Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic route to Portstewart

Options
  • 06-02-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks, I am heading up to Giants Causeway next week for few days was looking for a few routes you might suggest or a few tips where to go or what should be on my itineiary.
    1. The route up from Dublin should I go through Belfast or avoid it and head up by Armagh, Cookstown etc.
    2. We are staying in Portstewart and I was going to take M2 A8 out towards Larne and head up through Glenarm, Cushendal, Ballycastle. Is this a good option?
    3. We hope to get some decent photographs along the way so where would you recommend.
    We have one night but 2 full days as we plan to leave Co Dublin about 7am to make the most of the days.

Thnak you in advance
    LeoB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

LeoB wrote: »
    Hello Folks, I am heading up to Giants Causeway next week for few days was looking for a few routes you might suggest or a few tips where to go or what should be on my itineiary.
    1. The route up from Dublin should I go through Belfast or avoid it and head up by Armagh, Cookstown etc.
    2. We are staying in Portstewart and I was going to take M2 A8 out towards Larne and head up through Glenarm, Cushendal, Ballycastle. Is this a good option?
    3. We hope to get some decent photographs along the way so where would you recommend.

It will be quicker to head through Belfast and on up to Larne. Take the A2 Coast Road from Larne - it's class. As for photos - there are loads of places on that drive that are worth stopping for pictures. It's really up to you were and when. Take a detour to Tor Head on the way (Ireland's closest point to Scotland). I'm not sure if Carrick-a-rede rope bridge is open at this time of year...Bushmills Distillery is worth a visit...Dunluce Castle...etc.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Penfailed wrote: »
    [/LIST]It will be quicker to head through Belfast and on up to Larne. Take the A2 Coast Road from Larne - it's class. As for photos - there are loads of places on that drive that are worth stopping for pictures. It's really up to you were and when. Take a detour to Tor Head on the way (Ireland's closest point to Scotland). I'm not sure if Carrick-a-rede rope bridge is open at this time of year...Bushmills Distillery is worth a visit...Dunluce Castle...etc.

Have to say it was one of the most enjoyable trips I have ever been on.

Stunning countryside all the way up and I am planning another trip without kids, just my cameras.

Carrick-a-rede, Dunluce castle, Giants causeway Torr head were great to visit. Not only is the area a hidden gem of Ireland but I would favourably compare it and put it ahead of many places in Europe.

Lovely people also which is a great help

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Glad to hear you had a pleasant trip.

It is indeed a bit of hidden gem alright. Everyone knows about the causeway but there is so much more to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

While the weather could have been better to get more use of my camera the drive back through the Glens was stunning, despite the rain.

It was stunning driving back and just as nice as the coastal route we took on way up. We came back by Glenarif and Glendun and I would have no problem recommending a few days trip to N.I

Torr head
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]6888288491_12e0511093.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Romeo and Juliette
    [EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]6888301435_6ba5140e8e.jpg[/EMAIL]">

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Nice one :D

Love the pics too :cool:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
Advertisement