Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning sickness

Options
  • 06-02-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

hi cant seem to be able to start a new thread from my phone...so im sorry for jumping in here my missus is pregnent on our second child.but is suffering terrible sickness not actually getting sick but barely making it home from work and getting into bed nausea sick.no energy at all.just general sick all them time...i feel terrible cos im limited to what i csn do.we tried the ginger and armbands etc route..is this normal shes aboutsix weeks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Split out and moved here from TtC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Is she eating and drinking? Do not suggest crackers or dry toast unless she asks for them... Seriously not the easiest things to be eating especially if drinking is hard!! Ice or ice pops can be helpful. Even ice cubes made with 7up.

It all depends how bad it is how normal it is! If she's able to eat and drink I wouldn't worry too much. If not then she needs to talk to doctor.. For easing the nausea a full stomach for me is easier than an empty one. Something like ginger nuts are easier than crackers plus they have a bit of sugar in them. You can get ginger sweets in the health food shop to try to see if they help? You can dissolve them in boiling water too to make a mild tea.

I never found the travel sickness bands any good, but to be honest Im in the really severe side of morning sickness so that doesn't mean they won't work. I also found smells really difficult so try and avoid putting aftershave etc on around her.

Was she like this with your first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Sounds normal unfortunately. I had it from about 6 - 16 weeks. All I could do was eat little and often and sleep as much as I could.

Hopefully it wont last too long for her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

anything minty helped me

Sucking a mint, or putting a mint in some cold water.

I also found apples helped me. Its kind of trial and error :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

It depends on the person... I really feel her pain, I literally could keep nothing down. I spent at least one day a week in the hospital with a drip in my arm.

ice lollies are good, pear picking porkies worked for me! Chips too! Which is weird because I hate them! They always used to settle my tummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

anything minty helped me

Sucking a mint, or putting a mint in some cold water.

I also found apples helped me. Its kind of trial and error :rolleyes:

I also found minty stuff helped with the nausea, I used to go through a pack of silvermints a day :-P when the actual getting sick stage started, and couldn't keep anything down, i found the sea sickness wristbands good for the nausea but theres a knack to finding the right position and i felt i had to have them really digging into me to work at all. Flat 7up was the only liquid i could keep down, doctor said it was probably better than water as the sugar in it would give me a bit of energy.

As staticdoor said, it really is a process of trial and error into finding something that works. Everyone is different, but if she's not keeping anything down she will need to see her GP to keep an eye on her hydration levels. I hope things improve for her :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

cyning wrote: »
    Is she eating and drinking? Do not suggest crackers or dry toast unless she asks for them... Seriously not the easiest things to be eating especially if drinking is hard!! Ice or ice pops can be helpful. Even ice cubes made with 7up.

It all depends how bad it is how normal it is! If she's able to eat and drink I wouldn't worry too much. If not then she needs to talk to doctor.. For easing the nausea a full stomach for me is easier than an empty one. Something like ginger nuts are easier than crackers plus they have a bit of sugar in them. You can get ginger sweets in the health food shop to try to see if they help? You can dissolve them in boiling water too to make a mild tea.

I never found the travel sickness bands any good, but to be honest Im in the really severe side of morning sickness so that doesn't mean they won't work. I also found smells really difficult so try and avoid putting aftershave etc on around her.

Was she like this with your first?
    no she cruised through our first..and thank god yesterday was good..couldnt go to work today tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I am exactly the same as your wife. This is my second also and just like your wife i am six and a half weeks. I have been quite sick for the last week however someone told me Sunday to take my folic acid at night time instead of the morning and i have found a huge difference in the last couple of days. Might be worth a try.

elaney wrote: »
    I am exactly the same as your wife. This is my second also and just like your wife i am six and a half weeks. I have been quite sick for the last week however someone told me Sunday to take my folic acid at night time instead of the morning and i have found a huge difference in the last couple of days. Might be worth a try.
    thanks for that it sounds like their might be something to it and itl be worth a shot...bad sgain tonight but she has eaten and shes in bed...god will this please pass...but at least knowing others have had it bad is Some comfort...a few times there ive actuall dialled 99 and had my finger hovering over 9..on our first little girl (shes 4) all great two of us enjoyed the whole lot even delivery was ...fun sort of...any way we had two mc'ssince then and this horrible sickness preceded both...so we are both terrified...i wish we could just get to the 3month mark..im tryin not to show it but am worried sick...herself is determined tho for a bro or sis..me .after this no matter what...never again

It depends on the person... I really feel her pain, I literally could keep nothing down. I spent at least one day a week in the hospital with a drip in my arm.

ice lollies are good, pear picking porkies worked for me! Chips too! Which is weird because I hate them! They always used to settle my tummy.
    sorry..whats pear picking porkies?not familiar with that term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Hattoncracker I have similar.
    16,5 weeks now, still fight with nausea and I barely can keep anything in my stomach for longer. I lost due to that almost 14 pounds. I gained 1st pound during last week while stuck in bed.

Maudi
    For me worked only basic chicken soup with carrot and some parsley, pumpkin seed bread with a little of butter and warm tea with ginger syrup. Nothing else on the long run, but I still find myself almost every day thinking how I can gain any weight when I can't keep almost anything in my stomach.
    Fingers crossed for your lady, so she will feel better soon.

Maudi wrote: »
    thanks for that it sounds like their might be something to it and itl be worth a shot...bad sgain tonight but she has eaten and shes in bed...god will this please pass...but at least knowing others have had it bad is Some comfort...a few times there ive actuall dialled 99 and had my finger hovering over 9..on our first little girl (shes 4) all great two of us enjoyed the whole lot even delivery was ...fun sort of...any way we had two mc'ssince then and this horrible sickness preceded both...so we are both terrified...i wish we could just get to the 3month mark..im tryin not to show it but am worried sick...herself is determined tho for a bro or sis..me .after this no matter what...never again

I've been through the mill with sickness: I have been off work since I was just 6 weeks with severe morning sickness: hyperemesis. I'd really ring doctor if things are that bad: even if only to reassure yourselves. Plus so that They are aware Of it. When I was in hospital (i was in hosp three times to get rehydrated) they kept telling me the nausea and sickness was a "good" thing: it meant I had high levels of hormones etc... It's a sign that you are pregnant, and your body is reacting to that. I had a mc too and we were so so scared with the nausea. Both of us still are at tines. Im 18 and a half weeks now: I had days where I vomited 20+ times. Nausea is more than normal in pregnancy, its just absolutely horrendous (for both of you I might add: my husband found it really difficult too) when you're that sick. Once she's able to keep food and water down the baby will take everything it needs. Try not to worry too much, hard as that is. And do ring doc if your worried: one phone call could lift that weight of worry a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Hi I just wanted to let you know that there is a condition called Hyperemesis, its not really something many people know about & most people assume its morning sickness but its actually a very severe form of nausea & vomitting which is completely debilatating. Im not sure if your wife is this bad but if she is please dont ignore it, she will neeed IV hydration if she is not taking in enough fluids, speak to your GP & of still unhappy speak to your hospital. Best of luck

I've been through the mill with sickness: I have been off work since I was just 6 weeks with severe morning sickness: hyperemesis. I'd really ring doctor if things are that bad: even if only to reassure yourselves. Plus so that They are aware Of it. When I was in hospital (i was in hosp three times to get rehydrated) they kept telling me the nausea and sickness was a "good" thing: it meant I had high levels of hormones etc... It's a sign that you are pregnant, and your body is reacting to that. I had a mc too and we were so so scared with the nausea. Both of us still are at tines. Im 18 and a half weeks now: I had days where I vomited 20+ times. Nausea is more than normal in pregnancy, its just absolutely horrendous (for both of you I might add: my husband found it really difficult too) when you're that sick. Once she's able to keep food and water down the baby will take everything it needs. Try not to worry too much, hard as that is. And do ring doc if your worried: one phone call could lift that weight of worry a bit :)

oops just saw your post! I am also a HG survivor! Not sure by your post if your still pregnant but just wanted to reassure you my babies were born perfectly healthy after 20 weeks if hyperemsis & 20 plus hospital admissions. Its the most horrific experience but thankfully it does pass. Only thing is it leaves you with an absolute fear of ever getting pregnant again! Best of luck

Hypermesis is what I had too. Was able to go in for one day after I found out I was pregnant, and couldn't go in at all after that.

One day a week at least (normally Friday) in the hospital being pumped full of fluids. Also became completely intolerant to milk, threw all dairy up within five mins of eating it. Tore my stomach lining, got severe kidney infections from the dehydration, skin on my lips fell off, etc.

And everyone thought I was exaggerating.

sorry..whats pear picking porkies?not familiar with that term

Pear ice lollies!

Hypermesis is what I had too. Was able to go in for one day after I found out I was pregnant, and couldn't go in at all after that.

One day a week at least (normally Friday) in the hospital being pumped full of fluids. Also became completely intolerant to milk, threw all dairy up within five mins of eating it. Tore my stomach lining, got severe kidney infections from the dehydration, skin on my lips fell off, etc.

And everyone thought I was exaggerating.

When did your HG end? Mine went to about 20 weeks, can honestly say it was the most horrific experience of my life. Were you in St Gerards?

I was admitted three times for a week each time and i went to a&e for fluids too. I was vomiting blood the last time I went in: which was about 14 weeks: Im nearly 21 weeks now. I had 4 really good weeks (and by good I mean constant nausea but nowhere near the same level as vomiting) but its been getting worse for the last week or two again. I eat the weirdest things: and dairy was impossible for me too!

I was at my worst vomiting 20+times in the day: I swear i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Its absolutely horrendous: I'm totally exhausted from it still. And I'm still not back to work!! Just too weak still :rolleyes:

HG is horrendous: and everyone thinks you are either imagining or exaggerating how bad it is because it is "just" morning sickness... or that they went through "exactly" the same thing.

I always wanted 3 or 4 kids: I just don't see how I could after this!!

I was admitted three times for a week each time and i went to a&e for fluids too. I was vomiting blood the last time I went in: which was about 14 weeks: Im nearly 21 weeks now. I had 4 really good weeks (and by good I mean constant nausea but nowhere near the same level as vomiting) but its been getting worse for the last week or two again. I eat the weirdest things: and dairy was impossible for me too!

I was at my worst vomiting 20+times in the day: I swear i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Its absolutely horrendous: I'm totally exhausted from it still. And I'm still not back to work!! Just too weak still :rolleyes:

HG is horrendous: and everyone thinks you are either imagining or exaggerating how bad it is because it is "just" morning sickness... or that they went through "exactly" the same thing.

I always wanted 3 or 4 kids: I just don't see how I could after this!!

God love you I remember it so well, I really have never in my life experienced anything so physically & mentally devastating, I really cant stress enough how bad it was. My twins are 8 months now & Im still pretty traumatised by ny HG experience. Its true it makes having more children almost impossible, I was lucky to have 2. Hang in there, when it does pass & it will at some stage, you are gonna have so much fun eating! I ate rings round myself to make up for it! The attitude of people thinking you have "morning sickness" is infuriating! My HG was actually replaced by morning sickness at around 20 weeks & there is absolutely no comparison, morning sickness is a walk in the park. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy, it is worth it in the end.:)

elaney wrote: »
    hi guys thanks to all for the advice and reassurance she ......a bit better..good days n bad...not so bad though as to have to admit to hospital with that severe form(cant think of the name)she is getting nice and round tho which is a relief...how are the rest of you guys doing?elaney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

hi guys thanks to all for the advice and reassurance she ......a bit better..good days n bad...not so bad though as to have to admit to hospital with that severe form(cant think of the name)she is getting nice and round tho which is a relief...how are the rest of you guys doing?elaney?

Hi Maudi. Exactly the same as your wife. I have good days and bad. Last week was not too bad only sick a couple of times a day . Hoping it will be all over in the next couple of weeks. :)

Advertisement