Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you cheat?

Options
  • 06-02-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

OK I admit it - I cheat using the save\load thing

I'm not proud, and I'm constantly starting new games swearing blind to myself I wont do it this time, but then....

It really really bugs me that after taking so much time buying "quality" and "important" players, setting up tactics, getting the right staff in etc etc, you then lose to the bottom team cos in the first 5 mins you lose your new striker for 5 months, even though you have the best physios and he was 99% match fit, and you have a player sent off!

Or you simply lose, for no good reason and it doesnt make sense after beating utd, pool and city to lose to wigan!

So there you go, I wish I could stop, but I just get so annoyed and I know its cos I'm still learning but GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

johnny_tightlips_l1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

No.

A few years ago I would give myself more money and wage etc but don't do it anymore in proper games. I have started a new game though that is just for fun so I might cheat in that but in my proper game, no. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

I'm not proud, and I'm constantly starting new games swearing blind to myself I wont do it this time, but then....

It really really bugs me that after taking so much time buying "quality" and "important" players, setting up tactics, getting the right staff in etc etc, you then lose to the bottom team cos in the first 5 mins you lose your new striker for 5 months, even though you have the best physios and he was 99% match fit, and you have a player sent off!

Or you simply lose, for no good reason and it doesnt make sense after beating utd, pool and city to lose to wigan!

So there you go, I wish I could stop, but I just get so annoyed and I know its cos I'm still learning but GRRRRRRRRRRR!
    I can definitely understand where you're coming from, I only re load if something off the wall and just stupid happens. Like when a player gets the ball and for no apparent reason he walks it out of play for a corner under no pressure and then they score. I just cant see this happening in real life so I re load.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭polarbearhead

whats the point in playing then?shock results happen in real football too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Yeah I know - I'm so weak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I think most have resorted to it at some stage, I went through a phase where I would save every couple of months with no autosave, then a shock result or something completely out of the ordinary would happen and I would quit the game with rage. Then I would end up reloading 10 minutes later and end up having to play a possible 10 games again just to return to where I had lost it, after a while of this I grew out of quiting in anger.

So nowadays I dont load/save, no matter the situation, thats what made my accomplishments with Newcastle so much more enjoyable. That was until I posted my success on Boards and got a reply implying my success was inconceivable and that they "dont like the sound of that" but it turns out nobody on Boards likes the person who said that so that cheered me up.

I've been able to resist most of the season now and it is much better, I'm actually in 4th spot and reached the cup final.

Grrrr for losing to the 2 bottom sides though as the same team and tactics beat Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea??!!

I will start a new game and this time.... I swear I'll go straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Yeah i tried rebooting the pc to see if the liverpool bolton result would change from a few weeks back...

it didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Its not the cheating that bothers me at all, its the bragging from those that do it and then go on and say "Oh I'm unbeaten in 5 years with so and so." That's because you reload after every fcukin defeat you moron!

One of my old housemates was saying how he took his team (Villa) to the top of the league and to win the champions league. How he did this was to create a second manager at a rich club and to buy his crappy players for £15/20 million a piece and then buy in expensive players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Back in the Championship managers days of Football manager i'd be manager of a huge team and buy my shít players for huge fees.

I saw it as a game in that sense and the fun of building my dream team,

As the years have gone on i've gotten out of that habit, i'll still occasionally reload the game but this tends to only happen on the last game of the season when i somehow always need 1 point for promotion and i've beaten the team 2 or 3 times before that,

But it is satisfying when you spend a week in preseason looking for decent players rejected by the big teams.

As they say one mans garbage is anothers treasure :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

allanb49 wrote: »

But it is satisfying when you spend a week in preseason looking for decent players rejected by the big teams.

As they say one mans garbage is anothers treasure :D

I did this with Brentford after they were relegated to L2. Brought in a load of youngsters that had been let go and I have them for 55pounds a week. 4 games into the season, 3 wins, 1 draw and I've scored I think 10/12 goals!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Once had a 36-0-0 season with Celtic when I was about 12. Can't for the live of my understand how that was fun, never do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

in previous versions yeah, ive done it all, changed clubs reputations, made players like me and the club, given myself loads of money, create other managers of top clubs and buy my youth squad!

nowadays I try play it properly, only thing I do insist on being able to see is the ability ratings of players!

cheating? yes!

do I care? no!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have yet to do any kind of cheating and I don't think I will. For me one of the most frustrating and fantastic things about football is that out of the ordinary, off the wall, unexpected and unlikely things can and do happen. Freak results, losses that should be wins, it's all part of the game. The challenge is how you cope with that and whether, on balance, you have been able to create a club that succeeds regardless.

I'm still pissed off that my greatest loan signing of the season broke his foot in the third game and had to go back to his club :( But now the challenge is finding someone else to take his place before the window slams shut. :D

I think the thrill of an unexpected or hard fought win would be diluted for me if I ever allowed myself cheat. Gotta take the rough with the smooth. It's a single player game though so cheating doesn't harm anyone. I just wouldn't do it because it makes the victories feel empty for me.

I have yet to do any kind of cheating and I don't think I will. For me one of the most frustrating and fantastic things about football is that out of the ordinary, off the wall, unexpected and unlikely things can and do happen. Freak results, losses that should be wins, it's all part of the game. The challenge is how you cope with that and whether, on balance, you have been able to create a club that succeeds regardless.

I'm still pissed off that my greatest loan signing of the season broke his foot in the third game and had to go back to his club :( But now the challenge is finding someone else to take his place before the window slams shut. :D

I think the thrill of an unexpected or hard fought win would be diluted for me if I ever allowed myself cheat. Gotta take the rough with the smooth. It's a single player game though so cheating doesn't harm anyone. I just wouldn't do it because it makes the victories feel empty for me.

Yep, although I resisted the rest of my game, when I finished 2nd it was a "meh" moment even thought my cup win was for "real".

So I will start a new game and take the rough with the smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,245 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No I don't because it would defeat the purpose of playing the game. If I wanted to try convince myself I was winning games while really knowing I wasn't, I could just save time and do something else while engaging in a bit of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Have never done it, never will.

project1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

at the end of the day, this is a computer game designed for entertainment. if somebody wants to make accrington stanley the greatest club on earth with a 1billion bank balance and a 250k seater stadium, then go for it!

i perrsonally prefer the challenge of making and shaping the club through the trials and tribulations that the game throws at you. I have used fm software like genie scout and fmrte but theres no shame in it if your just up for havin a laugh and winning it all

i have an awful habit of hording great young players yet cant give them a run out in teh first team so their progress is stunted in the reserves. so sometime i edit my affiliates so i have a big selection of teams of varying standards. i havnt done this in fm12 yet and iv promised myself i wont.

but i think we will all agree, our best and most memorable games are the ones where we spend hours and hours pouring over attributes and stats in order to bring in a star striker for a struggling league 2 team in order to save them from relegation and hope that in a season or two, we will be competing for promotion.

cheat if you must, i know its fun, but at the end of the day, your only cheating yourself out of true satisfaction and entertainment!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Keno 92 wrote: »
    johnny_tightlips_l1.jpg
    Favorite character

"Johnny Tightlips, Where'd they hit you?"
    - "I aint sayin' nothin' "
    "But what'll I tell the doctor?"
    - "Tell him to suck a lemon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Hi, I'm johnners2981 and I'm a long time cheater.
    It started off small, maybe if one of my star players was about to be sold against my wishes I'd take over that club and cancel the transfer, little innocuous things like that.

But then I tried new things, bigger and better things. Like selling all my crappy players for millions, reload a save if I lost an important game or a player got a serious injury. I knew it was bad but I still enjoyed my FM and got on with my life.

But something happened that changed everything...... I found the FM editor. It was everything a cheater like me could ever dream of.
    Oh my, he's getting a bit old. Not anymore, he is now a 17 year old wonderkid with 90 caps.
    Hmm I think his stats are a bit low. 20,20,20,19,20,20,20. That's better and that 19 makes it quite realistic because there is still extra potential that my new 200 CA/PA coaches should develop.
    Everyone in Ireland wants to attend all my home games and pay outrageous prices for a seat, who am I to stand in their way? A lovely new 5 million capacity stadium should accommodate them all.

But ever since that day FM has never been the same, winning that match, that cup that league has not brought that wave of euphoria that it used to.
    So I quit.
    I realised I had to or it was going to destroy me and my FM. And I couldn't let that happen and in the end after a prolonged struggle I prevailed.

I've now been FM editor free for 6 months and life is good again.

But a new evil is appearing above the surface......

• Advertisement

Hi, I'm johnners2981 and I'm a long time cheater.

its ok, we're all friends here, we all know what you are going for...

we're here for you

WilcoOut wrote: »
    at the end of the day, this is a computer game designed for entertainment. if somebody wants to make accrington stanley the greatest club on earth with a 1billion bank balance and a 250k seater stadium, then go for it!

i perrsonally prefer the challenge of making and shaping the club through the trials and tribulations that the game throws at you. I have used fm software like genie scout and fmrte but theres no shame in it if your just up for havin a laugh and winning it all

i have an awful habit of hording great young players yet cant give them a run out in teh first team so their progress is stunted in the reserves. so sometime i edit my affiliates so i have a big selection of teams of varying standards. i havnt done this in fm12 yet and iv promised myself i wont.

but i think we will all agree, our best and most memorable games are the ones where we spend hours and hours pouring over attributes and stats in order to bring in a star striker for a struggling league 2 team in order to save them from relegation and hope that in a season or two, we will be competing for promotion.

cheat if you must, i know its fun, but at the end of the day, your only cheating yourself out of true satisfaction and entertainment!

This

"i have an awful habit of hording great young players yet cant give them a run out in teh first team so their progress is stunted in the reserves"

PLUS 1000.
    In fact one of the joys of managing a club like newcastle where the big names just wont come to you is actually having to play them!
    Still cant get Eric Torres up to scratch though!

danniemcq wrote: »
    its ok, we're all friends here, we all know what you are going for...

we're here for you

Thank you, how kind of you to offer as I think I actually could use some help now.

You see, I've found a new cheat and I'm not sure if anyone is aware of it because can't find it discussed on the internet and it's in all the FM managers I've played, so read on at your own peril.

So in this one match I couldn't score even though I'd about 30 attempts at goal and all the possession and of course they score a last minute winner. I wanted to rage quit but I couldn't really otherwise I'd lose lots of progress. But I did not want to stick around for the last few seconds of the game so I went on holiday to calm my nerves.
    When my well deserved one day holiday was over I fully expected a backlash in my news items for the unexpected 0-1 loss but I saw something I was not expecting.

0-0. What the fook? That's how I found out that if you go on holiday when the opposition are just after scoring it wipes out that goal and then your assistant manager takes over for the rest of that game.

It's a massive cheat and very easy to use, very tempting when your frustration levels sky rocket.

So I think I'm doomed to forever be a cheat unless they rid the game of this flaw as I can't control myself when frustrated, you might think I'm not dissimilar to Bruce Banner except instead of turning into the hulk I go on holiday.

Can anybody help me?

was this a once off or did you try it again after the time mentioned above?

I never even knew you could go on holiday during a match!

danniemcq wrote: »
    was this a once off or did you try it again after the time mentioned above?

I never even knew you could go on holiday during a match!

Yeah it works anytime for any match and yup you can go on holiday during a match

I consider myself a changed man after coming clean
    Started a new game, finished 7th and reached the CC final only to be beaten by Burnley. Now normally that would be enough for me to re load and play again, but I accepted it.
    Now in my second season and joint 1st having beaten Man U and Liverpool and drew with Chelsea, unbeaten in 12 games

The difference is I changed tactics rather than players.
    Most good players still wont come to me cos I cant offer CL football, but I enjoy bargain hunting
    Sturridge and Kadlec are doing the biz for me, but Demba Ba is dreadful!
    I've still got the guts of the Newcastle team and they are pretty solid.
    Steven Taylor - near post headed goals now = 8!, yet he is the weakest of my defenders!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Was following some #FM2012 tweets on twitter and this came along..

cheatfm12.png

Lost out on the treble? Ah, nothing a quick re-load wont fix! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i use the genie scout. so in many people's eyes, yes, i do cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

Used to cheat, but it's not as good. It took the fun out of the things that make the game fun. The scouting, tactics, hiring staff, trying to find ways to get that last few million to buy a player, dealing with the injuries, keeping players/the board happy, making your own training schedules. Winning trophies when you don't cheat actually feels like a massive accomplishment, even though it's just a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was clean for my entire game with Barnsley now, except for something that happened yesterday. I'm Wales manager in the game too, something, in the 2017/18 season and in the week before a crucial WC qualifier Bale and Joe Ledley, probably my 2 best players get injured within 3 days of each other. I just got extremely pissed off and turned it off, thinking I'd autosaved but it went back like 3 games. Pretty similar results but regret having to go through all that again.

Advertisement