this stage. Hopefully we'll get there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

8 subjects here too, my technique is just not studying at all. :L I just get the homework done. For my pres I'm studying the night before for everything, if I get around the B mark in everything at this stage I'll be happy. The way I see it we'll be finished the courses in most subjects soon enough, and then there'll be loads of time to just go over exam papers and learn everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

8 subjects here too, all Higher Level. Its definetly a struggle atm but after the mocks it should ease up a bit. As finality said, we'll have most of the courses done soon enough so there will be no problem with fitting in all our subjects... Hopefully :p Stay positive guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

oh god all honors i cant even imagine that least im doing pass maths and irish like..ohh hopefully ye are right.. i only want to pass my mocks because i know i havent studied for them so id be delighted with the d..hopefully this will get easier :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

Lads, fair play to ye! I'm only doing 7 and struggling at that! Keep it up..we've only a few months left!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Drop one of them if it's too much pressure. You'll be able to focus more on your six subjects then, you might even go up a grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fmurr34

Probably the best thing you can do is just creat a study timetable for the evenings when you get home. Try to have 1 hour and 45 minutes dedicated to one subject, followed by a 30 minute break, then another 1 hour 45 mins on a different subject. Try to cover each subject at least once during the weekdays, then study whatever you like over the weekends! Tis what I try to do anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Fmurr34 wrote: »
    Probably the best thing you can do is just creat a study timetable for the evenings when you get home. Try to have 1 hour and 45 minutes dedicated to one subject, followed by a 30 minute break, then another 1 hour 45 mins on a different subject. Try to cover each subject at least once during the weekdays, then study whatever you like over the weekends! Tis what I try to do anyway.
    The way I see it, 1hr and 45 is way too long to spend at a subject, I do an hour then 10 mins break then on to a different subject and it works for me, But i know different people do it differently!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fmurr34

pajero12 wrote: »
    The way I see it, 1hr and 45 is way too long to spend at a subject, I do an hour then 10 mins break then on to a different subject and it works for me, But i know different people do it differently!

Whatever works! :) the point is it's easier to learn the subjects equally when you have a timetable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

ugh i find it so hard to keep to timetables especially with homework and ialways feel so tired after doing all my homework and everything .. am i the only like this?

lainey108 wrote: »
    ugh i find it so hard to keep to timetables especially with homework and ialways feel so tired after doing all my homework and everything .. am i the only like this?

nope, pretty sure a lot of us are in the same boat. I'm just waiting til they ease up with the homework to start studying really.

I think personally I prefer to absolutely blitz one subject at a time, I've done a good 4 hours of chemistry and nothing else today for example, and I'm making great progress. I've covered 13 chapters. :L Going to do another 2 or 3 hours now. That's obviously just because I have an exam tomorrow, but in general I find it easier to stick to one subject for a long time, because once I get focused I get a lot done. Timetables are not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Just one proviso on the blitzing-there are some subjects that just won't work for. You would be far far better to do 20 proper minutes a day in maths for example than one 1hr 45 block.

Also it is very much quantity over quality. Have you turned off your phone? Logged out of facebook/boards.ie? asked your family not to disturb you as much as possible except on your break? Not staring out the window or cleaning your room?

20 minutes of solid focused work is worth an hour of work where you aren't concentrating and you will be far less tired. I got 545 in my LC and I never spent more than 45 minutes on one topic at a time nor did I spend more than 2-3 hours a night studying (not including recorded essays etc that I listened to when walking/going to sleep). However when I went to study I did nothing else but my work. If I found my mind wandering I gave myself a mental kick and reminded myself it'll take far longer if I don't focus. Oh and I took 8 subjects too although I dropped to pass in one of them in march of the LC.

Finally remember that right now homework is just as important as study. If you get your homework done properly now then you will have less revision in these areas later on

Just one proviso on the blitzing-there are some subjects that just won't work for. You would be far far better to do 20 proper minutes a day in maths for example than one 1hr 45 block.

Also it is very much quantity over quality. Have you turned off your phone? Logged out of facebook/boards.ie? asked your family not to disturb you as much as possible except on your break? Not staring out the window or cleaning your room?

20 minutes of solid focused work is worth an hour of work where you aren't concentrating and you will be far less tired. I got 545 in my LC and I never spent more than 45 minutes on one topic at a time nor did I spend more than 2-3 hours a night studying (not including recorded essays etc that I listened to when walking/going to sleep). However when I went to study I did nothing else but my work. If I found my mind wandering I gave myself a mental kick and reminded myself it'll take far longer if I don't focus. Oh and I took 8 subjects too although I dropped to pass in one of them in march of the LC.

Finally remember that right now homework is just as important as study. If you get your homework done properly now then you will have less revision in these areas later on

I don't know about maths, as I don't do any outside school. I had to impose that restriction on myself in mid fifth year, as I have too little self control when it comes to maths. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casperkiid

Any one doing more than six subjects should only do the extra ones at ordinary level. You're only killing yourself and at the end of it if you put all your effort into your top six they're the ones you'll definitely be counting. Fair enough if you need the likes of pass maths but get your pass but don't put a load of pressure on yourself to do great in every thing.
    I did that last year and now I'm repeating!

Advertisement