Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handheld vhf

• 06-02-2012 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Just a quick question guys, to find out some view or reviews on Handheld VHF,

Was hoping pick one up for the summer, for the occasional inshore trip, might have a look for something at the boat show, thanks in advance guys.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Ehhh What boat show ?

One hint dont believe that they will float.........well they will but only if they have no battery installed.....but they float.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have the Icom h/h that floats as the manufacturer claims, switched on and with battery in :p. Icom are a very good brand, the budget version would be Standard, just not as good in my experience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can pick them up quite cheep nowadays here is one for €65 http://www.marineparts.ie/electronics/vhf-radio/handheld-vhf/cobra-hh125-vhf-radio.html

Like moonshadow pointed out I don't think there is a boat show this year :( but you might pick one up at the boat jumble sale in Dun Laoghaire on the 25-3-12.
    Or at the Angling show this weekend in swords http://maramedia.ie/homeirelandanglingexpo1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Try to get a newer lithium ion powered radio. These are lighter and the battery holds a charge for extended periods of time. They also float and I've found a few washed ashore over the past year. These radios cost more than the older Ni-mh battery powered ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

My tuppence worth:

1. Make sure it's waterproof not water resistant, there's a big difference - not all marine VHFs are.
    2. Compare speaker output - if you have to turn it up to full volume in a gale, to hear incoming messages, they will be unintelligible.
    3. Floating is not necessary. Mine is attached to my life jacket, so the only way it will end in the drink is if I do - then at least I have my radio with me.

I have the Icom IC-M71, really good and really clear - I always think it's worth spending a few extra euro on something that can save your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

fergal.b wrote: »
    You can pick them up quite cheep nowadays here is one for €65 http://www.marineparts.ie/electronics/vhf-radio/handheld-vhf/cobra-hh125-vhf-radio.html

Like moonshadow pointed out I don't think there is a boat show this year :( but you might pick one up at the boat jumble sale in Dun Laoghaire on the 25-3-12.
    Or at the Angling show this weekend in swords http://maramedia.ie/homeirelandanglingexpo1

Thanks for reply fergal, but I had thought of going to the boat show in the rds this weekend, might it be worth the trip....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thanks for reply fergal, but I had thought of going to the boat show in the rds this weekend, might it be worth the trip....

I think you should ring the RDS before you head up there.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fergal.b wrote: »
    I thing you should ring the RDS before you head up there.:)

Was just going to say.... there's an awful lot of non-web-pages associated with it! Although none actually saying it's been called off....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

I have the standard horizon model hx280E. I find it excellent - the battery remains charged for months and it is robust and chunky to hold. Reasonably priced also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

I discovered recently that using a cheap handheld Cobra Marine in a waterproof pouch had a lot less wind noise than a waterproof Icom. The difference in an open boat was a workable transmission vs unworkable. Obviously the wind across the bars over the Icom housing - and any similar properly waterproof handheld- causes noise you don't get with a waterproof pouch.

Just a thought when considering what to buy, the waterproof pouch is a bit of a hassle but don't rule out a cheaper handheld because of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement