Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Eircom issue - cant reconnect

Options
  • 06-02-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

Im sick to the teeth of the service I've had to put up with the last year. I tried to cancel when the contract was up but they informed me of a cancellation fee unless I waited out until the new contract end date, the result of them updating this date when we needed to upgrade to unlimited downloads. Eircom can say what they want about this being part of terms and conditions but it is sneaky and only a rise to tie people in longer and not switching to an alternate ISP.

The Internet itself has always been piss poor and since my new housemate arrived (I got someone to move in for 3 months so I could avoid paying the cancel fee before I decide to move on, thank you eircom), he brought his Xbox and connected it. It can't keep online unless directly connected via the Ethernet cable and it near kills dead the speed of other devices. My work connection to VPN becomes awful delicate too. Ive had to ask him to refrain until I'm done which is unfair on him.

To my current problem. Earlier tonight while my housemate was using Netflix on his Xbox all my devices got kicked off the line and none of them can reconnect, they aren't even asked to renter the password. this has been the case all evening since 6.

To use the old South Park solution, I turned the modem off and on and it did nothing to help. So now I'll not be able to log on to work tomorrow at home if I can't connect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Im sick to the teeth of the service I've had to put up with the last year. I tried to cancel when the contract was up but they informed me of a cancellation fee unless I waited out until the new contract end date, the result of them updating this date when we needed to upgrade to unlimited downloads. Eircom can say what they want about this being part of terms and conditions but it is sneaky and only a rise to tie people in longer and not switching to an alternate ISP.

The Internet itself has always been piss poor and since my new housemate arrived (I got someone to move in for 3 months so I could avoid paying the cancel fee before I decide to move on, thank you eircom), he brought his Xbox and connected it. It can't keep online unless directly connected via the Ethernet cable and it near kills dead the speed of other devices. My work connection to VPN becomes awful delicate too. Ive had to ask him to refrain until I'm done which is unfair on him.

To my current problem. Earlier tonight while my housemate was using Netflix on his Xbox all my devices got kicked off the line and none of them can reconnect, they aren't even asked to renter the password. this has been the case all evening since 6.

To use the old South Park solution, I turned the modem off and on and it did nothing to help. So now I'll not be able to log on to work tomorrow at home if I can't connect.

Hi Homerun_homer,

Thanks for your post.

First, eircom's primary source for Technical advice is Broadband Support. I've checked with Broadband Support and have confirmed that you have called them into them once over 1 year ago : 19/01/2011:
    On that occasion Broadband Support advised you to contact Sales in order to find out when your phoneline /broadband exchange would be upgraded to NGN (Next Generation Broadband). At the time you were on eircom's Home Advanced 3Mb Package.

Since that date there is no other record of you calling into eircom Broadband Support for help with your broadband.

Like every other Residential Broadband provider, Broadband Support will only support their own equipment. Broadband Support are not able to support a 3rd party (company) or private network. Even if they had a license they are unable to directly support 3rd party Games Consoles (PS2 /3, XBox, etc). Like other providers, Broadband Support will however instruct on basic settings for most routers using Games Consoles. Please see the following website link on our Customer Support Forum.

Set up Gaming and your WiFi Gadget

Along with many eircom Customers, eircom Broadband Support have produced a LIST OF specific websites which are intended to help /advise on setups from these Games Console or SmartPhone manufacturers, etc.

ULTIMATELY HOWEVER, IT IS THE MANUFACTURER (OR VENDOR) OF THE PARTICULAR DEVICE, WHICH SHOULD PROVIDE YOU WITH YOUR PRIMARY SOURCE OF SUPPORT FOR THEIR EQUIPMENT.

In your own case you should firstly speak with your Games Console Support for assistance with their equipment.
    Web: Xbox Support
    E-mail: supxbxen@microsoft.com
    Phone: 1800 509 186 (9-10 Mon-Fri, Sat 9-8, 9-5 Sun)

Connect your wireless device Please find the list of the most popular wireless devices below and istructions on how to connect them to a wireless network.

xbox.jpgXBox 360 ps3.jpgPlaystation 3 psp.jpgPlaystation Portable (PSP) wii.jpgNintendo Wii ds.jpgNintendo DS iphone4.jpgiPhone 4Pdf file iphone.jpgiPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS ipod-touch.jpgiPod Touch ipad.jpgApple iPadPdf file htc.jpgHTC Phones sonyericsson.jpgSony Ericsson Phones samsung.jpgSamsung Phones lg.jpgLG Phones *Note: If your device is not listed here please refer to the user manual for guidance how to connect to the wireless network.

Technical Support have remotely lowered your firewall. They have also tested your broadband connection, and run a number of diagnostic tests. All pass. Your broadband is syncing well on 12Mb, and the connection is staying relatively solid across the authentication servers.

http://twitpic.com/8gulyh

Before checking to see if you have a local wireless issue, I would advise that you test all your connectivity over Ethernet (cable) first. This will rule out any local wireless issue you may have.

Once you've estbablished your connection is sound then try 'wireless'.
    The following suggestions on our Customer Support website on the eircom Forum should be helpful :

Improve Your Wireless Setup

Also, please see the following LINK to XBox Live Wireless Support

If you any further eircom Broadband related query, please contact :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call time and help if you need to follow up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I can follow this up with Technical Support.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement