Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words at 13 months??

Options
  • 07-02-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi alk, my son is 13 months old an i was just wondering should they have much words by now?? Couple of months ago he used to say dada mama a few times but now he doesnt seem to say it all all.. He doesnt seem to have any other words only a grunting noise if he wants something... Maybe this is all normal but ive no experience so bit confused??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I think Megan was about 15/16 months before the words started spewing out. Before that it was just mama/dada/boppy! Maybe a few more words too, but she became consistent with words at 15/16 months, and now at 2, I can't shut her up :D

At 13 months I wouldn't be worrying, the words will come!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't worry at 13 months. My niece just turned two and up until her brother was born at Xmas she was only giving noises and one or two single words. In the space of 6 weeks, it's turned into full-on sentences and chats.
    Nothing like a bit of competition to make one rise to the occassion! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sineadc1984

Definately don't worry!! At 13 months my little girl was talking loads knew all her animal noises aswell. I recently started minding a little boy who's 13 months and he doesnt say a word he just mumbles all day long :) They all do it at their own speed :) Enjoy it for now!! My little one is 17 months now and there is no shutting her up even when she's asleep and EVERYTHING is NO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My little lad has just turned 2 and is only now coming out with lots of new words other then mammy and daddy... the sounds they make at 6ish months are just that.. sounds rather than purposeful words. I had his 2 year check with the phn and i swear that these appointment make me feel like such an inadequate mother. Questions like is he putting sentences together :eek: eh no he's only got a few words.. is he putting on his own socks..:eek:what... no..:eek: this week he's putting more than one word together and is trying to put on his own socks:D might have been doing it when i wasn't looking, so sometimes they're doing it but you're not aware of it... i wouldn't worry at this age.. she'll soon be talking through any tv programme you're trying to watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

I wouldnt worry too much at all, my 3 were all late talkers, preferring to mumble than speak, has the youngest checked for hearing, i was that worried about him, but then out of the blue around 3, opened his mouth, that was 4 years ago and i dont think he has stopped since, all children progress at a different rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭MiamiMice

Might be no harm to check for any symptoms of Autism at the yearly checkup just to put your mind at ease.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/autism_signs_symptoms.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My 14 month old says mammy, daddy, her minders name, cheese, duck, quack, moo, dog, woof (and various other animal noises), no, yes, bottle, dodi, more, light, nose, ears and some others. I have been told she is advanced enough for her age though. To be honest I have only noticed her coming out with them in the last few weeks. I just can't believe how fast she is learning the stuff!

All kids develop language at their own pace so I wouldn't be worrying yet, especially if he is showing signs of understanding what you are saying. If you want to try encourage he speech engage with the babbling as much as you can, get some picture books and go through them naming everything, praise any efforts to repeat sounds etc. Same with going through the house, day to day objects, out on walks and all that. I wouldn't start to worry unless he is approaching 2 and still no improvement on where he is now :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 1st was talking really well at 18 months. Sentences and everything.
    My 2nd is 12 months and your lucky to get any words from her,they are all different and all do things at their own pace.
    Give it another 6 months before you get worried:)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My 1st was talking really well at 18 months. Sentences and everything.
    My 2nd is 12 months and your lucky to get any words from her,they are all different and all do things at their own pace.
    Give it another 6 months before you get worried:)

Thanks to all the replies,, all made me feel more at ease about the whole thing,, ill look forward to hearing his first few words:-) :-) in his own time of course.

Advertisement