Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for sunroof glass changed on porsche 924

• 06-02-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I got my 924 and I need to change the sunroof, as it is leaking. The previous, previous owner had a weird taste, and he put some sort of weird plexiglass as a sunroof.
    But guest what is it not really water proof so I wanted this remove and either a fix window fixed or an opening sunroof.

Any recommendation is welcome.
    thanks
    Superfly

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Did the plexiglass sunroof tilt and remove like the standard sunroof?

What colour is the car? Shouldn't be that difficult to source a replacement.

What about this?

The important thing is to have the clips, fasteners and seals present. And that the motors work. If they don't work I'd just seal it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...if it wasn't a metal panel, then it wasn't a Porsche 'glass' roof - sounds like some form of DIY job, tbh.

The only 'proper' fitting 'glass' roof made for them was a company called Saratoga, way, way, way back.............and if you had one: it's worth a lot. See one, here: US$1,000 for it..... :eek:

dsc_0135.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-924-944-968-used-parts-sale-wanted/396393-saratoga-top-very-rare.html

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

Hi Guys,
    The sunroof is a after market one, which is crap and not efficient really.
    You can't open it, and it is a plexi window not a proper glass.

So I am having a actually dilemma:
    - Replace with a proper glass at the right dimension and seal properly, I don't care about opening sunroof really. It is not like we are living in a sunny country. ;)
    - Replace the actual sunroof, by the original one. I have a spare one.
    - Replace with a metal, and basically remove it. I got the roof re-painted about 3 weeks ago so I am not looking forward getting this job done again. :rolleyes:

So what do you reckon is the best and cheaper course of action?

I would like to get quote on the actual proper glass and all, where should I start?

cheers

Btw the color is surium red. It is nice and shiny. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

superfly35 wrote: »
    Btw the color is surium red. It is nice and shiny. ;)

Surinam red I think superfly ;)

Maybe just manufacture a better fitting sunroof out of a sheet of plexiglass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

Hi guys,

I got my 924 and I need to change the sunroof, as it is leaking. The previous, previous owner had a weird taste, and he put some sort of weird plexiglass as a sunroof.
    But guest what is it not really water proof so I wanted this remove and either a fix window fixed or an opening sunroof.

Any recommendation is welcome.
    thanks
    Superfly
    depending on where you are ,i might be able to help you,do you have a pic of the roof ?
    it's possible the car was a solid roof,and a previous owner,decided to fit a sunroof in it

salysol wrote: »
    it's possible the car was a solid roof,and a previous owner,decided to fit a sunroof in it
    Yeah - was this the case?

If there was originally a sunroof, you never said if the motors etc. were still there and functioning.

If they were, I would certainly try and get a proper sunroof fitted as I disagree that we don't get enough weather! I use any excuse to pop mine out and enjoy the air (window has to be open a crack though!)

If there was no sunroof originally, seal her up with whatever you can find. ;)

depending on where you are ,i might be able to help you,do you have a pic of the roof ?

Yes the car was a having a solid sunroof and the PO decide against the logic to fit is crappy sunroof (DIY job).

I have a question about original sunroof car, do they have a different roof then a non-sunroof one, like double skim and so on?
    Dades wrote: »
    Yeah - was this the case?

If there was originally a sunroof, you never said if the motors etc. were still there and functioning.

If they were, I would certainly try and get a proper sunroof fitted as I disagree that we don't get enough weather! I use any excuse to pop mine out and enjoy the air (window has to be open a crack though!)

If there was no sunroof originally, seal her up with whatever you can find. ;)

However those car exist with a original sunroof, which I happen to have a spare one. I have to say I have no idea if the spare sunroof I have as a functioning motor and all but it would not be a proper to find the required part.

I don't even know if the lads cut their DIY sunroof at the right place or not.
    I will need to check all of that, I won't be able to check this until few days now. :(

Btw this sunroof does not actually open it is simply a plexi which has been seal. The sort of bolt head you can see are proper bolt drill in.... :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of the sunroof :

th_ebayporsche047.jpg

Thanks for the help lads.

Yes the car was a having a solid sunroof and the PO decide against the logic to fit is crappy sunroof (DIY job).

I have a question about original sunroof car, do they have a different roof then a non-sunroof one, like double skim and so on?

However those car exist with a original sunroof, which I happen to have a spare one. I have to say I have no idea if the spare sunroof I have as a functioning motor and all but it would not be a proper to find the required part.

I don't even know if the lads cut their DIY sunroof at the right place or not.
    I will need to check all of that, I won't be able to check this until few days now. :(

Btw this sunroof does not actually open it is simply a plexi which has been seal. The sort of bolt head you can see are proper bolt drill in.... :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of the sunroof :

th_ebayporsche047.jpg

Thanks for the help lads.
    give me the dimensions of the sunroof.
    bear in mind the following,if you decide to fit the original sun roof. you will have to check and see if the drain pipes are fitted,these come from each corner of the sun roof,there will be 2 pipes one each side of the windscreen exiting behind the bulkhead,then there are 2 on the back going into the storage area on each side of the boot.
    as for motors to operate the roof that didn't come in till 82 so if your car is older it would have been a complete manual removal sunroof that you placed in a bag in the boot,there will also be 4 indentations around the sunroof ,that is used to lock or loosen the roof + you will need the roof seal which is very expensive.
    a lot of head aches to stop a leak.if it was me i would take the sunroof out,clean any silicon or adhesive off both parts and get a tube of black tiger seal and re seal the roof,it would be the easiest way round it.

give me the dimensions of the sunroof.
    bear in mind the following,if you decide to fit the original sun roof. you will have to check and see if the drain pipes are fitted,these come from each corner of the sun roof,there will be 2 pipes one each side of the windscreen exiting behind the bulkhead,then there are 2 on the back going into the storage area on each side of the boot.
    as for motors to operate the roof that didn't come in till 82 so if your car is older it would have been a complete manual removal sunroof that you placed in a bag in the boot,there will also be 4 indentations around the sunroof ,that is used to lock or loosen the roof + you will need the roof seal which is very expensive.
    a lot of head aches to stop a leak.if it was me i would take the sunroof out,clean any silicon or adhesive off both parts and get a tube of black tiger seal and re seal the roof,it would be the easiest way round it.

I can salysol that you have a deep knowledge of the 924. So let's forget the change of sunroof to the original one, to be honest it sounds to much work at the minute, I have more urgent stuff to be doing.

The problem with the actual sunroof is it is not really a sunroof it is more a piece of plexiglass which has been made on demand and seal on the car.
    I will get you a pics inside and outside, maybe tomorrow if the weather permit and so as the dimension.

What basically I will which to find is a piece of security glass used for the sunroof normally and just fitted that stuff on it end of.
    Ideally I will which to find a "right dimension" sunroof, and simply fit it in.

Do you reckon it could be done this one?
    I have

• Advertisement

I measure the sunroof and it 81 cm length or 45 cm wide.

Do you know if it is standard ?

I think the problem comes more from condensation then a actually leak.

Cheers

I'm certain that is an aftermarket job.

Whether it was ever meant to open or not I don't know - but a 924 sunroof won't fit in there. You can tell by the corner radius - the Porsche sunroof is much "squarer" and bigger too, I'd say. You definitely won't have the motors installed you need for an original one.

You might just be better off using some sealant for the leaks and leaving it there.

EDIT: A condensation issue is probably due to moisture in the car settling on the glass roof, like it does on the windows. To get rid of that issue you'd have to ensure all the seals on the car are tight (particularly the boot) or maybe add some headliner and lose the glass view above your head.

I measure the sunroof and it 81 cm length or 45 cm wide.

Do you know if it is standard ?

I think the problem comes more from condensation then a actually leak.

Cheers
    it's possible with the colder weather that you will get condensation on the plexi glass,i might have an after market roof that will suit will measure it tonight

Dades wrote: »
    EDIT: A condensation issue is probably due to moisture in the car settling on the glass roof, like it does on the windows. To get rid of that issue you'd have to ensure all the seals on the car are tight (particularly the boot) or maybe add some headliner and lose the glass view above your head.

Sorry Dades, what is the glass view you are talking about. So far I have something pretty simple leave the 2 windows slight open, just to keep the air circulation coming in.

Salysol, let me know if you have one. Thanks a million

I have book the VRT appointment, hopefully it won't rain too much that day. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe if you got an entry level webasto one a little bigger and fitted that?

Sorry, no idea what sort of budget you have.

i haven't had a chance to get a measurement ,but will do it first thing in the morning and let you know.
    what year is the car ?

Thanks a million Salysol. The car is from 1981.

I have an after market sunroof,that opens when you need it open,it's in a porsche 924 that i'm breaking,
    the dimensions are 32" by 18" which is close enough to yours.
    you should be able to make this fit.
    pm me your no and i will send some pics

I have an after market sunroof,that opens when you need it open,it's in a porsche 924 that i'm breaking,
    the dimensions are 32" by 18" which is close enough to yours.
    you should be able to make this fit.
    pm me your no and i will send some pics

Thanks a million, PM sent.

did you get the pics i sent you ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement