Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf honeymoon

Options
  • 07-02-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

hey guys, has anyone any suggestions for a honeymoon that might take in a few waves, im getting married this month next year so we are thinking about heading to the maldives or maybe asia, anyone ever gone to either and done some surfing can anyone recommend nice beaches, reefs, hotels, travel companys etc, any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

dude does herself surf? this is a very important question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

hey guys, has anyone any suggestions for a honeymoon that might take in a few waves, im getting married this month next year so we are thinking about heading to the maldives or maybe asia, anyone ever gone to either and done some surfing can anyone recommend nice beaches, reefs, hotels, travel companys etc, any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!!

I have a better half that doesn't surf and we spent a week doing a road trip down the PCH in Cali and a week on the beach in Oahu. Can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Question is how good are you... Maldives would be ideal if you like reefs and you partner loves to be pampered or likes diving/snorkelling

New hotel opened up in the southern Maldives last year, worth a look at if you like empty hollow rights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Got married in the summer, went to Thailand, not much surf there, it was may decision. If we'd gone to Bali I'd have felt bad about going off to surf leaving the OH behind. The if we were doing tourist stuff I'd be pissed because I wanted to go surfing.Had that experience on a holiday in Portugal.

We had a ball in Thailand, saw lots, did tons of swimming and snorkelling, even gave scuba diving a go.

This time of year I'd look at NZ or OZ get your fix there the maybe with a stop off in Asia. Make it two halves one with surfing and one with none. How long can you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Nice one,

We got married on Kauai (Hawaii), spent 2 and a half weeks there and then also a week in Cali either side. Savage trip but far away. For this month you get the waves but the weather might be a bit dodgy (but better than here).

Maldives are nice but Feb is probably not a great month for there, plus she'd need to be into diving as apart from that there is not much to do.

How about one of the Caribbean Islands (Barbados, etc), probably loads of sweet hotels, good time of year there for waves, warm water, plenty of pamper options for the other half and you won't need to do much travelling once in situ.

NZ or OZ are great trips but I wouldn't recommend for a honeymoon, 1) the flight would kill ya after a great wedding and 2) you'd want to be on the road the whole time to get the most out of the trip ;)

Alternatively if you were cash strapped, look up some classy hotels on the Canary Islands (not from tourist brochures but online) and head there. Nice weather, waves everywhere, cheap fights, good times.

Enjoy the decision making :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

we have 2-3 weeks spare for honeymoon and wedding so prob be heading on a 15-16 day honeymoon, she doesnt surf and im not a major surfer but i do like to surf, beach breaks would be better and more than likely closer to the resort, would like to try scuba diving so thats why i was thinking the maldives

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I would go with LP's recommendation above (in fact we also got married in Hawaii - Oahu though - an spent time in SoCal before and after).

Road trip on PCH is a win-win for most couples. Difficult to recommend when we don't know budget. If you want a single location stay and typical honeymoon fare with some nice warm water surf thrown in, try Barbados. Very varied island with a lot to do and see. Good range of easily accessed breaks also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

South Africa is also an option. Plenty of surf along the garden route all the way from Cape Town to J-Bay and its very consistent. One tip - don't do the dog on it if the missus doesn't surf. She isn't going on honeymoon to sit on the beach and cheer you on while you're in the water (as I discovered ;))

Advertisement